Warning! Royal caribbean

This is all about glass half full or glass half empty.

Mine's half full - how's yours?:p

It was timely this came up because I read a letter to the Ed of SMH Traveller who had taken the ROS repositioning to Hawaii and returned on Princess - thumbs up for ROS from her too.

This is all about glass half full or glass half empty.

Mine's half full - how's yours?:p

It was timely this came up because I read a letter to the Ed of SMH Traveller who had taken the ROS repositioning to Hawaii and returned on Princess - thumbs up for ROS from her too.

My glass is FULL and on a vacation it should be

:cj

I enjoyed your post,thank you,I have been on 9 cruises and every time read bad reviews.Its true most of the info we get from others is very usefull &a big help,I consider myself to be a seasoned cruiser but often find myself asking a question.One thing I have noticed over the years is this,some of these bad reviews are people complaining about the food {the sevice}and make it sound like the food ruined there holiday,but then you find out this is there 3rd or 4th cruise with RCCL or whatever line and there booked to go again in 6 months.That blows me away.If I ever went to a restraunt and thought the food was lousy surely I wouldnt go back 3 or 4 more times.One time on the Mariner we were sat with a snob and stuck with her for the whole weekat dinner.The very first night she started already and this dictated the dinner mood for the rest of the week.Her big complaint on the first night was that the butter was in foil packs,reg old foil packs,she was appauled that they didnt have butterfly shaped butter pats,I can tell you I have eaten in some of the finest restraunts and never ever had butterfly shapped butter pats,The second night she was banging on about the waiters not waring white gloves to serve with,this lady was bitter all week and you have to realize that no vacation would keep this person happy.We suggested she eat at one of the pay restraunts but she was appalled by that idea as well she banged on all week about the slop she thought we were eating,but much to my shock on the last night they announced to the table they had just book a 2 week on the Freedom so go figure.My sypathy went out to her table mates on that ship because Im sure her complaints were as many.I think people have to be sensible and realize the situation that they are in on a ship.They are not eating at Gordon Ramsays {THe London in NY}there on a ship that is cooking for thousands of people,We have always been very happy and never disappointed because we realize they are not cooking for 60 people.

That is too true!

It's like the critics that line up to bag a film for some questionable moral overtones or element, and really go to town degrading it and all who were involved in its production, (politicians are especially good at this ... even more so with X Rated material) and then they proceed to say that they have watched it several times in great detail, it presents a moral danger to anyone who watches it (!) and that it should be banned?!

Another aircraft story:

On a half empty flight to London a frail old english lady was seated by the galley with her husband.

During the breakfast service at the end of the flight her husband indicated that she was feeling extremely unwell because of the smell of the food from the galley. When the crew enquired how long she had been feeling unwell they were told 'the entire flight'. When the manager suggested politely that they should have spoken up earlier as there were tons of spare seats and they could have easily been moved - the reply was "Oh we don't want to move we will just be writing to the complaints department!"

That to me is a professional whiner who either just wants to create a 'drama' or someone fishing for an upgrade on their next flight.

And if you read between the lines on many of these really nasty reviews that I believe is what many of them want.

What a delightful thread; I really enjoy reading all the various points of view...

And I think that is what I find addictive about Cruise Critic, and about cruising itself. We do provide a "critique" of our experience on board... and by the very nature of cruising, each of us will have quite a different experience, even on the same sailing.

Yes, to some extent, this is driven by our perspective, sunny or sad, high expectations or happy with what comes... but the truth is, even through those differently-colored glasses, I often get a good read about a cruise!

It is these differences, in fact, which make cruising so enjoyable to me! Where else can I enjoy many live music acts... tour backstage at a working theatre... take a spin class... spend time in a spa... play trivia.... dance in the disco... watch a movie... choose a variety of lovely meals served beautifully... pass people on deck playing unknown tile games (Mahjong? Dominoes? Who knows...)... while others enjoy drinking in bars... playing bingo... silly pool games... and whatever else they do -- all at the same time!

If I were to indulge my interest in the theatre on a trip with a group of theatre geeks, I would never be exposed to the folks who like to play basketball on the sports deck (nor would they ever meet me)... if I went on a spa vacation, I'd never meet the people who like to go to the "art" auction... and so on. And I LOVE that variety on board ship!

And I enjoy the variety of postings here, too. Yes, some people are annoying when they go ON AND ON AND ON about something negative -- we've all had bad experiences, and I must say, when I have, I WRITE ABOUT THEM HERE ON CRUISE CRITIC. As evenhandedly as possible, but I don't pretend they never happen.

