Low quality of food in MDR--not worth the investment of time and dress?

I am in agreement with the OP. We made the decision after our August 09 cruise that next time we will only do Chops, Portofino's and Windjammer. The MDR has been a major dissapointment for the last 5 RCCL cruises and this last was the worst.

While I completely understand why you would choose the speciality restaurants over the MDR, I am afraid that this is exactly what RCCL wants! If the food quality in the MDR is not up to par, people will pay extra to eat in the speciality restaurants. Then RCCL makes more $$$. If people were to avoid those areas, and demand better food in the MDR, perhaps the food quality would improve and the quality that many of us miss would return to the MDR.

Is the food in the MDR the best I've ever eaten? Of course not.

Is it as good as I can get in the average vaguely upscale restaurant? Often.

Is it better than I cook on a day to day basis? You bet your sweet bippy.

It is decent to good food that I AM NOT COOKING brought to me by wonderful (for the most part) friendly people.

I cruise for a change of pace and to relax and it's very relaxing eating in the MDR...and I usually enjoy my tablemates too.

That's the best part of the vacation - I don't have to plan the menu, prepare it, clean up before and after service, serve it. And repeat again tomorrow.

I am so happy to have someone else do all the heavy lifting -

is the food in the mdr the best i've ever eaten? Of course not.

Is it as good as i can get in the average vaguely upscale restaurant? Often.

Is it better than i cook on a day to day basis? You bet your sweet bippy.

It is decent to good food that i am not cooking brought to me by wonderful (for the most part) friendly people.

I cruise for a change of pace and to relax and it's very relaxing eating in the mdr...and i usually enjoy my tablemates too.

amen!

I agree with the OP assesment, we have moved away from the MDR on a continual bases. The look of the MDR and service are far superior to the food offered. Since we started cruising on RCL we always use the speciality restaurants to buffer around the MDR if there were more speciality restaurants I really believe we would not even go to the MDR I do find the quality is fair to average and sometimes good..and frankly we no longer take formal clothes with us anymore, moved to my time dining and skip formal nights completly..

I cruised on the Voyager of the Seas, west med. and was not impressed at all witht he food in the MDR.

I preferred to eat my dinner in the Windjammer. Although 2x I tasted the fish and it had an awful taste, the chicken was drier than wood, there were more choices for me.

One night in the Windjammer there was a table of people all dressed up, go figure. Maybe they didn't like the food in the MDR and left? ;-))))

I have done 22 cruises on various cruise lines over the past 20 years or so.

We sailed on Navigator last October (2008) and found the food throughout the ship to be typical cruise fare and quite acceptable. I don't expect gourmet food on a cruise but I do expect reasonably good food.

We recently were on the Voyager and we were very disappointed with all the food (MDR, Windjammer, Room Service and even Portofino). The quality had definitely gone down in the 11 months since our previous cruise.

I know people say "food quality is completely subjective" but when 4 people on a table of 6 send back their food there appears to be a problem. It wasn’t just one night either. We ate in the MDR 5 nights and in Portofinos 2 nights and the only dish I can say I really enjoyed was the risotto appetiser in Portofino.

My main criticism of the food was that it was never hot. Maybe it was because we had open dining in the MDR and that causes a timing problem. Maybe in Portofino it is because the kitchen is not right there like it is on Navigator. The other problem was that the beef (which I usually love) was tasteless. Maybe this is because it had been frozen.

We still enjoyed our cruise but we found that at all meals the food was a disappointment.

Edited to add : Hi Sassy, I just finished posting then saw your comments. I see you were not impressed with the food on our cruise either.

The food quality has never been on a par with the service/presentation. If you want to eat even lower quality food and save a few minutes, by all means hit the WJ.

Personally, I've always viewed dinner in the MDR as a fun activity with decent food, not a time waster.

I am getting to the point that I just do not want to get dressed up to eat dinner. I prefer to go to Johnny Rockets, or Portifinos or order room service. What I do enjoy about the dinner experience is our waiters and tablemates not the food because I usually order the same thing every night.

I realize that food quality is completely subjective. I have been on 9 cruises with RCCL and have NEVER had a bad meal in the MDR. I cruised first in 2000 and last time in 2009 and the next two in 2010. Again, I understand it is completely subjective but I think the food has always been excellent. The only bad meal I ever had in a MDR was on Norwegian, and it was only one, spinach lasagna that I couldn't even choke down but you know, I am sure there were people who thought it was fabulous. If I dressed according to the level of food I've had on RCCL, I would be in a tux every night.

I so agree with you!!! I also have never had a bad meal on Royal. We've cruised with them 5 times and the last time was with my brother who has eaten all over the world, travelling for work. His "reviews" of his meals are fun to read on Facebook. His remarks about every meal were very positive, as were the rest of my family aboard the Grandeur this past August. He felt as I did that the lamb shank was superb, and though the last night at dinner, he ordered a $14.95 steak, he was very satisfied with the MDR for the duration of the cruise.

My husband teases me about my favorite plaque that hangs in my kitchen: "I made my favorite thing for dinner tonight--a reservation":)

As others have said about this subject, if I don't have to prepare it or clean up afterwards, I'm happy. But that said, I still have no problems with the food in the MDR.

