What to Not Miss Seeing & Eating in Oahu??

beachgal

Two months from tomorrow, I'll be on a plane to Paradise!! My friends and I are doing Norwegian Pride of Aloha March 6th and I have my excursions booked for that.

The following week, one of my friends and I are renting an apartment in a beach house in Kailua, Oahu and renting a car for the week. So please help me plan our itinerary! What do we need to see?? Where do we need to eat?? Mahalo for all advice!

Definately plan to drive all the way around the island. I like clockwise best. In March you should still be able to see big waves on the north shore so get out of the car around the Pipeline area and watch the crazy surfers there. Be sure to eat shave ices (with ice cream) as often as possible....you will find them everywhere. When you are in Haleiwa be sure to get a hamburger at Kua Aina (not much space...get take out and take the burgers with you to the beach). It is at 66-160 Kamehameha Hwy. Include the Waimea Valley Park in this trip too.

For a splurge dinner, try A Pacific Cafe Oahu in the Ward Centre (1200 Ala Moana Blvd) in Honolulu.

Places to go include the Polynesian Cultural Center (everyone should do this once), the Arizona Memorial, Punchbowl National Cemetary, the Honolulu Aquarium, The Bishop Museum, and the Iolani Palace. Be sure to drive up to the Nuuanu Pali overlook for the best possible view of Honolulu. Visit the Dole Plantation for lots of info on pineapple and some samples. Go snorkeling, perhaps at Hananuma Bay (I consider it overrated and too crowded though). There are other places to snorkel that are just as nice.

Take surfing lessons or an outrigger ride in Waikiki. Have a drink on the terrace of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and a great view. I don't recommend driving in the Waikiki area...park and take The Bus or the Waikiki Trolley or just walk.

If you are in good shape, take the hike to the top of Diamond Head (take flashlights for the tunnel sections).

Take a whale watching trip. Find some quite beaches and just veg out!

Kua Aina also has a store across Ward Center now (1116 Auahi). I'm not sure Pacific Cafe is still alive but you can always go to Kaka'ako Kitchen (owned by very upscale chef from 3660 on the Rise but more local style) or Brew Moon (brewery yuppie) if you're in Ward Center.

Don't forget to enjoy Kailua itself.... Within strolling distance of your rental you can walk Kailua Beach in the morning, have coffee at Kalapawai Market, windsurf and swim in Kailua Bay, and lunch at Buzz's. Other dining spots in Kailua include Baci (personal favorite) and Lucy's.

The Pacific Cafe on Oahu closed a long time ago (Jean-Marie Josselin's restaurants all closed except for the original on Kauai, I believe) so it's definitely not there. Would agree about Kakaako Kitchen, one of my favorite casual eateries on the island. Also, since you'll be in Kailua, drive up to Kahuku and eat at Giovanni's shrimp truck (plate of garlic shrimp ... yum!). For a splurge dinner, go to Alan Wong's restaurant and do the chef's tasting menu - pricey but definitely worth it.

Spleen

Mahalo everyone for the great suggestions! I've heard of most of them but now I have them all in one place! Thanks also for the suggestions in Kailua! We're definitely planning to spend some relaxing time at the beaches there and in Lanikai. We've heard they are quiet and beautiful. We have the Entertainment book so will use some of the coupons for eating out, but didn't want to miss the really good places to eat, too! We'll definitely do the shaved ice and the shrimp truck!!

What about the Aloha Stadium Flea Market?? Where exactly is it on Oahu?? Is it worth a few hours of browsing if we're in the area one day?? Is it there every day of the week and what are the hours? Thanks for any comments on that.

Swap meet/flea market is at Aloha Stadium (across the street from the Arizona Memorial - near the airport and Pearl Harbor) on Wednesdays, weekends and holidays. You want to get there by 9AM and be gone by 11 or 12 (too hot otherwise). Lots of stuff - good place to buy all those souvenirs and mac nuts.

As I recall, entertainment book works at Gee a Deli and Zia's in Kailua - both good for lunch. I guess I better go dig mine out of the glove compartment and check.

Beachgal-

You said you already had your tours booked for the time you are on the ship, can I ask what kind of things you are planning to do? My husband and I are going on the POA 8-21-05 and I looked at all the tours there are so much to choose from and they are pretty high priced. And Im wondering if we should try to book tours not through the ship and save some money. Sounds like most people rent cars and go on there own.

Drink a cocktail at the (outside) bar of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Waikiki and hope for a nice sunset.

Or do what I did and have a mai tai at the Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai bar at 10 am...hey, it's Hawaii time! Besides, mai tais have fruit juice (perfect breakfast). My sister looked at the picture DH took of me and said, "hey, those are morning shadows." Honest, I'm not usually a morning drinker. I just couldn't help myself. :D

beachchick

Nuuanu Pali does not overlook Honolulu but rather Kaneohe.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_to_see/pali_lookout.htm

For great views of Honolulu/Waikiki, Punchbow/Tantalus Mountain drive, or the hike up Diamond Head.

For Mai Tai's I liked Dukes, definitely a difference between those and the ones served at the Royal Hawaiian Luau. Also recommend the Oceanarium in the Pacific Beach Hotel, even if only for breakfast

Thanks for all the info.

Kalena, even though I'm going with a group on the cruise, we're all doing different things. No one wanted to a rent a car and go on their own, and I didn't want to do that by myself. That's just too much stress on vacation for me. I don't want to have to read maps, etc. If you have someone else who wants to rent a car and go on your own, that's great. You can do the research ahead of time and figure out where you want to go. So I've booked most of the tours through the ship and some with independent companies, and I'll give the reasons why on those.

