CCL 'Elation': Court papers filed in McGill murder

jleq

Well you all can thank your lucky stars that I won't be serving on any jury. They pretty much release me immediately when they hear what I have to say about our so called justice system. I like the eye for an eye justice. Get caught stealing - off with your hand. Rape - well you can guess how I feel about that.

I have no doubt this guy is probably guilty but there are reasons for our system of justice. And yes it doesn't work properly lots of times. But we should fight to change the things wrong with it rather than ignore it.

The thing is we can't really rely on news reports that confessions were made. Now again I'll state that I do think this guy is probably guilty but consider things that could happen in a trial...

...he passed out, woke up, saw his wife and thought he had done it. Maybe he had even thought about doing it and his guilty conscience made him confess.

...he didn't confess at all. My Cousin Vinny, "I shot the clerk? I shot the Clerk?"

...how about the idea that no one wants an unsolved case. It hurts business. Think Aruba. So maybe confessions weren't made but since everyone figures this guy did it why not make up some confessions?

Again I don't believe any of the these scenarios but I post them to point out that we have a trial system for very good reasons.

And edit to add: I wish you would be on the jury. I'd love to see the guy hang when found guilty.

I just look at it as though if we treated everyone as guilty until proven innocent, we'd have a better society. Eye for an eye. Hang em high.:D

There is just so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to begin.

Sorry about your BIL, but that doesn't negate the entire concept of habeus corpus.

Well you all can thank your lucky stars that I won't be serving on any jury. They pretty much release me immediately when they hear what I have to say about our so called justice system.

Lots of people think that's a cool way to get out of jury duty.

Lots of people think that's a cool way to get out of jury duty.

Do you know how hard it is to get out of jury duty? I made it deep into the voir dire before I finally got out of it, despite knowing the prosecutor, defense attorney, judge, and dropping the name of every political connection I could think of.

Do you know how hard it is to get out of jury duty? I made it deep into the voir dire before I finally got out of it, despite knowing the prosecutor, defense attorney, judge, and dropping the name of every political connection I could think of.

Gosh, you must be proud of that much effort.

Gosh, you must be proud of that much effort.

Ahh, another superior human being who can't see the humor when it's in front of them. :rolleyes: I guess looking down one's nose on the mere mortals before them does distort the view a bit.

I would hope such an ardent fan of our justice system would know that an attitude like that does not automatically excuse someone from being on a jury. Neither does being a member of the ACLU, loudly proclaiming yourself is a racist, our any other number of things. There is no sure-fire way to get out of jury duty short of your employer not paying you for the days you are on it.

(And for the record, I was excused from the jury pool due to prior knowledge. I'm more than happy to sit a jury, especially if it means I don't have to get us at the butt-crack of dawn to catch a train.)

Easy for me........relatives are on the police force:D

There was nothing to indicate it was humor, and it was all too representative of some people's attitudes. Those smiley faces really help.

I don't know, instead of interjecting with a lecture of the importance of American Juris Prudence and the Responsibilities of the American Citizen, I thought I'd lighten the atmosphere with a little sarcasm. I didn't realize you'd need road signs otherwise I'd accomodate you. Should I put them at high-horse height? Or is normal height good enough for you?

Oh, and just to be clear ... ;)

I don't know, instead of interjecting with a lecture of the importance of American Juris Prudence and the Responsibilities of the American Citizen, I thought I'd lighten the atmosphere with a little sarcasm. I didn't realize you'd need road signs otherwise I'd accomodate you. Should I put them at high-horse height? Or is normal height good enough for you?

Oh, and just to be clear ... ;)

Sounds like you're having a rough day. I hope you feel better tomorrow. :)

Archived