Afternoon Tea

karatemom2

We are taking our first cruise with HAL next summer on the Amsterdam. We have been on numerous Princess cruises and afternoon tea is a favorite activity for my daughter and I. We would love to hear from you experienced HAL cruisers about what the experience is like on a HAL ship.

My mother and I went to one afternoon tea aboard the Westerdam. There were a variety of teas availbale to choose from, also finger sandwiches and little desserts. Unfortunately, after eating lunch 2 hours earlier we weren't hungry but the tea was nice. The one thing I didn't like was we sat at long tables. I would prefer round tables where you can converse better.

al

HAL offers several different teas on a voyage. There is the daily afternoon tea which consists of a choice of HAL brewed tea or a variey of Bigelow flavored teabags. There are tea sandwiches, small cakes and breads, and scones with jams, clotted cream and etc.

They usually offer an Indonesian tea during a voyage. Which has wonderful Indonesian teas, try the Jasmine, and Indonisian style munchies.

The Grand Tea/ Grand Buffet or other names on different ships is a fabulous event. They allow everyone in half an hour early just to take pix. There are chocolate fountains next to piles of frest cut fruit for dipping, amazing and cunningly made dishes like a chocolate castle or a entire fruit and vegetable band with instruments all made out of marzipan. Really cool stuff.

Having tea in the afternoon is one of my favorite things to do on any ship (or on land!) and I was excited to hear about the Grand Tea and was already working on my DH to go with me.

My TA tells me that the Grand Tea, and the Indonesian tea, are only available to suite pax on the Eurodam. Does anyone have any information--hopefully to the contrary--on this?

On the off chance it is available to all, can one make reservations?

Not that I've ever heard. We generally don't sail in suites and have attended the teas while on board. I do admit we haven't sailed on the Eurodam but I can't imagine it is that much different from the rest of the fleet.

The suites are offered certain perks that others are not and may even have their own teas but it shouldn't affect the regular teas on board.

On all of my cruises, the afternoon teas were open to everyone - not just suite pax.

From the HAL site -- Daily Afternoon Tea service, elevated to Royal Dutch High Tea once per cruise -- no where does it say for suite pax.

I have been to two Indonesian teas now and I highly recommend them. The brought around jars of various teas to choose from and there were cards on the table with descriptions of each. I can't remember the flavors I chose but they were very good. After that they brought around plates with all sorts of exotic sweets. I'm afraid I went off of my diet for them :D

Hi Karatemom2! I've sailed on three HAL ships (Oosterdam, Maasdam, and Westerdam) and enjoyed afternoon tea on each one.

The afternoon tea is held for one hour in the upper dining room area. They have a piano player that provides great background music. You and your daughter can sit alone or others at the larger tables. No reservations are required for afternoon tea, it by first come first seated. I noticed that often on sea days or the first two days it's a nice crowd. On the longer sailings, the same group tend to go everyday.

During the sailings, the Grand Dutch Tea and Indonesian Tea is offered. It's available for all guests. Certain suite guest (depend on the category) can have tea service in their cabin. This is what your travel agent was most likey talking about.

They offer the typical tea servings of finger sandwiches,pastries,scones with a variety of teas.

With the Indonesian tea, the servers dress in traditional costume. They serve Indonesian pastries and tea. It was very nice!

I included two pictures from the Indonesian tea for you.

DSCF0799.jpg.f112d54ec020360d4290b5afd1240681.jpg

DSCF0798.jpg.7858759000afe522ff70544827a9d707.jpg

I have been to two Indonesian teas now and I highly recommend them. The brought around jars of various teas to choose from and there were cards on the table with descriptions of each. I can't remember the flavors I chose but they were very good. After that they brought around plates with all sorts of exotic sweets. I'm afraid I went off of my diet for them :D

I agree, the Indonesian teas are really great. I'm not much for going to these teas...but this is something that is really special.