Nor, like Kooljamming, do I think that "any day at sea is better than a day at home" or "any meal I don't have to cook or clean up after is a good meal". No, I like my life, and I like my cooking -- and I know good food from bad food, and I ain't afraid to say food is bad, even if it is served to me on a silver platter. I work hard as a single mom and take care of everything... I'm grateful to be able to pay for service, and if I valued it that highly, I would have it all the time... but I would still "critique" whether it was good or bad service, not merely be grateful that it is there!

Anyway, I really appreciate this thread and the many thoughtful posts on it. I, too, was confused by the thumbs-down and the title... but I got the "joke" once I read through it, and wanted to add my own (three) cents worth... : )

PS - I followed along on a Princess thread about a transpacific cruise last year and nearly cried every day, the photos and descriptions were so bone-shakingly beautiful. I couldn't wait to turn on my computer and see where I was each day! Can't wait to be able to do such a cruise myself... it sounds and looks amazing...

Pushing into food lines for their 3rd course, putting 25 towels on seats to save a spot for sunbaking in 3 hours time.

I must hop in here. I agree with you completely about the unacceptable and anti social behaviour such as you detail.

However at the same time I am compelled to point out that such appalling behaviour is not the sole characteristic of one or two nationalities. As a 'general rule' I find Americans to be one of the most polite people in the world - (I lament that Australian men are not more like our American cousins who are much more likely to show respect by the use of Sir, or Ma'am, and things like opening doors, in everyday interaction).

Aussie men have their good traits, but respect for women is not one they are especially renowned for. And indeed the people on our cruise who complained the loudest and spat the dummy the furtherest were the Aussie blokes who couldn't get their favourite 'can't leave home with out it' beer.

And when I look back on a life time of travel - the worst cases of rude obnoxious travellers I have encountered have been Australians overseas. Enough at times to be literally ashamed to count myself one of their countrymen.

The bottom line here is that no country (or more the point, its people) has a monopoly on such negative traits as you mention, nor by the same degree an exclusivity on positive virtues.

Our cruise was a case in point, certainly the old sun lounge hog makes an appearance on virtually all cruises - to the annoyance of most - but I'm guessing that if one nationality shows a great propensity to do this, it might generally be down to a higher percentage of people from that country on board, or in the case of some parts of the world, it is a cultural issue.

In Europe and parts of Asia - if you don't push in you quite simply miss your bus.

If you take the time to read some of the reviews of Mediterranean cruises, no one would ever book one, as the behaviour detailed is SOOOOO bad.

However that is not just on a phenomenon of life onboard ship. Anyone who has ever been to Europe knows that that is just how many parts of Europe are. And have always been. An annoyance admittedly - and one that would royally piss me off.

People have every right to complain and write reviews about it. I certainly would.

Perhaps I'm just overly cautious about signalling out one entire people for condemnation, rather than concentrating on the offenders themselves - in my book anyone who pushing in, or hogs the best sun lounge is disrespectful of others- and I will haul them out if I witness stuff like this.

One post script to all of this: people who slam such behaviour on the Mediterranean cruises in particular often sheet home accountability to the cruise lines.

I'm in two minds about this - 1/ can they be held responsible for people pushing in at a buffet and other annoyances? I'm not so sure.

2/ If it is a major point of regular complaint do they have a duty to implement systems to monitor lines at buffets ect - In this I lean towards the affirmative.

But again all of this is just my personal view - what is yours?

What a delightful thread; I really enjoy reading all the various points of view...

And I think that is what I find addictive about Cruise Critic, and about cruising itself. We do provide a "critique" of our experience on board... and by the very nature of cruising, each of us will have quite a different experience, even on the same sailing.

Yes, to some extent, this is driven by our perspective, sunny or sad, high expectations or happy with what comes... but the truth is, even through those differently-colored glasses, I often get a good read about a cruise!

It is these differences, in fact, which make cruising so enjoyable to me! Where else can I enjoy many live music acts... tour backstage at a working theatre... take a spin class... spend time in a spa... play trivia.... dance in the disco... watch a movie... choose a variety of lovely meals served beautifully... pass people on deck playing unknown tile games (Mahjong? Dominoes? Who knows...)... while others enjoy drinking in bars... playing bingo... silly pool games... and whatever else they do -- all at the same time!

If I were to indulge my interest in the theatre on a trip with a group of theatre geeks, I would never be exposed to the folks who like to play basketball on the sports deck (nor would they ever meet me)... if I went on a spa vacation, I'd never meet the people who like to go to the "art" auction... and so on. And I LOVE that variety on board ship!

