What has happened to the SUN? (LONG)

IDKaren

I last sailed on the Norwegian Sun in 2006 to Alaska. That trip was my first with NCL, and I was sold on the cruise line. I have since been on the Pride of Aloha and the Pearl. Although I felt the Pride of Aloha left something to be desired, I chalk it up to its American crew. The Pearl was beautiful and we found our time quite enjoyable.

We are traveling on the Sun once again in less than a month on a 19-day voyage to South America in an Owner's Suite! We're excited about this trip, and we find the comments here surprising due to our past experiences on the Sun. I certainly hope the issues have been resolved.

What everyone needs to keep in mind is a cruise vacation is what you make of it. While there may be some crew members who are unfriendly, I've found that they are generally receptive to how you treat them.

I will state that I do not agree with tipping in advance, and I ALWAYS adjust my tips to zero. I prefer the personal touch of presenting a tip to those who have provided excellent service. Although the issue of tipping may make one feel the crew works less digilently than they would on other lines, I find this to be a fallacy. Crew, regardless of the line, will treat you with the amount of respect you treat them.

I'll report back to the message board after our upcoming voyage on the Sun.

Happy cruising!

Jason

I'm so glad to hear from someone on this cruise! My aunt and uncle are on the Sun. This is their very first cruise! I'm soooo hoping it's a positive experience for them. How's the weather and the sea? Is it calm? Of course, it usually is on the way down. Oh, I hope the delay in SF didn't bother them. Or the late train in Topolobampo. :rolleyes: I also hope they enjoy the food and service. They're in their 80s--but young for their age.

Thanks for the report!

We're sailing out of SF this November on the Sun. I've had one experience sailing out of SF once before (Princess - Golden Princess), and it did not go smoothly. The people working the dock were slow to load the ship, which delayed our departure by 4+ hours. This would not have been a problem under normal circumstances, save for the fact that the excess time allowed the fog to roll in and we were unable to see the Golden Gate as we sailed beneath it.

Here's hoping things will be smoother on November 3!

-Jason

We're sailing out of SF this November on the Sun. I've had one experience sailing out of SF once before (Princess - Golden Princess), and it did not go smoothly. The people working the dock were slow to load the ship, which delayed our departure by 4+ hours. This would not have been a problem under normal circumstances, save for the fact that the excess time allowed the fog to roll in and we were unable to see the Golden Gate as we sailed beneath it.

-Jason

Hi Jason, we will be sailing with you. Have you joined our meet & greet group, if not check it out and see the others sailing with us.

I last sailed on the Norwegian Sun in 2006 to Alaska. That trip was my first with NCL, and I was sold on the cruise line. I have since been on the Pride of Aloha and the Pearl. Although I felt the Pride of Aloha left something to be desired, I chalk it up to its American crew. The Pearl was beautiful and we found our time quite enjoyable.

We are traveling on the Sun once again in less than a month on a 19-day voyage to South America in an Owner's Suite! We're excited about this trip, and we find the comments here surprising due to our past experiences on the Sun. I certainly hope the issues have been resolved.

What everyone needs to keep in mind is a cruise vacation is what you make of it. While there may be some crew members who are unfriendly, I've found that they are generally receptive to how you treat them.

I will state that I do not agree with tipping in advance, and I ALWAYS adjust my tips to zero. I prefer the personal touch of presenting a tip to those who have provided excellent service. Although the issue of tipping may make one feel the crew works less digilently than they would on other lines, I find this to be a fallacy. Crew, regardless of the line, will treat you with the amount of respect you treat them.

I'll report back to the message board after our upcoming voyage on the Sun.

Happy cruising!

Jason

Jason, I agree with you that a cruise is what you make of it. I also believe the OP and the others who've stated, in so many words, that as of late, the Sun might be having some "issues."

DH and I are cruising her on a B2B Western/Eastern Caribbean Nov. '10. It'll be our first balcony cabin, and it happens to be a stern cabin too, which we're psyched about.

