Your first time...

boxerdoglady

I think with cruising your first time either makes and addict or a hater. So, I'm interested in hearing everyone's first time story.

Mine started when I was 15. We went on a western carribean with my whole family. Mom, Grandma, Aunts, Uncles. We were on CCL Holiday and it was 1991. I was still a little chubby and sporting the classic 80s perm. It was my first time on an airplane, so I was curious and terrified all at the same time.

We took the bus straight to the POM and there she was...wow! That's the biggest boat I'd ever seen. Everything about it was fascinating. A 15 yo small town, midwestern girl boarding this big glitzy ship. I was in love.

What wasn't to love? There were fancy dresses in a fancy dining room with fancy food. (BTW, it also created a foodie =) I had my fist cappacino sitting in a trolly in the middle of the carribean, we rode mopeds all the way around Cozumel, climbed Dunn's River Falls and went to Hell all in one week. All with the help of a floating hotel w/ enough neon to light up my hometown like Vegas (which I also love).

Yep, that's all it took...I was hooked.

Our first cruise (other than Windjammer sailing ships) was 2 weeks after the Sept 11th attacks. Travel was a nightmare, security and boarding the ship equally horiffic and always in the background a nagging sense of guilt for going on a vacation when there was so much grief and turmoil.

But from the second we boarded the Elation the crew did such a fantastic job of making everyone feel good that it took away all the difficulties we had in getting there. We sailed away under tight security and had the time of our lives despite an itinerary scrambled by a Pacific hurricane. So many things went "wrong " that it would have been easy to say "Cruising is not for me" but the beauty of the ship, friendliness of the crew made up for all of that.

We were hooked on cruising, forever.

We went on our first cruise in the early 90's on a small ship out of Miami, the Dolphin. My wife and I loved it and were hooked. The next year we went back and took my mother and my aunt with us because they loved to travel. They absolutely hated it. Still don't know why, the weather was great, food was fantastic, we have had 48 cruises, asking my mom almost every time to go with us but she would not go again. She passed away last June, and to this day, one of my favorite pictures is her and her sister getting off the ship in Nassau. I guess some people just don't enjoy them.

First cruise was a high school senior trip, and the ship was (to me) horrible. While the food was certainly better than the school cafeteria, it was no better than any local Morrison's. Add to that, we had less-than-stellar weather.

That's when I decided I just wasn't a cruisin' sort of person, and would stick with land-based vacations from then on.

Boy, was I ever wrong after giving it a second chance a few years later. :) :)

My virgin voyage was on CCL's Celebration back in 1991. I was 28 years old at the time we sailed.

I vividly recall seeing the ship for the first time and being totally freaked-out-amazed at the size of it...LOL, ironic isn't it, considering that ship that size is practically just a 'boat' these days???? ;)

I have to admit that I didn't appreciate that cruise as much as I did any of the ones I'd taken after...the food on CCL (back then) really sucked...I mean really sucked, and I was away from my young kids for what seemed like a very long time and we were with my younger brother and a group of his friends who were party animals so we spent much of that week in a stupor. :eek:

SO, it was during my next cruise...many (12) years later that I really appreciated cruising and really then became a cruise addict. :)

Now, I have my own cruise friends to be stupified with :D

First cruise was a high school senior trip, and the ship was (to me) horrible. While the food was certainly better than the school cafeteria, it was no better than any local Morrison's. Add to that, we had less-than-stellar weather.

That's when I decided I just wasn't a cruisin' sort of person, and would stick with land-based vacations from then on.

Boy, was I ever wrong after giving it a second chance a few years later. :) :)

Ours was several years ago on the Elation, None of the 4 couples had cruised before. My wife had all of her siblings with her. We 'Outlaws' just stood back and watched the fight, after Holy roller big brother disowned us for having a drink and sinning on board. His wet-blanket failed to deter us from our mini-vacation, and we did not eat with nor see him until off-loading to go to our cars. The Cruise from Hades? We still go with one sister and cruise if possible, if not, we wing it. JY.

Ours was several years ago on the Elation, None of the 4 couples had cruised before. My wife had all of her siblings with her. We 'Outlaws' just stood back and watched the fight, after Holy roller big brother disowned us for having a drink and sinning on board. His wet-blanket failed to deter us from our mini-vacation, and we did not eat with nor see him until off-loading to go to our cars. The Cruise from Hades? We still go with one sister and cruise if possible, if not, we wing it. JY.

:eek:

Sounds like your in-laws are a 'fun' bunch.....

My first cruise was with my mom in 1982 on the CCL Mardi Gras...the Love-Boat was a hit and I was hooked in a heartbeat.

