Grenada - waterfalls?? Jumbie?

NYCruiseMom

I was just searching around on the web and saw some beautiful pics of waterfalls in Grenada. Jumbie...you're such a great help for all of us going to your island...I'm traveling with a friend, and our combined three kids. Do you think we'd be okay going to the waterfalls for a bit and then heading over to a beach? Are there waterfalls close enough to a beach that we could do both?

It would generally require driving i.e. hiring a taxi or going on a tour, but yes you could do both as nothing in Grenada is very far from anywhere else. Nowhere you could walk to though.

7 sisters is usually a nice stop (actually 7 different small waterfalls as the name implies) but while I haven't been there myself since the hurricane, I've heard that the trail - nromally quite a hike - is pretty bad and I'm not even sure of the status of the waterfall itself.

One of the tour operators is taking guests to Concord Falls though so that's apparently still okay.

And again, like 7 sisters, not sure of Anandale Falls. The area it's in was pretty trashed though so it probably isn't worth it.

Let me know if I can help any further. Not that I really did much here.

Let me know if I can help any further. Not that I really did much here.

You did help!! Is it possible to hire a taxi for the day? Say take us to Concord Falls, come back a few hours later to take us to the beach and then come back again to take us back to the ship?

The waterfalls at Concord are indeed open, these comprise a twin waterfall to which there is a small admission charge if you wish to walk to the bottom and the third part of these falls is accessible on foot.

The highest falls are at Mount St Carmel near Grenville where the upper fall has a drop of 70ft. It is is a 20/30 minute walk and as you approach the last part takes you down quite a steep slope. Again there is a small admission charge and you will also need the services of a guide. As the island is not large you should still have ample time to visit one of the islands beaches.

You did help!! Is it possible to hire a taxi for the day? Say take us to Concord Falls, come back a few hours later to take us to the beach and then come back again to take us back to the ship?
I'm not sure about the taxi thing having no real first hand experience in that area.

Of course, it is possible to hire a taxi but from everything I know, most people seem to do so for the day rather than being dropped off and asking the driver to return to pick them up.

I'm sure you could do that and while I'm not saying it will happen, you do run the risk of the guy not returning or being delayed or whatever. Do you want that concern putting a damper on your day?

In the end, it's up to you. Ask the guy how much it will be to simply remain with you for the day rather than to leave and return. If I were in your shoes and the price wasn't much different, I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing he's there waiting.

The highest falls are at Mount St Carmel near Grenville where the upper fall has a drop of 70ft. It is is a 20/30 minute walk and as you approach the last part takes you down quite a steep slope. Again there is a small admission charge and you will also need the services of a guide.

Why do I need a guide? Is the guide included in the admission charge?

The admission price does not include a guide, you can negotiate a price with him beforehand but I would suggest that you do use one as the path down to the falls is not clearly marked and I think would be otherwise difficult to find.

• 6 months later...

7 sisters is usually a nice stop, I've heard that the trail - nromally quite a hike - is pretty bad and I'm not even sure of the status of the waterfall itself. And again, like 7 sisters, not sure of Anandale Falls. The area it's in was pretty trashed though so it probably isn't worth it.

I'm taking my first cruise in April 06 and would LOVE to see an actual waterfall while in Grenada. Have any of these recovered since your last post?

Seven Sisters Falls - at present it is only possible to visit the bottom falls 2 together which is a 30-40 minute walk from the carpark. the higher falls are still inaccessible as the paths have yet to be cleared. However Iwould say it is still a lovely walk and offers the opportunity to cool off in the water before climbing back up.

Concord Falls are easily accessible by road.

Marquis Falls near Grenville are also open, this has the highest single drop waterfall in Grenada.

I am sure you would enjoy visiting any of these falls and you will still have time to visit some of the facilities Grenada has to offer.

Anyone know which of the falls/mountains would be the most challenging hike? We are active and looking for something more than a leisurely stroll. Have read about Mt Qua Qua and Grand Etang to Concord Falls. Any input on either of these or others particularly since the hurricane last summer?

Thanks.

Anyone know which of the falls/mountains would be the most challenging hike? We are active and looking for something more than a leisurely stroll. Have read about Mt Qua Qua and Grand Etang to Concord Falls. Any input on either of these or others particularly since the hurricane last summer?

Unfortunately due to Hurricane Ivan neither of these two hikes has yet reopened and nor is any date set for them to open. Of the hikes available I would suggest the one to the lower level of the Seven Sisters waterfalls would probably be your best option, might not be as strenuous as you were hoping for but I feel shaw you would find it enjoyable

Archived