Just wanted to let you know, and others here who may not be aware, that anytime you remove or adjust the daily service charge, the employee's you give your tips to are required to turn them into the "tip pool." It's their policy.

If you keep the DSC in tact, any tip you give to an employee can be kept by them alone.

It's none of my business what anyone does regarding the removing of the DSC, but many pax are just not aware of what ultimately happens in that instance, even though their intentions are most admirable.

I look forward to your review when you return from your long, and hopefully, awesome cruise.

Jason, I agree with you that a cruise is what you make of it. I also believe the OP and the others who've stated, in so many words, that as of late, the Sun might be having some "issues."

DH and I are cruising her on a B2B Western/Eastern Caribbean Nov. '10. It'll be our first balcony cabin, and it happens to be a stern cabin too, which we're psyched about.

Just wanted to let you know, and others here who may not be aware, that anytime you remove or adjust the daily service charge, the employee's you give your tips to are required to turn them into the "tip pool." It's their policy.

If you keep the DSC in tact, any tip you give to an employee can be kept by them alone.

It's none of my business what anyone does regarding the removing of the DSC, but many pax are just not aware of what ultimately happens in that instance, even though their intentions are most admirable.

I look forward to your review when you return from your long, and hopefully, awesome cruise.

I believe the info stated re tips is absolutely correct. I have spoken to crew members on several different ships and lines and they all have said tips are put into a pool to be divided among all. That is why we leave the DSC as is and then give additional to those we think deserve it. I don't think this extra tip has to go in the tip pool, at least I hope not.

Thanks for the information - I was not aware that the tips went into a tip pool. This is something I shall keep in mind for the future.

-Jason

Hi Jason, we will be sailing with you. Have you joined our meet & greet group, if not check it out and see the others sailing with us.

Hi Eleanor-

It's a pleasure to "meet" a fellow passenger on this voyage. I'm new to this forum - could you direct me on how to join the meet and greet group?

-Jason

Good observations Nita. I agree with both of your posts. If we do something a lot, we get a little jaded after awhile...human nature. Then it's easy to get picky.

Plus the crew is probably bagged by the time fall rolls around. It's a pretty intense summer for them. Give them a break.

Kan, just wanted to let you know, I wasn't picking apart anything you had to say. I would have gottent back sooner, but we have had house guests. I love company but must say, I am glad they are on their way back home.

Nita

:(We went on the Alaska Re-positioning cruise on the Sun-9/13/-9/20. We have cruised the Sun twice-last year out of New Orleans and several years ago on the South American cruise-we have always loved it. Not so much this time.

Got to take the new Canada Line from airport to cruise ship-clean-fast-cheap way to get there! Got to docks early-around 11:15 and only had to wait about 35 minutes to start boarding. We were in line- asked if we were Latitudes member- said yes and were directed to another line. ONLY to find that Latitude check in had FOUR-vvverrrryyy slow and bordering on rude people and there were TWENTY lines for NON latitude members- so much for THAT perk.

Going aboard- stopped by photographer-told him did not want my pic taken- he actually blocked way and said "it is PART of the cruising experience". Don't think so- walked around him and of course you know how they are always there all during the cruise- usually not a problem but these people were SO pushy! SO many pics not bought- what a waste of paper.

Usually do balcony but with cold rainy weather decided to do window. REALLY liked cabin- 5202-VERY quite location and our room steward was freindly, helpful and on the ball.

So--the food- not iimpressed at all! Yup-could sure tell crew was tired after 5 months in Alaska. OR maybe it is since the KNOW they will be tipped no matter what-. No enthusiasm- slow-some were even really bordering on rude. Shame- never had that on the Sun before. Food was not that great-and not always warm when it should be warm or cold when it should be cold. Buffet- a DISASTER and now I remember why I liked the Jades-only one crowded long line to get food-slow-crowded and of course the ever present'- I ONLY want to get salad-so I will cut in here in front of you" arrrggghh! Desserts used to be SO Much fun on NCL now they are BORING> USed to be NICE sized Lobster tails-not puny little crawdad sized tails.

