Dumb(?) question about snorkeling

nybumpkin

I am very nearsighted, and wear glasses for most activities. Can you snorkel with the mask over glasses? If not, how good is the view without corrective lenses? It's been many years (20!) since I've snorkeled, and my eyesight's just that much different with age. (I won't say worse with age....:D )

Many thanks!

I don't think you could snorkle with your glasses on, but you can get snorkle masks which have corrective lenses instead of regular glass in the mask. We rented this type of mask in Hawaii, but I had done some research ahead of time. We just let the shop know the prescription when we made our reservation for the gear. Another option, of course, would be contact lenses if those are appropriate for you.

Nope. There are some underwater tours where you can wear glasses, like a submarine or semi-submarine, and ones where you are in effect in a diving helmet like gizmo.

There are optical (prescription) masks you can buy for under $100. These are off the shelf type items - perhaps not your exact prescription, but close enough (unless you have a serious astigmatism (sp?). You could try making your own with an inexpensive mask and the cheapest pair of glasses you can find (or perhaps just the lenses). If glasses, snap the temples off and then... (i dunno, but I have heard of some people doing this, especially for kids whose vision is changing rapidly). Some kind of glue, but you wouldn't want all over, or you will know what cataracts are like.

Some tour operators may have a limited number of prescription masks, but I wouldn't count on it. Email any you are interested in to see if they have any or would arrange for one for you.

Ditto if you are just going to rent equipment from a dive shop.

Your vision underwater is different from above water, but it won't be that much different.

While off topic to this other thread, there is a little some more stuff here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=111594

I usually take the earpieces off of an old pair of glasses and place them inside the mask. It works out pretty well. Some ships have prescription masks that you can rent. Make sure you know what you prescription is if you want to try to rent one during your trip. I hope this helps!

You still have some time before your cruise, so if you can get some contact lenses (and get used to them before you go), that would be my suggestion. I wore them under my mask the last 2 cruises and didn't lose them......I wear the 2 week disposable kinds that cost $20 for 6 so I just bring a box with me, just in case (I wear glasses or contacts all the time, so I really need the spares should I lose one)

Thanks so much - I figured I'd have problems, given my vision. (Oh, Magoo...you've done it again!) Unfortunately, contacts are out - I had them until 1983, but my astigmatism was so bad the contacts distorted my vision. (The last day I wore my contacts was the day I got married - I figured I didn't need to see what I was getting into!:D ) I'm due for a new pair of glasses, so I think I'll try the suggestion of taking an old pair of glasses apart so I can fit the lenses under the mask. I suppose there's always the option of laser surgery - but I already spent that money on a cruise!

I think leave the lenses in the frame and just remove the earpieces (temples) to start. They can't move too far. They have dive shops in deserts, so why not in upstate ny? They would have a number of masks to try and you can see how it works out. Also, if you find one just perfect, you might want to buy it so you know what you will end up with. Masks can come in all shapes and sizes and you never know what you might end up with with a rental. Just a thought.

Something I think even I'll try, even though I have a couple of optical masks.

I do know I can see great through them - can even drive without a problem and used to once in a while just to see peoples reaction!

We actually used to have a diving equipment/instruction shop not far away, but it closed due to lack of business. The Hudson's a bit murky for diving, and the closest decent diving is in Lake George, which is more than 50 miles.

I like the idea of driving with the mask - after all, the license just says you need "corrective lenses!"

We actually used to have a diving equipment/instruction shop not far away, but it closed due to lack of business. The Hudson's a bit murky for diving, and the closest decent diving is in Lake George, which is more than 50 miles.

Other than looking for golf balls at some of the resorts, there ain't a whole lot of diving in the desert, but there's lots of dive shops here.

Once you thaw out, Kmart/Walmart and/or regular sporting goods stores might carry regular masks

My wife and I both have poor vision and neither of us wears contacts. We were planning to snorkel at both the ports on our cruise and, so decided to explore the cost of prescription masks. We found the best price at Snorkel Mart on the net. They explain how to order the correct mask based on your prescription. Then the lenses are taken "off the self." There is a standard correction for each eye - I guess it is possible to order bifocals if you need to do close work under water, but they are considerably more expensive. We received our masks very quickly, less than a week after placing the order. I admit that my expectations were not very high and, so I was very surprised at the quality of my vision with the mask. The cost was $56 per mask. The masks fit well and we really enjoyed snorkeling with them.

I should to admit that, yes, I ended up purchasing the fins and snorkels as well. However (and it must be obvious to you snorkel veterans reading this that we were doing this for the first time), the ultra dry snorkel that my 10 year old used enabled him fearless to dive down without swallowing the gulf as I was persistently doing.

We loved it and are making plans for snorkeling trip this summer.

You will have a great time whatever you do.

Hooper

Can you actually snorkle with contacts in? I thought people had problems when doing so...?? Anyone here have any experience with this? I normally wear glasses, but would be able to pick up a couple pair of contacts if needed. Would be lots cheaper than the prescription mask that I may never use again.....

Archived