Guaranteed balcony (no room assignment) - guidance & recommendations

computerkitten

On the Carnival Miracle that we are leaning towards for next month, booking the guaranteed balcony option (no room assignment). We realize the probability of an obstructed view however how obstructed are the views and in general what is the probability of getting a really bad room? Considering we have twin 2 year olds and we are speculating we will be doing other activities and eating. We probably will use the balcony during their naptime and possibly in the evenings with a glass of wine.

Does anyone have suggestions and what are options for pressing for potential changes for at check-in for any more desirable rooms.

Any guidance or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Computerkitten

There are some 7As that are obstructed by the muster boats, the front 3 more so than the ones more aft.

Your chances of upgrading once on the ship are very very slim, in fact the FAQs say they cruise full dont ask, or something to that effect. Once in a blue moon there is someone who gets to change cabins, but not usually. My Ecstasy cruise, someone was very unhappy, said that Carnival didnt book the kind of cabin they requested and no room for their wheelchair, they demanded and demanded, but full up, so sorry.

Personally, I would be fine with obstruction, adds more interest to the view, but I know most just want to see blue water. I would be happy with any balcony. If you are like that, then a BL would be fine, if you are picky, then pay to pick your cabin.

On the Carnival Miracle that we are leaning towards for next month, booking the guaranteed balcony option (no room assignment). We realize the probability of an obstructed view however how obstructed are the views and in general what is the probability of getting a really bad room? Considering we have twin 2 year olds and we are speculating we will be doing other activities and eating. We probably will use the balcony during their naptime and possibly in the evenings with a glass of wine.

Does anyone have suggestions and what are options for pressing for potential changes for at check-in for any more desirable rooms.

Any guidance or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Computerkitten

Just remember, with a gty you can be put anywhere. I am not sure I would want to be over or under the disco with 2 year old twins, but that may be a possibility. That noise could go on till 4am.

Wish I knew what ships these are on, but there are some cabins that are listed as ocean view, that are actually obstructed balconies. Might be a way to get a balcony at a good price, and be able to see the location to know if you would want it.

What's the price difference between the 7a (obstructed balcony) guarantee and the 8a (unobstructed) guarantee?

You may still be able to save a little money, yet not have to worry about the obstruction by looking at the 8a price.

We have booked balcony gty twice. The first time we got the best balcony cabin that we'd ever had. The second time was a disaster, we were directly over the microphone on the piano bar. It was very,very loud until 1 am. The great cabin did not make-up for the noisy one, no more gty's for us. Happy cruising!

Elsie:cool:

Booking a "guarantee" means of course that you get what you get

For some time there were people who got upgrades...from the "upgrade fairy"..

but Carnival (wisely) decided to have a marketing team start calling people

to offer upgrades...at a price

now some call that the "upsell fairy"?? (why I don't know..it is just an upsell dept of telemarketers whose goal is to increase profits ...no "fairy magic" that I can see?)

The price difference you speak of is pretty good so you should be ok

unless like some here you have your heart set on a particular aft/wrap/whatever cabin...for me the money saved would be the big thing

I honestly don't understand how people book a guarantee and then get angry when they don't get a prime cabin?? Sure, hope for the best but expect that you might not get it.

earplugs...a noise machine...bring em and save yourself grief JMO just in case your cabin is noisy?

Also will find out the price difference of the 7a obstructed guarantee versus 8a unobstructed. Thank you for that point.

What's the price difference between the 7a (obstructed balcony) guarantee and the 8a (unobstructed) guarantee?

You may still be able to save a little money, yet not have to worry about the obstruction by looking at the 8a price.

If I were you with your children being so young, you may want to pick your own cabin, like others suggested. You really don't want to go with the guarantee and be somewhere noisy. We have done guar many times and were lucky that cabins were in decent area and even upgraded. But my kids were a little older when we cruised with them.

Just something to think about. You are probably going to want to put them down for naps and if you are in a noisy area that's not going to work and that may make them a little cranky.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. And have a great time!:)

I never buy a guarantee cabin for the reason I would not want an obstructed balcony.

If a particular cabin is important to you, don't book the guarantee. You are never guaranteed an upgrade of any kind....and you have bought nothing more than what you've paid for.

It's usually the lifeboats that obstruct the balconies but there are also obstructed views in any forward facing cabin, too.

Carnival ships sail full..with an average occupancy of 105=110% and they won't upgrade you at checkin.

In 2006, our group booked 4 guarantees for balcony suites on the Miracle. The upgrade fairy called all of us a few months out and we all were all upgraded to 4 Penthouse Suites.

Letting you know we took a chance and lucked out and that it is true that there is such a thing as an Upgrade Fairy!! :D

Archived