Entertainment was so so- the Cuban lady my oh my-high energy but pretty annoying-walked out. The comedian was funny and the magician was fun. Other enterntaiment- ho hum Oh-there were three girls with violins/piano-wonderful music- hardly anyone watched them and tha tis a shame. They were mostly in observation lounge.

Alaska- had been before so only went to Ketchikan and Juneau for a bit of "late season" shopping. SOOO many 'Ship sponsored" jewelery shops- WAY over priced and REALLY pushed on the ships for shopping. Did find a wonderfu pair of earrings at a 'local" store for half the price.

I love the Sun- and I usually love NCL but service and food really seem to be going down hill.. Hope they can get their act together cuz it is a shame!

We were discussing this and similar posts, and we had a comment to add. We're wondering if the issues observed on recent sailings were related to the devastating typhoon that hit the Philippines just prior to those sailings. I've heard that the typhoon was one of the worst in 40 years, so it seems likely that the crew members may have been focused on their families back home. This seems like it would be a reasonable response and could very well account for service issues.

Jason,

Your most recent post is well-intentioned, but I must say that the crew that we had an issue with on our trip were not Filipino. In fact, our cruise was in early September, before the typhoon anyway. I was really surprised by the poor attitude of the some of the staff on our cruise. As I have mentioned before, our room steward, concierge and butler were fabulous (as well as a few other crew). But everyone just seemed tired and irritated. And trust me, I have worked in hotels for years, so I know how hard it is to be on a shift in a customer service role for hours on end. In fact, because I work in hotels, I am always extremely friendly and playful with the staff and give the employees with a bad attitude the benefit-of-the-doubt. But this cruise was really shocking - bad food, bad service, pushy salespeople. There was the overbearing port shopping representative who got wasted in Skagway and fell down drunk at the cruise consultant's desk and then the cruise consultant had to pick him up and take him away after he started speaking "fake" Spanish to a Hispanic couple at her desk. And then there was the night I ate in the Sports Bar and ordered an orange soda (which was on the menu). When I ordered it, the waiter (who was already annoyed when we sat down and asked for a menu) said, "Uh, we don't have that" and just stared at me. Now I had had that orange soda at several bars on the ship. He could have tried to locate some (or at least say he was going to and then go hang out in the back to make look like some effort was being made). And the servers in the Four Season Restaurant acted like they wanted to be anywhere but there. And then there was the time on embarkation day when I was given a class of champagne by a crew member. I don't drink, so I gave it to my partner. My partner then went back to the same server to get a glass of orange juice and the server shouted, "No, this is only for people who have not had anything to drink!" The reactions of the crew was very shocking. This was a weird cruise!

After saying all of this, I don't want it sound like we had a bad cruise. We had a great time and enjoyed our trip. But the crew, overall, were not a happy group. I can agree with those who have suggested that maybe many contracts were about to expire and the crew were just tired.

Michael

I'm going to chime in here with the folks who have been telling you there is something WRONG on the SUN. I know it is natural to jump to NCL's defense, but someone needs to hear what is being said. This was not normal crew behavior. It was not just tired crew. There was something very, very wrong with a large proportion of the crew attitude. I felt like I should apologise to them for interrupting their vacation.

I've enjoyed many (9?) NCL cruises and I enjoyed myself on this one too, but as I tried to tell many shocked passengers, this was not a normal NCL experience. Anyone who has only been on the SUN in the last month or so, should not think in was "real NCL." Of course there were some wonderful crew (and we made sure they got extra tips and STYLE cards), but the overall experience was odd - very odd.

Our last NCL cruise was in July and our next two are in January. We aren't jaded or unrealistic. This was just not normal at all.

