Are Suites Worth The Money?

mayacamas

Obviously, pricing varies, but I would hazard a guess that this $3000 is a pretty fair estimate of the difference in cost between these two cabins...

The question IS...Is any of this worth $3000 more than that similarly sized Cat 4? Or over $2000 more than that smaller but very nice Veranda cabin?

I dont know where this price 'differential' comes from, but, at the 'baseline', doing a quick, 'sanity check' for pricing... 10 night western carribean on Summit pricing (feb 2005) is suites starting at 3650, and verandas starting at 2100. This is not a 2K swing.

I dont know where this price 'differential' comes from, but, at the 'baseline', doing a quick, 'sanity check' for pricing... 10 night western carribean on Summit pricing (feb 2005) is suites starting at 3650, and verandas starting at 2100. This is not a 2K swing.

It came right off my confirmations and my invoice...

And obviously, it varies cruise to cruise...

But, as to the specific cruise you mention, I am on the Celebrity website right now...

They show only 2 Sky Suites available (8125 and 8127)...The price, right off the website is $7900 for two for either...

They also show 2C Veranda Guaranties at $6100 for two...or 2 2Bs (7121 and 7141) for $6150...Add in some extra for that butler's tip and your fairly close to that $2000...

Not enough to make a major difference in my analysis, is it?

Even YOUR numbers show a $1550 difference...Does that really make it that much more palatable for most folks?

Sure, that pricing varies cruise to cruise...

If they ever want to upgrade me from a veranda to a suite for, say, $500 total, sure I'd take it...Again, some people won't...

You do get a butler--who you pay a nice tip to and who does a lot of little things for you--but, in an ordinary cabin, you have folks who do things for you as well......

You imply that having a butler requires that you make an additional tip for those in the suites, as opposed to those pax who do not have butler experience.

That is definately not our experience in Royal Suites on Celebrity. Instead of having a room steward, suites with butlers, have an assistant room steward and the butler. Our tip requirements were not any greater than the pax with a non suite. As to nice things done for you by the butler - yes, they are many and varied - which we greatly appreciate.

They also show 2C Veranda Guaranties at $6100 for two...or 2 2Bs (7121 and 7141) for $6150...Add in some extra for that butler's tip and your fairly close to that $2000...

Sure if you tip the butler close to $300.00. The per person suggested tip for the butler is $3.50 per day, or 7 per day for 2

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

There are always 'psychological' price points. $2k might be one of them. I dont think that's the same as saying 1500

But then again, even if you can afford it, maybe the money would be better spent giving it to charity. I have come out of dinner in restaurants in Manhattan after spending $500 for 2, and see homeless people on the streets, and know that there are some children who don't get $500 worth of food in a year (well, maybe that's exagerrating). So, I feel guilty, and the cruise only lasts a week.

You imply that having a butler requires that you make an additional tip for those in the suites, as opposed to those pax who do not have butler experience.

That is definately not our experience in Royal Suites on Celebrity. Instead of having a room steward, suites with butlers, have an assistant room steward and the butler. Our tip requirements were not any greater than the pax with a non suite. As to nice things done for you by the butler - yes, they are many and varied - which we greatly appreciate.

Yes, there is an additional tip for the butler. Celebrity's recommended tipping guidelines have a $3.00 amount for room steward ($4.00 for concierge class). This presumably is shared with the assistant room steward. For suite passengers, the recommended amount is the same for the steward and there is an additional recommended tip of $3.50 for the butler. Our Sky Suite was serviced by both a room steward and an assistant--not any different from a regular oceanview or balconied cabin, so the butler was clearly additional.

Bruin Steve has it nailed exactly as far as I'm concerned. We took a Sky Suite for the 11-day Canal cruise because it was only a few hundred dollars more than a balconied cabin at the time we booked. It was worth that to us, but at $1500 it would not have been. (And, after taking the cruise, I'm CONVINCED it would not have been.)

The key factor is the size of one's pocketbook. Lay (well, no more) and Eisner-types would turn up their noses at suites, would instead own or rent sizable yachts for their cruising, and proclaim it darned well worth it. But would it be "worth it" for most folks here to travel that way? I don't think so. There are some for whom $8,000 to $10,000 for a 10-day cruise is a pittance (look at some Crystal-and-the-like pricing). Some on these boards love to post things like "We would never cruise except in a suite" or even "We'd never fly other than first class." That's nice--if rather haughty in tone and rather crass in postings here--but that attitude might change quickly if their net worth were to decline by 90% overnight.

The point is that no one can answer the question "Is a suite worth it?" for you. It all depends on what the differential in cost means to you, not to anyone else, and to a rather significant degree that's a function of what--if any--trade-offs you might have to make financially in order to take a suite.

I agree with a lot of these posters, my comment remains---we LOVE the space provided in the larger cabins/suites--we can do without the butler & his services and some of the fancy amenities, just give us a nice cabin with a lot of room & a balcony--which doesn't have to be humongous!

I just looked at my invoices---for our 10 nt Mercury SS, we paid just about $3300, the FV we have booked on the Millie for 12 nts is $7100. Quite a difference for 2 more nights with no suite amenities, no butler & a regular sized bathroom don't you think? Yes, the room is approx. 25-30 sq ft larger but the balcony is not a heck of a lot bigger than the SS we had #1215.

On my first Celebrity cruise, we were in a "standard" sky suite, and then on the second in a standard "concierge class room." It was only due to our early arrival on board on the last cruise where walking around I realized how big the range was of the relative size of rooms.

I think if you can get one of the bigger and better sky suites, it is a pretty good value. For our next cruise we are in 6146 on the Connie and have heard that it is a great cabin, though I am still looking for some pics of this cabin to no avail.

