Obtaining pics once they're thrown away?

kdinkus1

Someone stated a few threads ago that it was possible to 'take' your discarded pictures from the trash bin in the photography area. Is that true, and if so, has anyone been able to pull it off? With the high prices that Carnival charges for these shots, I now wonder (after that thread) if anyone else had walked away with their pictures on their last night, before they were sent off to the shredder? To me, it would be stealing so I wouldn't do it! Anyway, just curious...

The signs clearly say you cant take unpaid photos out of the area. So, yes, it would just be someone who stole their pictures and told themselves it was ok, because Carnival was going to shred the pictures anyway.

I just got off Conquest on Sunday and it was clearly marked not to even go into the library to view the photos, they cant go past the area until they are paid for.

Don't know about that, but several years ago I was at work when the receptionest called and said a lady wanted to see me. Anticipating a complaint I walked to meet her and it was a lady from our town who had been on the same cruise with us a couple of weeks earlier. She said as she was disembarking the ship she found a large trash can of discarded pictures, she noticed one of ours was on top, she picked it up and brought it to me.

You would think with the invention of their FunHub they would integrate viewing your photos on a screen instead...

would save a lot of money....

It's much easier to say "No, I don't want that one" if it's only on a screen and not right in your hand. Not to mention that colors don't always come out right on a monitor.

Combine that with the inherent guilt created by throwing out a stack of photos, and I can guarantee that it's worth it for Carnival to print the pictures out even if a majority of them are thrown away.

I wish Carnival would let us group our pix together. On HAL we were able to do this. The Volendam had a notebook with page protectors to collect the pix and the Westerdam put them into manilla envelopes. The Splendor just put them loose into a big box and you had to sort through them. UGH!

We buy more pix on HAL because of this.

I was just on Imagination. I noticed that the little trash bins for photos had a small slit in the top so that only the pics would fit. I am not sure if the lid came off as i didnt test it. As far as grouping pics together, I actually did that on the first day and On the last day, we went back and there they were, side by side.

When we were on the Jewel we happened to walk by the aisle on the last day where all the pictures had been posted....the crew member was taking them off the wall, tearing them in half and throwing them in to a bin...so I don't think anyone there would have been able to steal their pics!

We never buy any, anyway. Way too expensive for not-all-that great shots.

I suppose there are people that will try just about anything. Last year I saw a woman taking pictures of her pictures. A member of the phtography staff told her very bluntly to "put her camera away". I just wish they had confiscated her camera. It was theft, just as much as if she had been able to walk out the door with pictures that had not been paid for.

I wish Carnival would let us group our pix together. On HAL we were able to do this. The Volendam had a notebook with page protectors to collect the pix and the Westerdam put them into manilla envelopes. The Splendor just put them loose into a big box and you had to sort through them. UGH!

Aboard the Sun Princess in 2005 we were allowed to hold our photos in a large manilla envelope. On the Sapphire Princess in early 2009 they looked at us like we were crazy when we requested to do the same thing. I think each ship makes up its own rules.

Someone stated a few threads ago that it was possible to 'take' your discarded pictures from the trash bin in the photography area. Is that true, and if so, has anyone been able to pull it off? With the high prices that Carnival charges for these shots, I now wonder (after that thread) if anyone else had walked away with their pictures on their last night, before they were sent off to the shredder? To me, it would be stealing so I wouldn't do it! Anyway, just curious...

Well, no. They are destroyed. The recepticle is not in a public area..and they are shredded frequently.

If you want a photo,buy it....anything else is stealing.

we were on the emerald princess, we became friendly with one of the staff, at the end we offerred them $ 100 for all that we did not pay for

So that you could save a few $$$, You would set them up for the possibility of being fired? ken

• 1 month later...
I suppose there are people that will try just about anything. Last year I saw a woman taking pictures of her pictures. A member of the phtography staff told her very bluntly to "put her camera away". I just wish they had confiscated her camera. It was theft' date=' just as much as if she had been able to walk out the door with pictures that had not been paid for.[/color']

Prices for pictures are high, because of people stealing. They need to bump up the price of the picture to compensate for the loss. This is just like pricing at a Walmart , K-Mart , Sears or any retail store. They have to mark up the price to balance out any loss revenue that might affect sales.

I don't particularly like my photo's either but we do try and buy atleast one formal picture every cruise. I like the Fun Hub idea but not to sure about what the pictures would actually look like once printed. (colors, etc) However, it would save me a lot of headaches trying to find our photo's, especially fighting the crowds of people!

We just came back from a HAL cruise and its the first time I didn't buy ANY pictures. Carnival has so many more opportunities to get a good one, and the HAL pix just weren't that good :rolleyes:

Remember, That even though the pictures are in the trash, they are still the property of the cruise line. Taking them without paying is theft.

Archived