Valor Review 9/20/09-9/27/09

2wallace

We just finished our first cruise with Carnival and it was GREAT! I will try a let you know what we did and answer any questions you may have, as we had many of our own before we cruised.

This was a family vacation with my DW and two DS, ages 11 and 14.

Day 1

We live outside of Atlanta, GA and opted to drive through the night to Miami (with DSs’ asleep for the ride). Arrived in Miami around 9am and had breakfast before some last minute shopping and then headed to the port arriving at 11:15am.

I had looked at different parking options around Miami, but finally opted for the port parking. When we arrived, the primary lot was full, so we dropped off the luggage and were directed down to the last parking deck which was just being opened. Shuttled back to the terminal, no problems.

Embarkation went very smoothly and it took about an hour to get through the whole process before we were on the ship having our fist drink in the main atrium.

We hung out in the atrium and wandered the ship, ate at Rosy’s (Fish & Chips upstairs, good), until our room was ready.

IMG_0642.jpgIMG_0570.jpgIMG_0578.jpgIMG_0644.jpgIMG_0723.jpgIMG_0152.jpg

Day 1 continued

Our room was ready (1001) by 1pm and we had our luggage shortly their after. This process seemed to go very smoothly for us and we met our room steward, Javier from Costa Rica when we first arrive at the room. Javier was great and had already learned everyone’s name. Javier went over a lot of information and told us to let him know if we needed anything.

Our room was really nice and big including the bathroom and had a nice window overlooking a semi-private deck. I used this deck every morning and was always by myself whenever I went out, as it only has access from doors at the end of our hallway and one stairway from the front of the ship. Closet space was good, except my DW had to rearrange some shelving to accommodate her long evening dresses, but this was easily done. There were bath robes for all of us.

Room.jpg

We then went wandering again. My DW found the gym and running track and was pleased with the gym setup, although it took 9 laps around the track to make a mile. She runs 3 to 5 a day so that meant 27 to 45 laps daily (can’t imagine).

We found our table in the Lincoln Dining room. We had a table for 4, so we were a little disappointed that we would not meet any new friends for dinner. We choose the late seating so we are not as rushed when we get back from shore excursions.

Lincoln.jpg

I purchased soda cards for the boys as we have done in the past. I was a little disappointed that they do not give you a drink thermos when you buy this as they do on other cruise lines, and the fact that they did not have stations set up for this when we entered the ship. You have to ask at the bar for this, but bar service here was really good.

We then assembled for the mandatory evacuation drill. This went smoothly and only took about 30 minutes. We then had to rush back to our rooms to drop off life preservers, and make it to the sail away from Miami.

SailAway.jpg

I was kind of worried about this since I had heard other people say it was a problem, but we never heard a thing.

Awesome, thanks! We're taking a good look at this ship for next August, we love the itinerary.

Archived