I doubt I would have paid the premium price for a standard sky suite, as I like to maximize the bang for the buck so to speak. When I get a chance, I am going to make a stateroom priority list and only go on a cruise if I can get into a cabin that is on my list.

I have booked an Alaskan Cruise in a FV, so it will be nice to compare the 3 middle class cabins and see what is the best fit. I of course readily admit that I have upper class tastes with a middle class budget.

I don't know if all the ships are the same, but I just checked the square footage and lay-out of the Sky Suites vs. the concierge class cabins on the Millie. The SS is 30% larger (251 vs 191 Sq Ft), and the veranda is 40% larger (57 vs 41). I was in a SS on the Galaxy, and found it to be much more comfortable to be in than a regular cabin. The CC cabins are only slightly larger than most regular deluxe ocean view w/veranda, but the SS is definitely significantly larger.

I just looked at my invoices---for our 10 nt Mercury SS, we paid just about $3300, the FV we have booked on the Millie for 12 nts is $7100. Quite a difference for 2 more nights with no suite amenities, no butler & a regular sized bathroom don't you think? Yes, the room is approx. 25-30 sq ft larger but the balcony is not a heck of a lot bigger than the SS we had #1215.

Too many apple and oranges here due to itinerary and ship class differences. What you've demonstrated in large part is that a) Europe is more expensive, b) Millennium class boats are more expensive:

Itinerary Problem:

My guess is that you're comparing sailing to California/Mexico (Mercury) to a Mediterranean run on the Millennium. The Euro itinerary per diems are always quite expensive by comparison.

Ship Class Problem:

Comparisons between classes of ships also confuse the issue greatly since the Millennium class ships all tend to garner somewhat higher rates, even for equivalent cabins and itineraries... but that can be remedied somewhat... Generate a comparable number of nights (11 or 12) on the Summit and Mercury (or more easily, the Galaxy) in SS rooms. That would provide a more accurate comparison, but even then, Mercury's/Galaxy's Sky Deck SS is quite different from that of the Summit -- much more vernada space. The Summit FV and Galaxy FO cannot be validly compared as the latter has no veranda at all.

Available Cabins Problem:

You're also comparing apples to oranges with regard to the FV balcony on a Millennium Class ship and the balconies available in Sky Suites in another class of ship (the Mercury). With the exception of possibly two SS cabins towards the rear of the Penthouse deck, you can't come close to the size of a Millennium Class FV balcony in a Millennium Class Sky Suite.

Interesting (and perhaps more fair) Comparisons to Try:

1) Try a comparison of being in a FV on a Millenium class ship and in a SS on a Millennium class ship on the same cruise. FV is more room (both inside and out), at a good bit less expense. For a cabin with any veranda, the bang for buck (space per $) of an FV on an M-Class ship is definitely worth some consideration. For an M-Class ship, I think you chose very well if space is one of your primary considerations. No butler, no pastel towels, no afternoon horsed-overs delivered each afternoon. Yes, I enjoy them too, but if space is more important...

2) Try a comparison between the Summit and Galaxy for a comparable number of nights (11 or 12) when both are plying approximately the same waters -- for example, Western Caribbean to Panama and back, give or take. Pick your preference in comparable staterooms, though. The newer ship will indeed cost you more, indicating that in bang for buck (space per $), the older ships are also a better value. If the per diem is an issue, taking the Galaxy in Europe or Panama runs is typically going to cost you less than the Millennium class equivalent.

3) Try a comparison between any European and Caribbean itinerary for any of these ships using the same class room. The Caribbean will again provide more bang for the buck if the per diem is an issue.

I think a BIG part of the question about what a suite is worth can only be answered, even on an individual basis, by understanding what's really effecting the cost of a cruise in general. It can even come down to "Do I take a Sky Suite to Europe on a Millenium class boat, or take TWO cruises of the same length in the Caribbean in one of the bigger Sky Suites on the Mercury or Galaxy for the same money?" There's just too much variability in the price of "a suite" to answer the question properly.

Too many apple and oranges here due to itinerary and ship class differences. What you've demonstrated in large part is that a) Europe is more expensive, b) Millennium class boats are more expensive:

I didn't quote all of your post, but I did read it. I COULDNT agree with you more. Level headed, thoughtful analysis levels the playing field all the time.

The real answer to this (and unfortunately a lot of OTHER questions like it) is: 'It Depends'.

People ask this same question about many things. Is a suite worth it? Is a Mercedes worth it? Why buy a 6000 square foot house? Who needs a $5 Million yacht. I always have the same answer.

"Rich people have to have something different to spend their money on, or there would be no benefit to being rich!"

I am not rich, I am jealous, but I do not resent other's wealth! We always book a balcony cabin, so I guess, compared to some, I am rich.

• 1 year later...

As a travel agency owner, I NEVER try to sell a sky suite to a customer unless they have been in one or convince me that this is what they want (usually because of the snob appeal). The reason is simple -- and I am not comparing cruise lines here, only showing their pricing policies. A Royal Caribbean Voyager Class ship and Celebrity Millennium class ship will both open their starting balcony cabins (E2 and 2C) at approximately the same price. However, the Celebrity Sky Suite will open dramaticallyy higher than a slightly larger Junior Suite on Voyager Class and even higher than a Grand Suite on Voyager Class which is more than 50% larger. What you have is Celebrity charging a much higher premium for a little more space primarily because of suite services. I would never tell someone that a butler is worth that much of a premium; they would have to tell me. For a value on Celebrity, get a good TA and book the FV cabin. More space than an SS, MUCH larger balcony than an SS and a lower price -- at least when the sailing opens.

Archived