Doreen

After several cruises on Carnival and NCL, we've just come back from our first RCCL cruise, on the Monarch.

This was a 'last-minute cheapie' cruise..... our expectations were not too high.

The food totally exceeded our expectations.... we had every meal in the MDR.

The worst MDR meals we ever had were on the NCL Jewel, on a transatlantic in April.

We thoroughly enjoyed the MDR... the staff were wonderful... and the food was definitely up to standard!!!

I would be interested to know whether those that were happy with their food were on open dining or fixed dining. If open dining about what time did you eat? We always ate quite late. Maybe this was our problem.

This is a serious enquiry. I would like to know for future reference so that we can change our dining habits if necessary.

Is there a difference in food quality depending on when you eat?

I would be interested to know whether those that were happy with their food were on open dining or fixed dining. If open dining about what time did you eat? We always ate quite late. Maybe this was our problem.

This is a serious enquiry. I would like to know for future reference so that we can change our dining habits if necessary.

I have always had the fixed dining at 8:30pm (9pm in Med). Just off the Liberty with a party of 10 and we were all more than satisfied with the food in the MDR.

One in our party had an allergy to dairy. They brought out the menu each night for the next day, let her pick whatever she wanted, and they made it with out dairy. (Of course, on this point I am speaking about service and not food quality)

On every cruise we've taken, we've chosen traditional dining. The first couple cruises were early seating, but lately we like late seating (fixed). This last cruise on Grandeur this past Aug. we did late, traditional. I like not rushing to get ready for an early dinner, and we eat late at home, too.

Doreen

I recently sailed on Freedom (aug23rd) and the MDR food was just awful. When I sailed on the MOS it wasnt that good either. In my opinion, Royals food has always been lackluster. When I posted about my dining experience a couple of weeks ago, I was bashed but the truth is the truth. If you want a great dining experience you have to sail on Carnival(comparing mass market lines). The food is just so much better. Royal really needs to fix this. But, I did have a great freaking time though and no one beats Roayl when it comes to the fun factor. I only ate in the main dining twice and both times the food was just bad. You get tired of sending your food back to the kitchen, just for it to come back inedible as ever. Buffet food shouldnt be better, I lived in the Windjammer or was it Jade?

Edit***

I recall our Surf and Turf night, I swear the Windjammer was packed. It was hard to find a table. Plus on one of the formal nights, My spouse and I left the MDR due to disgust and ended up at the Windjammer. I kid you not, there were alot of people in tuxes and gowns eating from the buffet. Royal has to know there is a problem here.

You did not eat in the MDR each night so I would assume you did not get to sample most dishes. I would never turn down MDR food for JR. Even with a free coupon in the books I had to force myself to go there to get something.. There is always the option of another entree if one is not to your liking. I cannot think of any meal that everything was terrible. True, the meals are not as great as they use to be. But that said, bring me a 6 course meal where I do not have to cook or clean up and I am happy.

I am getting to the point that I just do not want to get dressed up to eat dinner. I prefer to go to Johnny Rockets, or Portifinos or order room service. What I do enjoy about the dinner experience is our waiters and tablemates not the food because I usually order the same thing every night.
Is it really that burdensome to throw on a pair of slacks and a decent top?

If people were to avoid those areas, and demand better food in the MDR, perhaps the food quality would improve and the quality that many of us miss would return to the MDR.

"demand"? Any ideas on how one would do that with RCI? I mean this is a company that doesn't even care about its Loyal Customers anymore. Just how would one demand better food?

JMO,

Colleen

We were on My Time Dining... and our times varied between 7 and 9, depending on what we were doing in the evening.

No big difference, I think!

One evening I asked our waiter if Creme Brulee was on the menu that week.... he said no, but he'll order some for us for the next day.

The next day, we were not on his area, but the next waiter's...

The first waiter came and found us with our off-the- menu creme brulees!!

Wonderful service!!!! :)

I didn't read the responses to the original post so I am just responding to it. If its covering the same stuff as others posts, well, sorry.

I simply don't agree. Is the food in the MDR ALWAYS top notch and worthy of dressing in a tux? Definitely not, although I would argue some evenings certainly are.

But when you combine the elegance of the dining room, the top notch service and what is usually a pretty decent 4 course meal (I usually make it that anyway) I would say that it is certainly better than your average family restaurant. And as I said, given the elegance of the room, and the service I don't feel overdressed wearing a tux for the two formal nights. And I certainly don't feel over dressed wearing nice pants a shirt with or without a tie on other evenings.

I know the food is not always great, and sometimes pretty poor. But I love going there,, if only to try new things, or things I seldom have an other time. I love trying new things, like the chilled (and hot) soups, unusual entrees, like duck (which we never have otherwise), esgargot, etc, etc. Theres usually something on the menu that interests me, and I like trying new/different things, even if I end up not liking them that much.

We tried Portofino's on our last cruise for my birthday. I was not impressed at all. I would not pay again for something that I could get in the MDR for free. The food in the MDR is good and as another poster stated, there are dishes that I would not normally eat at home. Although, I do make Vidalia Onion Tart at home now! :)

I didn't have to shop for it.