Kauai Day 1, I'm doing Island Helicopter, booked directly through them. They will pick up at the dock, and if you pay in cash, it's $138 instead of over $200 through the ship. That evening, our whole group is doing the sunset sail through the ship.

Kauai Day 2, I booked Scenic Hanalei through the ship. It leaves at 1pm, so thought that would be a good ground tour to do in the a.m.

Hilo, I booked Volcanoes National Park tour through the ship. I know it's a long tour, but that's what I want to see in Hilo.

Kona, I'm doing Body Glove snorkel, booked directly through them because I had an Entertainment coupon, buy 1, get 1 free, and one of my friends is going with me. It's the same excursion as the ship does.

Maui was the hardest to figure out if you aren't renting a car. We dock in Kahului and nothing is there, and there isn't much public transportation on the island. The shuttles and taxis are all very expensive, and a lot of the tour companies do not pick up at Kahului.

Maui Day 1, I'm doing Haleakala Crater & Maui Ocean Center through the ship. That evening, our whole group is going to Pacific Paradise luau through the ship. I would have preferred going to Old Lahaina, but everyone else wanted to just go through the ship. I don't think it matters much. I've heard the food is not great any any, but the entertainment and atmosphere makes it fun, and it'll be a fun thing for the whole group to do.

Maui Day 2, I'm doing Prince Kuhio snorkel at Molikini Crater, booked through them. This is a morning snorkel. The same company does the excursion through the ship, but it's in the afternoon, and sometimes the water is too rough and the can't go to Molikini Crater, so I'm hoping morning will be better. When I get back from that at noon, I'm renting a car and driving to Lahaina for the afternoon.

Yes, the excursions are expensive through the ship, but some people prefer to just book through the ship and not worry about logistics. I booked many things through the ship because of the times we get to the islands or the times we leave and the fact that some tour companies don't pick up at the docks. If you're renting a car, you do have much more freedom, but someone has to be in charge of mapping out where to go so you don't miss anything.

Either way, you just have to decide what's best for you. I'll report back on cruise critic once we return and tell you about the excursions.

In the meantime, if anyone else has "must see" or "must eat" places in Oahu, please pass them on!!

You guys are going to have a blast!!! Thanks for all the info. I have alot of research to do before we decided what we are going to do. I liked the stress free idea of going through the ship. But if other companies are willing to pick you up at the pier thats just as good!! I cant wait to hear about your trip!!!

Nuuanu Pali does not overlook Honolulu but rather Kaneohe.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_to_see/pali_lookout.htm

For great views of Honolulu/Waikiki, Punchbow/Tantalus Mountain drive, or the hike up Diamond Head.

For Mai Tai's I liked Dukes, definitely a difference between those and the ones served at the Royal Hawaiian Luau. Also recommend the Oceanarium in the Pacific Beach Hotel, even if only for breakfast

I would bet that the ones served at the Royal Hawaiian luau are not the same as the individual ones served at the Mai Tai bar. I've never heard anyone rave about mai tais at any luau--I think the "mass" production just can't come close to how they should taste. Have not been to Dukes for one yet. Perhaps next time.

beachchick

Splinter - Two questions please

1. Could you outline the route you are referring to on your round the island drive. Do you suggest usung the 93 & 930 and driving up the south west coast or going cross country from Pearl City to Waialua on the 99?

2. Where are the better places to snorkel than Hanauma Bay?

Thanks PP

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to book a snorkel trip with Body Glove in Kona and they told me I had to book through the ship. Can you tell me how you booked directly with them. We would prefer to do this.

Thanks!

I go to Oahu for business a lot and I would recommend:

- get yourself a musubi (spell?) roll of rice, sea weed and spam at a 7-11

- rent a car and drive over to Kailua cause you will have the beach pretty much to yourself

- while over in Kailua go to Teddy's Bigger Better Burgers - FANTASTIC!

- drive to the North Shore to Sunset Beach - great place to watch a sunset!

- hike to the top of the Diamond Head Crater

- avoid the Dole Plantation like the PLAGUE - TOTAL TOURIST TRAP!

- buy all your souveniers at the Hula Bowl (stadium) Flea Market for a fraction of what you will pay in Waikiki

- if you want leis get them at the airport vendor stands (they also ship FEDEX)

- Dukes Canoe Club Waikiki for before dinner drinks

- Several options for dinner:

1.) Chuck's Steak House above Duke's Canoe Club - View of Diamond Head

2.) Auntie Pastas down by Diamond Head and away from the crowds

3.) Sam Choy's Sea Food

4.) Bubba Gump's Ala Moana Mall

NAHA,

Just call back Body Glove. If you have the Entertainment Book, tell them you have the 2 for 1 coupon and want to book. If not, just tell them you want to book the morning snorkel trip. I just told them to pick me up at Kailua Pier and gave them my cell phone number to contact me - told them we hadn't decided where to stay yet. There was no problem. Someone else on Cruise Critic had done the same thing.

A great tour is the "Movie Site Hummer Tour". For $79 pp, you get picked up at the hotel (or possibly the ship)in a Hummer, taken on a 5 hour tour (2 hours off road), get a disc w/30 pictures taken of you on the tour, and returned to your hotel (ship). Just returned from Honolulu and of all the things we did this was the most memorable. Especially if you're a movie buff - this is the tour for you. I can't say enough about Ed Kos...he was a 20yr+Marine, stationed on and off the Island and has found a way to stay there. Check out koshawaii.com and get the details.

Archived