Thank you all for this information! I am very happy that we will not be excluded from having the tea experience!

We don't usually travel in suites either, but have gotten upgrades to them twice, and they did include "in room" tea with all the fun sandwiches and cookies. But there is something to be said for going to the dining room for it.:)

Hi Karatemom2! I've sailed on three HAL ships (Oosterdam, Maasdam, and Westerdam) and enjoyed afternoon tea on each one.

The afternoon tea is held for one hour in the upper dining room area. They have a piano player that provides great background music. You and your daughter can sit alone or others at the larger tables. No reservations are required for afternoon tea, it by first come first seated. I noticed that often on sea days or the first two days it's a nice crowd. On the longer sailings, the same group tend to go everyday.

During the sailings, the Grand Dutch Tea and Indonesian Tea is offered. It's available for all guests. Certain suite guest (depend on the category) can have tea service in their cabin. This is what your travel agent was most likey talking about.

They offer the typical tea servings of finger sandwiches,pastries,scones with a variety of teas.

With the Indonesian tea, the servers dress in traditional costume. They serve Indonesian pastries and tea. It was very nice!

I included two pictures from the Indonesian tea for you.

Thanks so much for the great info and photos. I can't wait!

Do men go to the teas or is it just a ladies' activity?Marcia

My DH (Husband) & Friends DH go for afternoon tea every day..My Friend & I will only join them once in a while, as we just enjoy just relaxing & reading on the promenade deck..Occassionally we'll join them & I can't seem stay away from the "Scones with Clotted Cream":...:):) All those goodies are so tempting & so fattening!...;) LOL

They used to serve afternoon tea in the Crow's Nest at small round tables & only served the Grand Dutch & Indonesian teas in the Dining room...Since they started serving tea every day in the Dining room, I don't enjoy it as much, but our DH's still do..Of course, they are both over 6 ft tall & only weigh 170-180 lbs lbs. even though they eat constantly..:(:(

Betty

my husband never wanted to go to the teas, because #!- he doesn't drink tea!!:eek: and #2-he thought they would be stuffy, or formal....

Few years ago we were on Oceania and after a full day of touring with another couple, they said - "oh good, we made it back in time for afternoon tea!":D So we went with them and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves ---- lots of men in attendance, it is NOT stuffy or formal (although you may be served with white glove service, it definitely is a "fun" and relaxed affair).....

Since then we usually go to a few afternoon teas, have taken high tea in Hong Kong at the Peninsula, at Bath in the Pump Room, etc....and my husband loves it!!!

It really is a nice afternoon social gathering --- oh and by the way, there were people who were ordering coffee!!

go and enjoy - the Indonesian tea is especially interesting because they offer a lot of their specialty cakes/baked goods --- the tables are laid out with beautiful Indonesian fabrics as runner across the white tablecloths...and the servers are dressed in their native garments.....

740532855_TAcruise2008528.jpg.147c53f576cbf2798e06baeb36f686ee.jpg

1910071578_TAcruise2008530_r1.jpg.879568f7875ea2e592072df581fca5fb.jpg

We were on the Ryndam cruise to Alaska mid September. The first mid afternoon tea we went to was wonderful! Chocolate covered strawberries and many different teas to choose from. However; the next time we went the selection for food wasn't as good and the tea selection was limited. It was still nice, but not as nice as the first time.

Do men go to the teas or is it just a ladies' activity?

Marcia

Funny that you ask this! On my 2007 Maasdam sailings, I was on board during the Easter holiday and we had quite a few teens on board. There was about four teen girls that came to tea a couple of days. When the teen boys found out where the girls were at in the afternoon, they also came to tea.

It was cute seeing teenage boys enjoying tea,but not trying to (they gotta keep up the image). I sat with one of the boys mother at tea and she stated that never in a million years would she expect to see her son at tea.

You will see quite a few men at tea,it's not just a woman thing!!

Archived