This was the loveliest experience. Great food, great crew, lovely cabin w/balcony. Only negatives were when cruisers were openly and loudly rude to a crew member AND the guy with the *&^%& cigar in the cabin below ours. Even when underway the stench filtered up and was awful. When he was leaning on his railing with the stogy, I was very tempted to pour the bucket of half melted ice right over our railing and put out the stupid cigar. No, I did not.

Thanks NCL for a great experience!

Maybe the OP has seen this and done that many many times before. But there are many cruisers who are on their first cruise. They look forward to good photos with their love ones and the mascots at the end of the gangplank. Its a waste of time for the OP, but not necessarily for everyone else.

If the OP found the end of the gang plank photo session annoying, I am sure the OP found the ship's crew and/or other passengers just as annoying as well. Annoyance is a state of mind, a negative state of mind....

I suggest she drink another drink, calm down, relax, and enjoy her next cruise. There is nothing wrong with the Sun, its the OP's attitude....

Don, you're focusing on the OP's post and not all of the other ones on here (including mine) in which we back up what they stated. What we experienced on the Sun during the past month or so is not a figment of anyone's imagination. If you'd read my post, you'd see that I have similar feelings about the ship and it's crew. I do think that the positive comments and negative comments are all legitimate. I don't discount what anyone says. I do think it's possible for two people to have two totally different experiences on the same cruise because, for the most part, they will be dealing with completely different staff. Like I said before, I'm not bashing NCL or the Sun. I just wanted to support the OP and let people know that I had a similar experience. And in regards to those "mascots" they have at the gangway, I didn't dislike them because I'm jaded or have a bad attitude. I find them annoying because they hold up the line. And in one case, when I told them (nicely) that I didn't care for a photo, the stuffed animal grabbed my arm and tried to still get a photo taken. That is completely outrageous behavior. I am 32 years old and have cruised 32 times. I am not old and bitter by any means. I work in the hotel business myself and I know what is acceptable and what is unacceptable. I have never seen such silliness in my life like those mascots. Please don't bash the OP because they gave an opinion. Unlike many people on here, they gave reasons to back up their opinion.

Michael

Jason, I was on the cruise with you where the dock workers took their sweet time loading the luggage onto the ship. I felt for Princess, because these stevedores don't work for the cruiselines. Yeah, it was frustrating. But, it sure didn't ruin our cruise! Unfortunately, the ships are at the mercy of the stevedores and other dock employees.

-Jason

We're sailing this Friday, 10/23. In this case, I hope we have a new crew! I will post a review when I return! I don't need special treatment... just efficient and polite service.

Since the Sun has moved to the Mex Riv from Alaska, there have been 6 reviews posted in the ship review section. 5 5 stars and one 4 stars. Perhaps there WAS a crew change...

Come back and let us know when you return...

We're sailing this Friday, 10/23. In this case, I hope we have a new crew! I will post a review when I return! I don't need special treatment... just efficient and polite service.

Hopefully most of the issues will have resolved themselves. Note that all of us still had a great cruise and encountered many helpful crew members. I did see that there was a specific time line on the problems. All seemed to be well in March, but those of us in late August / Sept saw an attitude we wouldn't describe as a typical NCL experience.

Bon Voyage!

We just came back on October 12th, from an eleven day cruise to the Mexican Rivera on the Sun and we had no problems with the crew with maybe one or two exceptions. Most were very friendly and helpful. The food we found to be very good, not worth critizing, if you don't like it, don't eat it, and order something else. We did not have one picture taken, a "no thanks" and a quick step was enough to avoid the photographers. The entertainment was good, not great, but it was included and took an hour and was in the most cases, fun. As others have stated, your vacation is what you make of it, just enjoy, you are not at work!

My cruise on the Sun was long enough ago (2004) that I'm not certainly not going to argue with those who had problems with the service on the Sun. After discussions with several crew members on other ships, who stopped us when my DH wore his T-shirt from the Sun to ask when we'd sailed, I'm a bit puzzled, however. Everyone of them we've talked to (probably 10 or more) has stated that the Sun has always been their favorite ship to work on. I guess it's slightly smaller size and the layout makes it easier for them to accomplish their jobs than some of the other ships.

