First pass at itinerary.........

perlgirlnj

Perhaps it was the fact that we were there on a beautiful sunny day, but for us this was far more than just "OK." It was a beautiful, small lake in a tranquil setting. We loved it and as I said, wished we had been able to hike around it. I know: "different strokes for different folks." Things that were high on people's lists of highlights were not always the same for us. Everyone needs to determine what kinds of things "float their boat" and choose accordingly.

I've actually stayed there a few nights. Yes "different stokes". I have hiked around the lake, I like Ward in Ketchikan better. :) By far, again for me, better, was Little Coal Creek, did you go there?

I have gone with MICA guides and found, that if you haven't experienced glacier trekking, you are really going to shortchange yourself without a guide. First off, all the equiptment is included, which you need, to get anywhere out on ice and past the black ice begining. I was out for 5 hours, and the time flew by, made it all the way out to the lake, which offered excellent varied "ice" looks.

A cost saving option for rental cars, would be to rent your round trip car from Anchorage. Then your one way Anchorage/Whittier drop for only that portion. Only rental is with Avis. Although costly drop fees. I factor in other "costs" as well, including time, and enhanced touring options. This fee is a very small portion of the overall. Can be a benefit, depending on what your priorities are??

As for alternative glacier trekking, it is available out of Juneau with both a fly in and hike in. For the hike in, you do need an extended port time, and in good fit condition, as the hike to/from the glacier is a large bulk of the tour.

As I mention in an above post, IF you cut back a night at Denali Park, and get yourself to Talkeetna/Palmer, instead, then you can do the glaicer trekking.

Archived