That cruise lived up to all of my fantasies. It took 14 year to get to go again - this time with DH and 2 oldest - and they got hooked too. Now we cruise with a minimum of 5 addicts.

Oldest daughter went on her first on Carnival. Loved it and raved for weeks. She got her younger sister to book and then hubby and I. That was it. Cruising is the only vacation I really enjoy.

Ours was on the Paradise out of Miami, and a smoke free ship at the time. The size! The atrium! Carnival had me hook, line and sinker.

Hubby was not really into it very much and have cruised with daughters, mostly younger one.

I have two grandsons and they too are cruise addicts. They are 12 and 8. Older on will be a vip next month and the younger in March 2010. They love it so that when older one got his black belt in Tae Kwon Do and was offered any gift (within reason) he chose a cruise and on the Glory we went. And the younger who will get his in the summer 2010 has already picked his on the Dream,

I feel the peace of a cruise is the main thing for me. Just being out on those aft balconies is heaven on earth for me.

Virgin cruiser here about to get my sea cherry popped on the Elation in January...less than 100 days away..not that I've been counting! I did research my ship before booking, and was somewhat superficial in my selection. I liked ther look of the Elation more than the other fantasy class ships. More style than flash, quiet elegance. A good fit for me and my family. Although I do want the option to dateother ships befor I commit!

I just got back an hour ago from my B2B. My last table mates drove me crazy complaining. One girl cant wait to get some powdered donuts. One mother who hasnt been on RCL for more years than she can remember, kept saying she remembered RCL as having better food, her kids were first timers who hated the food too. We had a lot of younger cruisers who like junk food better than lobster and steak is all I can figure. Drove me nuts. Never heard so much complaining about the food as this last week...from a LOT of pax... Im sure I gained weight :(

Virgin cruiser here about to get my sea cherry popped on the Elation in January...less than 100 days away..not that I've been counting! I did research my ship before booking, and was somewhat superficial in my selection. I liked ther look of the Elation more than the other fantasy class ships. More style than flash, quiet elegance. A good fit for me and my family. Although I do want the option to dateother ships befor I commit!

She is a nice ship, I hope you did not book in the front of the ship, ours was so close we had a porthole. The noise from the anchor and the stabilizers can be distracting. Plus the bow thrusters are there. I learned a valuable lesson about where to book my room. Enjoy. JY.:D

In 1990, DH & I were looking for a quick get-away and our travel agent recommended we book the RCL Nordic Empress. It was her maiden year and she was the biggest, newest great thing! We booked lowest category possible at the last minute & received a TBA room assignment on our tickets. On boarding, we were amazed to find we had highest category ocean view! It hooked both of us, then & there!:D

My first experience with a cruise was in the 80's. We booked a short (I think)4 day cruise for my Mom, Dad, husband (at the time) and myself. We got a call about 3 weeks before we were going that we could go on a 7 day cruise for the same amount of money--that's what I call an upgrade. We jumped on that--good thing we owned our own company and made our own schedule. Anyway we went on the Mardi Gras. Thought it was a huge ship. I cruise quite often now but that trip to the Western Carribean still holds a great place in my heart. I was recently looking at pictures and saw the pix of all of us getting off the ship in Jamaica and tears came to my eyes. I am the only one of us still living in that pix. Found the diary that I was given by our travel agent to write in. We sure had a good time. I have been on other cruise lines but still seem to navigate back to CCL.

First cruise was on RCC--Parents were scheduled to sing with college choir for Christmas, but changed their minds. We met up with friends taking the same cruise & really enjoyed ourselves. I'd been dieing to go ever since Love Boat, & had to wait all this time! Food was great & I loved any time cookies & sundae bar! Now I'm hooked & would cruise once a month if I could afford single supplements!

My first cruise was on a French ship of the Paquet Line (can't remember the name now). She was on a transition cruiser from Miami to Alaska for the summer. My wife and I were going to take the 3-day LA to Vancouver leg of the transition. ($199 pp included the flight home from Seattle ! ! )

Drove to the port to find nothing there ! ! Travel agent gave us the wrong address.:mad: Thanks to a helpful cab driver we arrived at the correct port, San Pedro. There she was this tiny little "tub of a ship" surrounded with police tape, many LA County Sheriffs cruisers and 2 Sheriff's helicopters overhead. No one was being allowed on or off the ship. It turned out they had found dope on board the ship and consequently arrested the entire band ! ! :rolleyes: Waiting out in the hot sun, finally we were allowed to move into a storage shed nearby and the crew was allowed to bring us finger sandwiches and kool-aid while the Sheriff's Dept continued the search of the ship.

