Low quality of food in MDR--not worth the investment of time and dress?

Just finished my second cruise with RCL and have come to the same conclusion: the quality of the food in the MDR doesn't correspond to the ritual, presentation, and elegance of the dining room. It's personally not worth my time. The food isn't awful, but it's almost a bit embarrassing to have all the formal presentation and ritual of the MDR and the elegance without top-notch food. The service and wait staff were fabulous. The dining room was gorgeous. But the food was a bit dull and overly salty.

Does anyone else feel this way? That it's not worth the bother to dress up and the investment of time given the quality of the food? Found myself going to Johnny Rockets or Cafe Promenade sometimes for a quick meal, then having the pools and hot tubs to myself, while everyone else is dressing up for the MDR or waiting for Windjammer's to open.

On our 7 night cruise, I ate in the MDR the first and last nights (wanted to be sure the wait staff knew I would tip regardless of whether I ate there or not). The rest, I ate in Windjammer's, one night at Portofino's, and the rest at Johnny Rockets. The ritual and elegance at Portofino's matches the quality of the food. Not so in the MDR.

In Windjammer's, you know you're eating buffet food. And in Johnny Rockets, you get exactly what you expect.

Don't get me wrong--absolutely great cruise. But lackluster MDR food. I'm glad I booked a table for two and dressed in jeans, a golf shirt, and hiking shoes. Seemed more appropriate than dressing formally; although I steered clear of the MDR during formal nights out of respect.

I told my waiter I'd not be dining in the MDR during formal nights. He asked if it was due to dress--and I said yes. He of course said "Don't worry, you're dressed fine." So unless maitre d's start disciplining their wait staff not to give such advice, I think we're going to see more casual dress in the MDR generally speaking.

Does anyone dressed in a tux truly believe the food in the MDR is a match with what they're wearing? Or are they simply so desperate to dress formally and have the formal MDR experience that they could be eating a Big Mac and be pleased with the situation?

I don't cruise for food in the MDR, so this doesn't in any way affect my decision to cruise or not cruise with RCL. But I've finally decided the MDR is not for me--not as long as the quality of the food itself remains low. The wonderful presentation and service cannot make up for poor ingredients / cooking. Again, a bit embarrassing. I've had much better food in a U.S. chain restaurant such as Olive Garden--which I quite like as a matter of fact. I'm not a food snob.

Opinions about food are terribly subjective. I, for example, found the food in the Jewel's MDR on the transatlantic to be of higher quality and better prepared (or should I say prepared more to my liking?) than we have experienced in quite some time. Regardless, when they are feeding more than two thousand people over the course of a few hours, expecting anything more than "banquet" food may be unrealistic. I have said before and will say again, your opinion about the food you receive on any cruise depends more on the talent and skill of the cooks who prepare that food than any other factor.:)

We just got off the Grandeur and agree, the food quality has gone down noticably. For all the elegance. staff and fashion in the MDR how much more could it cost to give a better steak? The food was ok at best, hardly a soup worth ordering, the ceaser salad always tasted prepared the day before and the fillets needed trimming, and no matter how you ordered them, they always came well done, like they serve in the buffet.

The food quality has gone downhill for quite some time. It's banquet food and nothing more. When the cruise lines started building ships for 200 passengers they had to cut corners and this is one result. I find the food edible and enjoy the MDR anyway.

Opinions about food are terribly subjective. I, for example, found the food in the Jewel's MDR on the transatlantic to be of higher quality and better prepared (or should I say prepared more to my liking?) than we have experienced in quite some time. Regardless, when they are feeding more than two thousand people over the course of a few hours, expecting anything more than "banquet" food may be unrealistic. I have said before and will say again, your opinion about the food you receive on any cruise depends more on the talent and skill of the cooks who prepare that food than any other factor.:)

You're right. Taste is subjective. But my wife and I had about the same taste experience on both the Navigator and the Mariner. Having reasonable expectations for buffet quality food, like you say, is wise. In Portofino's, both times, we also subjectively felt the food was far better. But of course we paid extra for the privilege of excellent food.

Guess we feel that we either want exceptional food (Portofino's) or basic buffet fare in an appropriate setting (Windjammer's) and/or Johnny Rockets. The important thing I suppose is that there are choices. Just didn't care for the in-between of elegance and formality of the MDR combined with buffet-quality food, presented as something much better.