And I enjoy the variety of postings here, too. Yes, some people are annoying when they go ON AND ON AND ON about something negative -- we've all had bad experiences, and I must say, when I have, I WRITE ABOUT THEM HERE ON CRUISE CRITIC. As evenhandedly as possible, but I don't pretend they never happen.

Nor, like Kooljamming, do I think that "any day at sea is better than a day at home" or "any meal I don't have to cook or clean up after is a good meal". No, I like my life, and I like my cooking -- and I know good food from bad food, and I ain't afraid to say food is bad, even if it is served to me on a silver platter. I work hard as a single mom and take care of everything... I'm grateful to be able to pay for service, and if I valued it that highly, I would have it all the time... but I would still "critique" whether it was good or bad service, not merely be grateful that it is there!

Anyway, I really appreciate this thread and the many thoughtful posts on it. I, too, was confused by the thumbs-down and the title... but I got the "joke" once I read through it, and wanted to add my own (three) cents worth... : )

PS - I followed along on a Princess thread about a transpacific cruise last year and nearly cried every day, the photos and descriptions were so bone-shakingly beautiful. I couldn't wait to turn on my computer and see where I was each day! Can't wait to be able to do such a cruise myself... it sounds and looks amazing...

You took the words right out of my mouth - all of them! Ditto Ditto.

Dingoboy - loved your post and I couldn't agree with you more! I enjoy cc and appreciate the great information that is shared here, but I no longer pay much attention to complaints and negative reviews, as I have found they are not at all in line with our own experiences.

SeaBaby

Dindo Boy

Quote" Aussie men have their good traits, but respect for women is not one they are especially renowned for. And indeed the people on our cruise who complained the loudest and spat the dummy the furtherest were the Aussie blokes who couldn't get their favourite 'can't leave home with out it' beer." unquote:confused:

Dingo Boy I have a bit problem with this statement. The generalisation that this is the case in Australia not only was something that I didn't agree with but I showed it to my wife and she felt it was a bit over the top too.

Every country has their fair share of rude people and they are something you will find everywhere when you travel. Before I started cruising I traveled to over 50 countries so I feel that I have seen a little bit of the world and I believe that no one culture has a monopoly on rudeness. I believe that my travelling has made me a better person and alot more tolerant with the ability to see two sides.

I remember reading a thread somewhere on these boards that was talking about how the cruise lines were lowering prices and therefore attracting a different class of traveller that may not have been able to afford a cruise in the past. The writers were then relating this to the ability of people to act correctly when onboard. Incidents of fights and abusive language were cited with people being put off ships and even charged for their bad behaviour. The ability to dress for dinner was cited as a further problem that had arisen with writers saying these people did not even own a jacket let alone a tux. Weather the writers were correct in their assumptions that manners were directly related to economic standing is a debate for another place at another time but the generalisation that this was the reason for bad behaviour was so far off the mark it would have been laughable if it wasn't so sad.

As I have said before some incidents that occur in front of us overseas should not be interpreted using our cultural values and beliefs. A recent issue on Australian Television has brought to a head the difference between the Australian and American cultures and the way we each perceive offence. Everyday we read articals that speak of oppression and beliefs that we may not agree with but is it really our place to condem people for that belief?

As an ex-publican I know that running out of an Australians favourite beer is a major problem. Some will make a big deal of it but to 99% of these people it will be in what we call "tongue in cheak" humor, he will drink just about anything but he is using that type of sarcastic humor that gets Australians into trouble so often overseas to make the point, dont run out again.

A poster on another board asked for assistance with regard to Asian cultures that they would encounter on their next cruise. Many posters gave advice regarding lifts, trains, lines, eating and the such like. The original poster eventually came back to tell all that they had cancelled the cruise and would never travel to countries where such rudeness occured. There was only one final post on the thread and it was simple, "I suggest you remain on english speaking cruises in Australian waters." I thought after reading that there was nothing more to say and the message to the poster was entirely appropiate, intollerance will only make you ignorant.

I'm sorry, I feel I might be rambling on here but I feel that understanding is the key to having a good time in any country. Cruise ships are interesting places with so many nationalities in such a small space, (87 on my NCL cruise), the small things then may seem to become amplified.

In correcting your statement, as a "general rule" I found that the majority of people from all countries I have been to have been polite or neutral and a small minority I have perceived to be rude. These people I just smiled at and walked away from, this always seemed to get the point across. :):)

Dindo Boy

Dingo Boy I have a bit problem with this statement. The generalisation that this is the case in Australia not only was something that I didn't agree with but I showed it to my wife and she felt it was a bit over the top too.