Left San Pedro 3 hours late, completely exhausted, and with NO BAND. :rolleyes: Our cabin was an Oceanview (porthole) w/bunks, although quite old, was very well maintained with a "writing" desk included and an "off-the-wall" bathroom, complete with a full size tub, shower, nice vanity and a radiator for drying the towels I guess.

The cruise north to Vancouver was punctuated with numerous "breakdowns" along the way, which only delayed us and rough rough water. The only pool off the aft deck was easily 8' X 8'! but had a net over it since the air would only be getting colder.The public rooms of the ship weren't very well maintained with carpets worn through, doors not closing cleanly, stains on the walls, etc. Just in general "shoddy" and incredibly small by today's standards.

We arrived in Vancouver 6 hours late, so the FREE tour of the city was out. When I got off the ship, as I promised to my wife, I got down on my hands and knees and KISSED the pier, swearing to never ever cruise again. :rolleyes:We did add-on a hotel stay in Vancouver for one day so we weren't rushed. One of the major attractions of this cruise was a visit to the Bushart Gardens on Vancouver Island, but the cruiseline had failed to pay in advance to reserve the ferry so we had to wait for the next one, thereby limiting the Bushart Gardens visit to 45 minutes ! ! We didn't mind that much, but there were some people that took this cruise explicity for this tour intending to spend an entire day there. They were, of course, heartbroken.

The one thing Paquet did right on this cruise as I've mentioned before in other posts, was the delicious cuisine. The ribs, steaks, seafood were beyond reproach. The most exquisite deserts I've ever had on any cruise ship ever. The dining room service was terrific.

The stay in Vancouver was great. Beautiful city and one of the cleanest large cities I've ever been in. One of the few highlights of this mostly disastrous cruise.

Upon returning to So Cal, my wife asked the travel agent why she would send us on this calamity. She said it was our first cruise, so we would have nothing to compare it to ! ! :eek:

My wife fired her on the spot and I've never used a brick and mortar travel agency since. Enjoyed NCL several years later and with a cruise on the Carnival Tropicale a couple years after that, in which we "accidently" got 16 of our friends to go with us, thereby getting a free cruise we weren't even aware of until afterward. I hit the craps table for $800 the final night at sea, and we were stuck on cruising. Just not stuck on each other as it turned out later. :(

I was turning 50 and had never been on a cruise. I brought my husband, kicking and screaming, aboard CCL Liberty. THE MOMENT we walked on the gangway and entered and saw the grand atrium we were utterly and completely hooked. We just really embraced the whole experience, and it was one of those magical times in our lives.

We don't have 20 cruises under our belt (we just cruised for the first time last year), but we'll get there!

I HATED my first cruise. We were with a large group of people and there was drama within my group before sailaway. Unfortunately I ended up in the middle of it by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It made for a HORRIBLE trip all around. There was a tropical storm in the gulf so the boat rocked a lot and it rained most everyday. I had cabin fever so bad - I couldn't wait to get off that boat and had plans never to return again!

Then two of the couples we'd traveled with on that original cruise brought up the idea of doing another one. We really enjoy spending time with them and the price was right, so we went. It was a total blast and it's clear by my list below, that we've been hooked ever since!

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Triumph for our DD 16th birthday in December, 2005. We had always wanted to try cruising and when I told her we would take her she said "well, ok but I am not getting my hopes up". After looking at 3 and 4 day cruises we surprised her with a 7 day :p.

We were excited and planned for months. The night before we flew out I started thinking of the big blue ocean, sea sickness, etc and freaked myself out. Told a friend of mine that I wasn't even sure I wanted to go anymore. All that worry was for nothing. First sight of the ship was incredible and the size still amazes me each and every time we go. We boarded the ship, we set sail and we were all hooked!!

Decided before the first one was over that we would cruise every year. That worked the first year, now I have to go more than once a year. Next one is not until May and I don't know if we can survive until then without a cruise fix. Yep we are addicted!!:D

I remember back in the 70s, going onto HAL Rotterdam for a Bon Voyage party for my mom, aunt and uncle (back then you could actually get onboard the ship - ah the good old days) I was so thrilled when 2 or 3 years later myself and 2 friends actually got to cruise on the beautiful Rotterdam ourselves -I will never forget our outside room with a porthole and "bunk beds". The ship was stunning and on a young 20ish girl it was all so elegant and classy.. since then I am hooked big time. If I could I would live on a cruiseship - Cruising is the Best!!!!:)

Archived