It would be interesting if they made the whole MDR an "upcharge" and served better food. I haven't cruised long enough to know what MDR food was like "in the old days." People seem to say it was far better. Are they simply misremembering and/or pining for "golden days" that never were on a mass-market cruise line like RCL?

Just finished my second cruise with RCL and have come to the same conclusion: the quality of the food in the MDR doesn't correspond to the ritual, presentation, and elegance of the dining room. It's personally not worth my time. The food isn't awful, but it's almost a bit embarrassing to have all the formal presentation and ritual of the MDR and the elegance without top-notch food. The service and wait staff were fabulous. The dining room was gorgeous. But the food was a bit dull and overly salty.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Not me

On our 7 night cruise, I ate in the MDR the first and last nights

How in the world can you review the MDR meals after eating in them twice? Those nights are not the best meals of the week.

I'm not sure how to conclude that the MDR food is not good based on dining there on 2 of 7 nights. As the second poster said, food opinions are highly subjective, I've never had a bad meal in the MDR and only a few blah meals. JMHO. As for dress, I've been served much worse meals during formal (black tie or mess dress uniform) events and even then, wouldn't disrespect my hosts by not wearing the requested clothing. JHMO, YMMV. Dress code and food quality are two lightning rod topics, and every person has to make up their own mind. For me, and I've said this many times before, my formal clothes are tailored to fit, so they are as comfortable as any of the rest of my clothes and I thoroughly enjoy wearing them for the entire evening, not just during the formal meal.

I know what you mean. I was on the Freedom a few weeks ago and we only ate in the MDR 2 evenings. We did Chops twice, Windjammer twice and Johnny Rockets once. In my 6 cruises it seems I go in the MDR less and less every time for the same reasons as you. The food isn't good enough to invest the extra time either in getting dressed or actual dining time. We did do MTD with a table for 2 and it was a lot quicker than the regular dining times.

I haven't cruised long enough to know what MDR food was like "in the old days." People seem to say it was far better. Are they simply misremembering and/or pining for "golden days" that never were on a mass-market cruise line like RCL?

No, they're not. :( It was better, much better. Even as recently as 5 years ago on the most humble ship in the fleet (Monarch of the Seas 05/04) it was an entirely different level of quality, and it's pretty easy to compare since the menus really haven't changed all that much.

I guess this is par for the course these days though...we just got off our first Celebrity cruise and were APPALLED at how completely mediocre the MDR food was.

Mark me down as a "golden days piner"...

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. You might like to consider NCL...both their relaxed dress codes AND the vastly superior food they serve in their "upcharge" restaurants may satisfy your concerns. We plan on sailing them again soon.

:( It was better, much better. Even as recently as 5 years ago on the most humble ship in the fleet (Monarch of the Seas 05/04) it was an entirely different level of quality, and it's pretty easy to compare since the menus really haven't changed all that much.

Have to agree.....We've been cruising for close to 20 years and have sailed mostly RCCL. Have also sailed HAL & Celebrity. RCCLs food in the MDR used to be of the quality you got in Chops/Portifinos. We still enjoy going to the MDR because we enjoy sitting at larger tables and meeting new friends. ;)

I realize that food quality is completely subjective. I have been on 9 cruises with RCCL and have NEVER had a bad meal in the MDR. I cruised first in 2000 and last time in 2009 and the next two in 2010. Again, I understand it is completely subjective but I think the food has always been excellent. The only bad meal I ever had in a MDR was on Norwegian, and it was only one, spinach lasagna that I couldn't even choke down but you know, I am sure there were people who thought it was fabulous. If I dressed according to the level of food I've had on RCCL, I would be in a tux every night.

Is the food in the MDR the best I've ever eaten? Of course not.

Is it as good as I can get in the average vaguely upscale restaurant? Often.

Is it better than I cook on a day to day basis? You bet your sweet bippy.

It is decent to good food that I AM NOT COOKING brought to me by wonderful (for the most part) friendly people.

I cruise for a change of pace and to relax and it's very relaxing eating in the MDR...and I usually enjoy my tablemates too.

I don't think the food in the MDR is bad, is it gourmet? Absolutely not! It is what I would call upper-level banquet food. In reply to the OP about does my dress match the quality of what I am eating? I would like to respond that I attend several weddings every year in which I dress as I would for formal night in the MDR. The food served at these weddings is usually worse than what I eat in the MDR. However, I am not dressing up for the food. I am dressing up for the experience of being served, enjoying a meal out, and for the occasion of either a wedding or an enjoyable "night out" on the ship.

