Your best tips for the Jewel

familyplanner

We are going on a family cruise in november of this year. In the past I have always been able to find a thread that gave tips, secret doors to balconies or little known perks offered on a ship. If you have sailed on the Jewel recently what tips can you give me? Thanks in advance for your help :D

The last time we were on it (going agin in November) I lost an argument on this one. The little fishies on the carpet are swimming toward the front of the ship so you can tell which way you are walking. Didn't buy into that but was proven wrong.

We had a mini near the front of the ship and outside was the fish swimming toward the rear, not the front on our floor. But I stepped out of our stateroom & walked to the rear for a bridge tour & my husband noticed the room numbers going down not up so we were going the wrong way. We turned, laughed & made it to the tour. I told the Captain the fish are backwards & he mentioned a mini which the tub was inserted backwards, so when the person gets into it their head is at the spigget. That night I go to soak in the tub & it is ours that is backwards.

The last time we were on it (going agin in November) I lost an argument on this one. The little fishies on the carpet are swimming toward the front of the ship so you can tell which way you are walking. Didn't buy into that but was proven wrong.

A little over a month, we sail November 15th and are counting the days. I will have to remember that the fishes are swimming the wrong way. Thanks for the tip.:p

Are you aware this cruise has been chartered to some Jazz Fest thing

We had a mini near the front of the ship and outside was the fish swimming toward the rear, not the front on our floor. But I stepped out of our stateroom & walked to the rear for a bridge tour & my husband noticed the room numbers going down not up so we were going the wrong way. We turned, laughed & made it to the tour. I told the Captain the fish are backwards & he mentioned a mini which the tub was inserted backwards, so when the person gets into it their head is at the spigget. That night I go to soak in the tub & it is ours that is backwards.
I could have sworn you said your mini was "AFT" (as in AFT-LOVER) before this post. And, no matter where you were on the ship, wouldn't you go FORWARD to tour the Bridge, which is about as far FORWARD as you can get? Color me :confused: :confused:!

oh COOL i will be sure to be LOOKIN in January...anxious to SAIL a diff NCL ship than the Shining STAR*

We loved the sports court (deck 13-AFT). It's a fun place to run around, kick a soccer ball, or do whatever you like for some exercise. The reason I mention such an obvious place is because the space seemed hugely underused, possibly because people think it's reserved for tennis or basketball only. Our little kids loved the freedom of the open space, the feeling of the rubberized decking under bare feet and the full surround netting, which keeps balls (and kids) nicely contained.

Also, make sure you check out the bridge observation room (deck 15-PORT) You'd never know it was there unless you looked for it at the end of a hallway of state rooms. You'll find interesting historic artifacts, charts, christening memorabilia and a full view of the bridge.

Also, make sure you check out the bridge observation room (deck 15-PORT) You'd never know it was there unless you looked for it at the end of a hallway of state rooms. You'll find interesting historic artifacts, charts, christening memorabilia and a full view of the bridge.
I am being such a spoilsport, but I think it's not Deck 15 but Deck 11. We were talking about this room on our sailaway thread recently. Deck 15 is all the way at the top of the ship, and it's a sundeck.

One thing I love about the Jewel and her sister ships is the Great Outdoors Cafe. My first NCL cruise was on the Sun, which also has a Great Outdoor Cafe. Then we went on the Star (the Dawn is like it), and there was no Great Outdoor Cafe. It's especially nice if you're sailing in warmer weather, but it's quite protected from the wind, being aft.

We will be on the Jewel Saturday, and I'll check out which direction those fishies really are swimming and where the Bridge observation room is located.

Be sure to clean up after yourselves, and get off immediately when the ship is cleared,so we can get on. Kidding, enjoy the Jewel.

Al

You do the same - we're on the 29th :) .

If anyone needs any other worthless information like the fishies, let me know.

Be sure to clean up after yourselves, and get off immediately when the ship is cleared,so we can get on. Kidding, enjoy the Jewel.

Al

LMAO Al! I agree, please be sure to leave everything nice and ready for us!:D

You do the same - we're on the 29th :) .

If anyone needs any other worthless information like the fishies, let me know.

You must be on with us! We can't leave it clean for ya if we're on the same cruise silly! But we'll be sure to do the same for the folks that depart 12/06/09! Hey have you checked into our roll call?

You do the same - we're on the 29th :)

That is why I told Laura Familyplanner to clean up, we are on the same cruise as you., so I can't clean up for you.

Come to the roll call and sign up for the meet and greet.

Al

You must be on with us! We can't leave it clean for ya if we're on the same cruise silly! But we'll be sure to do the same for the folks that depart 12/06/09! Hey have you checked into our roll call?

Looks like you caught that yourself. See you in a month and a half.

Al

LOL...clued into that about half thru the cruise. Would have been good to know earlier!!

IMG_3061.jpg.537dc2ab1b6a12701cac6583e2619597.jpg

TG2005 That is fabulous that you will be joining our loud group, I apologize in advance. I was not aware that it had been chartered by a jazz fest, maybe that will work out in our favor with lots of great music on board.:p

Biker Al and the rest of you have no fear I was a girl scout once upon a time and I believe in leaving things nicer than I found them so no worries. If your lucky I will find that secret cargo space derf talked about and stay on the ship to join you. ;)

I have only sailed the Star with NCL so I am looking forward to discovering this garden cafe you all are talking about as well as the bridge observation. On the Star they had a sports court which was great for playing dodge ball. Keep the good ideas rolling. :cool:

I am being such a spoilsport, but I think it's not Deck 15 but Deck 11. We were talking about this room on our sailaway thread recently. Deck 15 is all the way at the top of the ship, and it's a sundeck.

Thanks for the correction - the observation room is on 11. Long-time NCLers in my group were surprised that they had never seen this room before.

Archived