I didn't have to lug it to the car in 110* heat.

I didn't have to lug it into the house to be put away.

I didn't have to plan a meal and cook it.

I didn't have to clean it up.

And I don't have to think about what will I cook tomorrow night.....at least not until the last night of the cruise! :)

Just finished my second cruise with RCL and have come to the same conclusion: the quality of the food in the MDR doesn't correspond to the ritual, presentation, and elegance of the dining room. It's personally not worth my time. The food isn't awful, but it's almost a bit embarrassing to have all the formal presentation and ritual of the MDR and the elegance without top-notch food. The service and wait staff were fabulous. The dining room was gorgeous. But the food was a bit dull and overly salty.

Like you, I don't cruise for food (MDR or otherwise) but I do put a value on the dress and ritual of MDR dining regardless of how mediocre the food has become. To me, the dining room experience is to have a nice night out with my lady while enjoying the company of couples from around the world.

As it happens, I wear a suit every night except for formal night when I actually go all out and go white tie dress. It takes mere seconds to put on a tie and jacket after I've already put on slacks and dress shirt and I'm quite comfortable in that attire.

No disrespect to you as your preferences are perfectly acceptible; I just wanted to provide you with a differing opinion since you asked.

I cruised on the Voyager of the Seas, west med. and was not impressed at all witht he food in the MDR.

I preferred to eat my dinner in the Windjammer. Although 2x I tasted the fish and it had an awful taste, the chicken was drier than wood

Chicken, to me, is a bit of a barometer. Although I'm not a chef, it seems a simple chicken breast dish would be difficult to botch. Thinking back, the chicken breast I ordered was, in fact, awful. Someone mentioned frozen, and that might explain the poor texture and lack of moisture. I've had better chicken on Air Canada in coach class. Not sure how the chicken in the MDR could be worse than pre-prepared in-flight meals, but it's managed to be so on two separate cruises where I ordered chicken.

I've been to formal nights on prior cruises and found the food to be no better than on any other night. Had "fillet of beef" on a formal night that the server called "fillet mignon"--something it in no way resembled.

To reiterate--loved the wait staff, presentation, and beauty of the MDR; but the taste of the food was a mismatch and a disappointment. I've sampled enough of the dishes on two separate cruises to know I don't care for MDR fare. Did not at all expect gourmet, but did expect the same or better than a mass market chain restaurant in terms of taste. Now that I know what to expect, I feel comfortable giving the MDR a miss on my next cruise. I will still tip as that is how the wait staff earn a living--unless and until they restructure how they pay the staff. But I will also make it known on each and every cruise survey that I am disappointed with food in the MDR.

Don't know that the food in the Windjammer is any better than food in the MDR, but my expectations there are lower--so I'm not disappointed. It is not putting lipstick on a pig. And if I don't like something, I can quickly try another dish without the formality, pomp, and circumstance of the MDR. I don't find it takes much more effort to serve myself than to be served, much slower, in the MDR. In any case, I don't have to clean-up or prepare a menu, etc. Not sure I follow the logic of that particular argument in favor of the MDR over other options (e.g. JR, Portofino's, or Windjammer).

RCL is a great cruise line with gorgeous, clean ships and friendly, courteous staff. But the food in the MDR simply does not meet my expectations. So I will simply adjust accordingly. Glad to hear the food in the MDR does meet or exceed the expectations of others. I think they can do better but choose not to.

One final note: the only good desserts I've had on board are in Johnny Rockets and Portofinos. In the MDR, I order vanilla ice cream to avoid disappointment. Seems most of the MDR desserts are cheaper, air-filled versions of real desserts; e.g. cheese cake should be dense and not airy or gelatinous. Are the desserts any better on Carnival?

Like you, I don't cruise for food (MDR or otherwise) but I do put a value on the dress and ritual of MDR dining regardless of how mediocre the food has become. To me, the dining room experience is to have a nice night out with my lady while enjoying the company of couples from around the world.

As it happens, I wear a suit every night except for formal night when I actually go all out and go white tie dress. It takes mere seconds to put on a tie and jacket after I've already put on slacks and dress shirt and I'm quite comfortable in that attire.

No disrespect to you as your preferences are perfectly acceptible; I just wanted to provide you with a differing opinion since you asked.

I respect your opinion and thanks for sharing it, but I'm the opposite. I feel incredibly uncomfortable in anything resembling formal attire as does my wife. This is not to say I'd want to wear shorts, a ball cap, and a T-shirt in the MDR--I wouldn't and don't.

We also do active pre and post-cruise trips (with train and bus connections as well as a lot of walking with our luggage) and don't like to be weighed down with clothes we wouldn't ordinarily wear; e.g. for our 5 night post-cruise trip to Paris. To us, packing light is essential.

I do understand and respect peoples' desire to dress-up while on holiday. It's just not us. I'm committed to steering clear of the MDR during formal nights, and have now gone further and decided the MDR is simply not worth the effort for us.

Everyone values different aspects of cruising, so it's not a real problem. Only an adjustment we've chosen to make.

Archived