Every country has their fair share of rude people and they are something you will find everywhere when you travel. Before I started cruising I traveled to over 50 countries so I feel that I have seen a little bit of the world and I believe that no one culture has a monopoly on rudeness. I believe that my travelling has made me a better person and alot more tolerant with the ability to see two sides.

I remember reading a thread somewhere on these boards that was talking about how the cruise lines were lowering prices and therefore attracting a different class of traveller that may not have been able to afford a cruise in the past. The writers were then relating this to the ability of people to act correctly when onboard. Incidents of fights and abusive language were cited with people being put off ships and even charged for their bad behaviour. The ability to dress for dinner was cited as a further problem that had arisen with writers saying these people did not even own a jacket let alone a tux. Weather the writers were correct in their assumptions that manners were directly related to economic standing is a debate for another place at another time but the generalisation that this was the reason for bad behaviour was so far off the mark it would have been laughable if it wasn't so sad.

As I have said before some incidents that occur in front of us overseas should not be interpreted using our cultural values and beliefs. A recent issue on Australian Television has brought to a head the difference between the Australian and American cultures and the way we each perceive offence. Everyday we read articals that speak of oppression and beliefs that we may not agree with but is it really our place to condem people for that belief?

As an ex-publican I know that running out of an Australians favourite beer is a major problem. Some will make a big deal of it but to 99% of these people it will be in what we call "tongue in cheak" humor, he will drink just about anything but he is using that type of sarcastic humor that gets Australians into trouble so often overseas to make the point, dont run out again.

A poster on another board asked for assistance with regard to Asian cultures that they would encounter on their next cruise. Many posters gave advice regarding lifts, trains, lines, eating and the such like. The original poster eventually came back to tell all that they had cancelled the cruise and would never travel to countries where such rudeness occured. There was only one final post on the thread and it was simple, "I suggest you remain on english speaking cruises in Australian waters." I thought after reading that there was nothing more to say and the message to the poster was entirely appropiate, intollerance will only make you ignorant.

I'm sorry, I feel I might be rambling on here but I feel that understanding is the key to having a good time in any country. Cruise ships are interesting places with so many nationalities in such a small space, (87 on my NCL cruise), the small things then may seem to become amplified.

In correcting your statement, as a "general rule" I found that the majority of people from all countries I have been to have been polite or neutral and a small minority I have perceived to be rude. These people I just smiled at and walked away from, this always seemed to get the point across. :):)

Fair call! I take on board what you say - my language could easily been seen as too much of a generalisation - and perhaps I should have used words to effect of a small minority.

My main aim in the post to which you refer was to speak up for any americans who might be reading this thread. My problem as you pointed out was I did so at the expense of my own - which is is after all a typical aussie trait.

I was thinking more of the footy culture that so permeates our shores and being a male on building sites and the like, I'm sure that the wives and girl friends of those blokes at home would be appalled at some of the stories and the way 'some' of these guys behave when they by them selves. However you point is valid, and I'm sure building sites and tradesmen are the same the world over. And one would guess they don't love or respect their partners/wives/girl friends any the less.

And as for 'that' recent television show here. As soon as I saw it I thought there would be trouble - and my own personal view is that I had hoped that we would have grown and moved on from that sort of thing - I used to watch that show as a kid and I would have laughed at that skit back then,

But having seen first hand in my life how many people have faced appalling discrimination - anything that makes light of that in general, or people specifically really shouldn't be tolerated or accepted. Especially if it is likely to cause offence. Times change and so do society values, I remember in my childhood it was not that unusual to hear the 'n' word. Heck it was even in story books and rhymes for children. Now you would never hear that these days, and I think the show in question has highlighted just how far we have grown. If there hadn't have been an outcry or public discussion - that to me would have been a more worrying problem.

I'm just glad that Harry Connick was there to act as a circuit breaker and to raise a red flag. He spoke very succinctly.

But again these are my own personal thoughts and everyone, especially here at CC, is entitled to their own and to share them freely.

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

I've finally uploaded 3 of my 5 videos to youtube. (the final two may take a little while).

Hope you enjoy and leave a comment or two while you are there! Looking forward to hearing stories or your own adventures.

James

http://www.youtube.com/user/halealohafilms

hi fellow cruisers,

i've finally uploaded 3 of my 5 videos to youtube. (the final two may take a little while).

Hope you enjoy and leave a comment or two while you are there! Looking forward to hearing stories or your own adventures.

James

http://www.youtube.com/user/halealohafilms

whoops didn"t mean to post this here! Sorry.

Archived