Best side of the ship for Freedom-Western

I am interested in a balcony view that would have something to see, rather than open ocean, while in port. (An exception may be Labadee, where we would be able to see land on either side.) Can you suggest which side is better?

When you're in port, you most likely will never have an "ocean view"----there will be something to see everywhere you look.

Ships don't dock in the same place or same direction everytime....pick the best cabin in the best location you can get, and don't worry which side of the ship you're on! It won't matter one little bit.

I'll try and answer.

In labadee, the starboard side is the best b/c you get to see more of haiti that way. The mountains/hills along the ocean are beautiful.

In Ocho Rios, the port side has more to see, but not much more. Jamaica is beautiful, but it's hard to see from the port.

In Grand Cayman, it really doesn't matter b/c the ship is anchored quit a far away from the island, bow pointing toward the island.

In Cozumel, the port sida will probably give you a better view of the island. The starboard side of the ship often is along side the transfer ferry to mexico's mainland, and its not the prettiest ship.

All this being said, you'll have a great time whichever side you choose.

There is no way of knowing, generally. Each week the ship can pull in differently depending on tides, wind, ships in port, or even the captain's mood.

Labadee and Grand Cayman are always the same. For Labadee the starbord side faces more island, the port side more open sea and the island (because it is a bay). Grand Cayman, I would give the nod to the starbord side which will likely have a better view of the island. But, you are anchored out at sea.

Generally, in Cozumel, the port side will face land, however, depending on which side of the dock the ship is on it may face land through another ship. And, like I said, that week the captain may back the ship in and starbord side will face land.

Jamaica, just depends on how the ship docks that day, and so I would say that one is a coin flip. Last time I was there, port side had the better view, but they could have just easily flipped the ship around, as they frequently do.

As other posters have stated, you can never tell which way the ship is going to dock. I have had pretty decent luck with being on the port side and facing land. Comes in handy when watching late passengers run down the dock to try to make it back onboard right before it's due to leave.;)

Archived