Local Beer

Tennant

Going rate for a bottle of beer is typically CI$4 = US$5. Happy hour pricing is perhaps CI$3 or CI$3.50.

All alcohol is subject to high import duties. Imports like Budweiser, Miller Lite, Coors, Heineken, and such get hit with this duty. Caybrew certainly has a higher operating cost than any of these giants, but usually comes in a little bit cheaper - at lest when buying by the six pack in a liquor store.

You can buy individual bottles at the Tortuga Liquor store at Royal Walters where many ships' tenders dock. Then sit in the courtyard or under the overhang and people watch while you drink it. Plus grab an homemade ice cream at the ice cream store on the 2nd level.

Can you purchase a 6-pack and bring it back to your room? Would make a great gift to bring back!

You can purchase a six pack or a case if you want. Whether or not you get it back to your room depends on how strict your ship is checking for booze when you reboard. At worst, you'll have to leave it for them to store for you until you return to your home port (just like you do for bottled liquor you buy on the ship). Thus I wouldn't buy it cold out of a store's reefer. It's going to sit the entire rest of your cruise in a storage locker. Either buy the sixer unrefrigerated or only buy a couple of bottles cold and stick them in your carry bag. Worst that can happen with the single bottles is you'll have to drink them before you can come back on board ship.

Can you really buy a 6pack and drink it on the beach or do you have to be somewhere specific?

I can't opine about the public beach. I do know that if you're at a hotel/resort that serves alcohol, you can drink it on their beach. We sat at the tables outside the ice cream shop at Royal Walters and drank our Caybrews. BTW there is a Caybrew Light. I've never tried it, mainly because I don't drink light beer.

Has anyone been to the Caybrew Brewery in George Town, and if so, how was it? Can you get there easily by taxi?

I have not been to the brewery. It is on the southside of th eisland east of the airport. A taxi can take you there. However, it'll probably cost you $20-30 one way. You'll have to negotiate. You may want to contact Caybrew to arrange a tour as these aren't regularly scheduled. You can also ask them about best source of transportation.

http://www.cib.ky/

• 1 month later...

I tried the Caybrew, and didn't really find it to be all that special. Plus a pitcher was 19 buck CI, so about 23-24 American.

I can however recommend you try Havanah Club rum. A generous shot with a couple cubes of ice was the same price as a Caybrew, and it is super smooth and suited for sipping. Local bartender turned me onto that and it was one of the best things I had on the whole trip. It will get you the same place you are headed with the Caybrew, but you won't have to make as many trips to the bathroom :D

I tried the Caybrew, and didn't really find it to be all that special. Plus a pitcher was 19 buck CI, so about 23-24 American.

I think you got ripped off Earl...You could have bought a couple of 6ers or maybe a case for the that at Tortuga's Liquors. Hopefully the barkeep that plied you with Havana rum wasn't at the same bar that stiffed you for the pitcher. And is Caybrew the best beer in the world, or even worth a special trip to find? NO but it is a decent beer for the Caribbean and is brewed locally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can however recommend you try Havanah Club rum. A generous shot with a couple cubes of ice was the same price as a Caybrew, and it is super smooth and suited for sipping. Local bartender turned me onto that and it was one of the best things I had on the whole trip. It will get you the same place you are headed with the Caybrew, but you won't have to make as many trips to the bathroom :D

you were very lucky to drink havanna club its a superb rum too bad its made in cuba and banned in USA lol. but havanna club is the original bacardi and taste better than bacardi cant wait to try this when i get to grand cayman.

and i def would try a caybrew just for the heck of it :D

I tried emailing them from the address on their website, but it came back as unknown. Are they still open? Could you take a bus to the brewery? Is there more than one beer they brew, so you could get a beer flight (samples) at any bar locally? (Here in the states you can get 2-3 ounce sample sizes, 5 or 6, for the price of one beer so you can taste them all before purchasing a full size one).

Archived