Do I wish that more people dressed up on formal nights? Absolutely! Do I wish that the food quality matched the atmosphere! You bet I do!

But I agree that until the staff are on the same page about dress code, and people are willing to pay a little more for good food, and respect the experience, I doubt it will change.

The food has never been great but it has usually been good to very good. When I compare the quality with mid-priced restaurants in my area, I am amazed that the quality is as good as it is. Most dishes are good, a few are exceptional, and a few are awful - but the percentage of good exceeds most mid-priced land-based chain restaurants. I was on an 18 day Princess cruise in September and found the food no better and fact the % of great, good, and awful were in my subjective opinion slightly below my RCCL experience. As far as oversalting - I'm not sure who to blame - the chef or pax that prefer heavily salted items - look at the amount of sugar and salt in most prepared foods in grocery stores.

I totally agree - the food doesn't match up to the service or surroundings. I haven't been cruising on RCI for as long as some of the posters on here and I have to say I was a little shocked on my first cruise - I was expecting it to be a much more lavish and grand affair. However, I wasn't too upset because I do actually prefer to eat plain food. I would like a few more vegetables and the food a little hotter but that's not a criticism ... just my preference.

Food aside I'm still happy to dress up to the nines on formal night and have been known to wear jeans on casual night ... personally I think RCI have got it just right to cover all demographics.

Mike - Fantastic post, and very well stated. I agree with you.

The food on the Freedom in August was WELL below par, not just in the MDR, but everywhere :( This was the first time I had felt this way on any of my cruises. I do not judge a cruise by the quality of food - but sitting down to a nice meal in the MDR is part of my cruising experience..

. . .Does anyone dressed in a tux truly believe the food in the MDR is a match with what they're wearing? Or are they simply so desperate to dress formally and have the formal MDR experience that they could be eating a Big Mac and be pleased with the situation?. . .

To be honest, I was little put out that my strawberry bisque, the chicken marsala or the tiramisu bothered to complement me on my suit :cool:

Mike - Fantastic post, and very well stated. I agree with you.

The food on the Freedom in August was WELL below par, not just in the MDR, but everywhere :( This was the first time I had felt this way on any of my cruises. I do not judge a cruise by the quality of food - but sitting down to a nice meal in the MDR is part of my cruising experience..

I am in agreement with the OP. We made the decision after our August 09 cruise that next time we will only do Chops, Portofino's and Windjammer. The MDR has been a major dissapointment for the last 5 RCCL cruises and this last was the worst.

I'm not sure how to conclude that the MDR food is not good based on dining there on 2 of 7 nights. As the second poster said, food opinions are highly subjective, I've never had a bad meal in the MDR and only a few blah meals. JMHO. As for dress, I've been served much worse meals during formal (black tie or mess dress uniform) events and even then, wouldn't disrespect my hosts by not wearing the requested clothing. JHMO, YMMV. Dress code and food quality are two lightning rod topics, and every person has to make up their own mind. For me, and I've said this many times before, my formal clothes are tailored to fit, so they are as comfortable as any of the rest of my clothes and I thoroughly enjoy wearing them for the entire evening, not just during the formal meal.

Excellent response. One's personal opinion of the tastiness of the food served should in no way be used to justify not following your host's suggestion of recommended attire. This applies not only to cruise ships but to other elegant or formal events attended on land as well where the host has stated what the recommended attire for the event is. Dress properly and bring a small and discrete dispenser of Tony Chachere's.

Is the food in the MDR the best I've ever eaten? Of course not.

Is it as good as I can get in the average vaguely upscale restaurant? Often.

Is it better than I cook on a day to day basis? You bet your sweet bippy.

It is decent to good food that I AM NOT COOKING brought to me by wonderful (for the most part) friendly people.

I cruise for a change of pace and to relax and it's very relaxing eating in the MDR...and I usually enjoy my tablemates too.

Karina

I'll happily share a table with you.

Everything you say I agree with here

I totally agree with the OP. We ate at Portofino and JR for the first time on Liberty (first ship we've been on with JR), and gladly would eat at them or the WJ instead of the MDR. We've found that with each RCI cruise, the quality of the food in the WJ has gone up, and the quality in the MDR has gone down. Again, this is subjective, but since it is our vacation, we're not going to waste our time on banquet hall quality food and amenities that we can get at home when we have more options in the other dining venues. I think each person cruises for different reasons; if our reason for cruising was an elegant dining experience, we wouldn't be on RCI. We can get much better food at home.

Archived