Makes me wonder if these was something going on with the management in August/September that led to a disgruntled crew, or, if has been suggested, maybe they were coming to the end of their contracts and anxious to be off on vacation.

I'm going to chime in here with the folks who have been telling you there is something WRONG on the SUN. I know it is natural to jump to NCL's defense, but someone needs to hear what is being said. This was not normal crew behavior. It was not just tired crew. There was something very, very wrong with a large proportion of the crew attitude. I felt like I should apologise to them for interrupting their vacation.

I've enjoyed many (9?) NCL cruises and I enjoyed myself on this one too, but as I tried to tell many shocked passengers, this was not a normal NCL experience. Anyone who has only been on the SUN in the last month or so, should not think in was "real NCL." Of course there were some wonderful crew (and we made sure they got extra tips and STYLE cards), but the overall experience was odd - very odd.

Once again, the Philippines have been hit amazingly hard with natural disasters in the past month and a half. I truly believe that it HAS to have some effect on the crews morale ....even the best of them. I'm praying for them....I can't imagine their worry when they are away for 7 or more months at a time and communication is NOT good.

Our last NCL cruise was in July and our next two are in January. We aren't jaded or unrealistic. This was just not normal at all.

Once again, the Philippines have been hit amazingly hard with natural disasters in the past month and a half. I truly believe that it HAS to have some effect on the crews morale ....even the best of them. I'm praying for them....I can't imagine their worry when they are away for 7 or more months at a time and communication is NOT good.

Did anyone think about the affect of the typhoon to the Philippines as a possible cause of the staff being "off?" Many can't even get in touch with their families still. Just a thought.:(

As "TexA" explained when this was asked last week, "not related to the typhoon, not the Filipino staff." Of course we were all concerned about that issue. Looking back over the folks who posted that there has been a recent problem on the Sun, you can see we are all NCL fans, we are all Very Experienced cruisers, we were all worried about how the behavior would affect NCL's reputation AND we all had a good time despite what we saw as a problem.

As I think back on this, I think there was a major lack of guidance or supervision. This was a lax crew, not just tired or seasick or scared or worried (we have seen all of those in our previous 35 cruises/330 nights at sea). There are always a couple off-standard crew members and one lets that pass. This was a surprisingly large number of crew who did not know they were there to assist the passengers. Lots of attitude, lots of slack.

I originally came onto this thread because I had noted an appalling "shoot the messenger" response to the OP. I think the other posters who backed her up may have had the same reason. My practice is to read 100 before I write 1, so when I do share, I hope I will be viewed as an experienced, thoughtful, caring cruiser who had recent experience and felt they had something helpful to say:cool:.

I'm not trying to trash NCL or doubt the experiences of previous years. I'm writing not just for the few who post, but the many who only read. I hope someone from NCL is in that latter group.

I Know this was not normal NCL behavior. A new cruiser would probably not see anything amiss, a "new to NCL" cruiser might judge the line based on the behavior of this crew.

My big problem now is trying to decide how to get to South America. I walked onboard intending to book at least a month for 2011. Now I have to decide whether to change my line or change my destination.:(

we also spoke to a crew member on the Sun who told us people like to work on that ship because the staff quarters are not so tight- only two people to a room vs. sometimes as many as five or six on the newer ships.

there was a time, maybe six months ago, when the Pearl was getting alot of complaints that seemed pretty legit, and as I said then, it probably means the management is doing a poor job. It is the on-ship management that makes the work environment good or bad for the crew. Passengers only see the crew in action and blame them, not the big wigs making the decisions that are making the crew unhappy. Probably everyone is having to work harder and under more pressure to do more faster, sell more booze, pictures, bingo cards etc -and basically "pull rabbits from hats" in this economy where margins are shrinking and losses a reality.

Archived