Low quality of food in MDR--not worth the investment of time and dress?

After having cruised on the mass market lines of NCL, Carnival and RCI numerous times, it is all mass produced banquet style food. In place of serving yourself in the WJ, it's placed on dishes and served to you. Nothing more or less. I think that most today go for quantity over quality anyway by looking at some of the plates of food in the WJ.

Yes, the quality of the food has dropped on all mass market lines over the years but so have the prices. This is brought up over and over but I pay a heck of a lot less to cruise today than I did twenty years ago and have much better accommodations and entertainment options than I did. I will take that. I keep my expectations in check. When I want the quality food that I received twenty years ago, I will pay more and move up to one of the deluxe/premium lines. Even HAL which is supposed to be a step up in quality over the mass market lines was not much better overall. Yes, I could see some improvement over RCI and the others but not a lot.

[quote name='Brad1185']The food is so bad after their cutbacks the only dress deserved is shorts, t-shirt and flip flops with a ball cap[/quote]

REALLY???!!!! Stay home if that is truly what you think! Even a moderate 3.5 star land-based all inclusive resort demands long pants and closed toe shoes for men at dinner :eek:

So, all of you that will not join us in the MDR until the food improves to your taste, how will you know? I'd still rather sit down and have someone serve me gruel than stand in line and spoon it out myself.

It's really not about the food is it? The kitchen has the same problem they had before, preparing lots of meals. That hasn't changed. It's about I can't be bothered to take the time to sit down for an event we call dinner. Hurry up, dish it out of a steam buffet tray or deep fry and grill in a diner. I'm in a hurry, I have things to do and getting out of the shorts and flip-flops I've had on all day and sitting down with fellow passengers for an hour or so isn't one of them.

I never thought that the food in the MDR or WJ was stellar. There are some meals that were great and some sub par. But the MDR is one of those things that you get out of it what you put into it. For me, I enjoy the dressing up and socializing. But if you aren't into it, you aren't into it, no matter what the food is like. When it comes right down to it, isn't that what it is about? If you like the scene or not?

[quote name='Brad1185']The food is so bad after their cutbacks the only dress deserved is shorts, t-shirt and flip flops with a ball cap[/quote]

Well first if all, do not sit near me if you are in stinky shorts you wore all day, unless you sat in one spot all day and did not perspire.:rolleyes:

I for one want to shower and get fresh after an excurion, so dressing up, takes no longer than throwing on a pair of shorts. I do not even wear sloppy clothes to go to TGIF.

And as for foodies who will not eat in the MDR, I am not sure any cruisline but the upper crust ones would make them happy. Fine with me, I would rather do other things with my money. I will dress up ( come on a pair of long pants and a collared shirt is dressing up?) and go to the MDR.:p

[
Originally Posted by [B]Holly g[/B] [URL="http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21611413#post21611413"][IMG]http://boards12.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[I]Okay not to be rude but anyone who can eat at Johnny Rockets more than once is hardly someone I can take seriously about the taste and quality of food!:D[/I]

quote=BobbyD;21614547]Nice. Very nice.[/quote]

But true. very true. In fact, I would go further and seriously question anyone who regards the steak-house food in Chops as "gourmet"

quote=BobbyD;21614547]Nice. Very nice.[/quote]

But true. very true. In fact, I would go further and seriously question anyone who regards the steak-house food in Chops as "gourmet"[/quote]

Obviously we have a serious discrepancy on what is considered "gourmet". I find it amusing that people are surprised to discover that the food in the MDR is not to their level of "gourmet". They must be fantastic chefs at home or have their personal chefs prepare their meals every day. Instead they will settle for the gourmet offerings in Johnny Rockets or spoon it out of the steam table in WJ.

[quote name='cruise.queen']as I don't have to cook it...and it's not green and fuzzy I"m OK...[/quote]

Amazingly high standards you have there. :p:D

Guess I'll have to wait another 8 weeks to see if the MDR food is any better than the slab of beef I threw on the grilled last night. :p

Archived