Fun finds at Mexican Walmarts

FlyGirl22

What are some fun/different/interesting items that can be purchased at Mexican Walmart stores? Great bargains?

We will be in PVR on our cruise next month, and I plan to walk to the Walmart near the pier. There is a particular flavor of Fritos that I love, but can't get anywhere around here. I always seem to find them in Mexico though. I think they are some type of chili-lime flavor.

I've also heard that vanilla is a good price. And I'll probably look for some fun candy or toys to take home for my kids.

What else can we look for?

(And please don't turn this in to a thread about why people shouldn't shop at Walmart...not looking for a debate, and if you don't shop there, you don't have to join this discussion.)

I am looking forward to our MR cruise, and while normally I might not shop at a Walmart, I have heard this is a great place to buy Vanilla. I plan on stuffing some stockings with that and maybe Tequila!

Now that you mention it, I think I remember reading that someone said Walmart had some type of tequila sampler pack with smaller bottles. That would make a nice stocking stuffer for the grown ups!

I don't know if it counts as fun/different or interesting but tequila is a very good buy at the wal-mart, and sams club too. It is extremely cheap compared to the USA and that is because PV is located in the state of Jalisco which produces the vast majority of tequila in Mexico. Many tequilas at less than half of the price of USA.

I love walmart in Mexico, I was in Cabo 2 years ago, and went,I bought all my cheap souvenirs there, like shot glasses, tee shirts, key chains, all the stuff you bring to co-workers!!! Tequila is cheapest there. My husband was born in Mexico so we also buy some of his childhood favs like cookies and candy, coffee and Mexican Hot Chocolate...and I do know what you mean about the chips, they are great, and you can't find them anywhere else....Sams club is good too, but Im not sure if you need to be a member to enter, I am a member in the US, so i will bring my card with me.

Nice heavy blue drinking glasses (in kitchen dept) - same ones they use for margaritas at many restaurants (regular water glass shape, though, not official margarita ones). They feel handmade, each is slightly unique (although for all I know they are made in China like everything else). I think we paid $5 for 4.

Cacuates (peanuts) - in snack dept. Come in lots of great flavours like chili/lime. Addictive.

Lots of items in souvenir area.

Hot sauces.

Kahlua of course (even if you have to store it for later consumption).

I will not step foot in a US Wal-Mart for lots of reasons, but I am definitely planning to hit one in Mexico. :o Their liquor selection is supposed to be quite good, prices are reputedly excellent, their meds are safe, and I can buy what I need and nothing more. I despise haggling and being harassed by street vendors.

The salsa "Huichol" comes in a plastic bottle and is awesome, makes a great souvenir. Same with the peanuts, but try the Japonesas- the Japanese peanuts that are coated in a savory crunchy coating. Yum!

A good lime squeezer is a must buy item, and a tortilla warmer, they are great for not only tortillas but keeping pancakes/waffles warm/rolls warm.

Little cans of chipotle peppers, great to add into chili and also mix with cream cheese as a spread on crackers (I also add smoked marlin).

Buy some saffron or Paella seasoning, much less expensive here. (Azafran)

and mole sauce in the box.

Saffron! What a great gift idea for foody friends. I can't afford the US prices, but in Mexico - and in a reputable store - this may be the answer to a few sticky wickets on my Christmas list! :D

Starsong,

be sure to check Sam's Club next door first. It is near the wine/bakery on the wooden shelves. Usually less expensive there and more often in stock. Bring your Sam's Card or they offer a 1 time pass at the front service desk.

:)

Besides vanilla, key chains and magnets, I get some water, fresh mexican pastries, and 4 oz. bottles of Dona Maria mole sauce base (I can only get the 8 oz. bottles in the hispanic markets where I live.

As I was walking out of the WM in PV, the manager followed me and stopped me and asked if I found everything I needed. WOW was I impressed. I can't remember the last time a manager from a WM here in the states cared.

I will not step foot in a US Wal-Mart for lots of reasons, but I am definitely planning to hit one in Mexico. :o Their liquor selection is supposed to be quite good, prices are reputedly excellent, their meds are safe, and I can buy what I need and nothing more. I despise haggling and being harassed by street vendors.

Perhaps the images on this site is why you avoid Walmart?

Now these are some fun(ny) finds: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

yhst-90161558613484_2074_511932

LOVE these peanuts!! You will find them in pretty much any store. I like lightly salted but they come in limon and picante as well. I can only find them in the US at Mexican supermarkets, I don't know why no one else carries them.

We hagled all day with the street vendors on vanila and suveniers. We wound up with sevral small trinkets and the vanila:D, then headed back to the NCL Star with time to spare(did not want to be left). We had enough time to spare that we hit WM. So much for my hageling. Nearly every item we had boought was in WM and for a better price then we paid :confused:. My wife joked that the vendors had just bought it at WM and then resold it to us:p. Still we had a blast.

Is there a Walmart shuttle at the pier like they do in other ports or do you need to take a taxi?

Debr

No need for a shuttle, both WM and Sam's are right across the street from the port in PV. We wish they had the same selection in the U.S. and in Mexico!

We hagled all day with the street vendors on vanila and suveniers. We wound up with sevral small trinkets and the vanila:D, then headed back to the NCL Star with time to spare(did not want to be left). We had enough time to spare that we hit WM. So much for my hageling. Nearly every item we had boought was in WM and for a better price then we paid :confused:. My wife joked that the vendors had just bought it at WM and then resold it to us:p. Still we had a blast.

I'd rather haggle and spend more to help some locals make some money than just pour it into a corporate giant. It is the least I can do visiting another country? Getting harder to do these days.

Archived