Which site is larger: Tulum in Mexico or Altun ha in Belize

jkjmt

We've been to Tulum in Mexico about 9 years ago and haven't been to a ruin since. This year we're going to Altun ha....will Altun ha be a disappointment to us since we've been to Tulum????

We've been to Tulum and just got back from Belize where we saw Altun ha. Tulum is larger and the setting is more spectacular but Altun ha was not a disappointment. We still enjoyed our visit.

Did you book ahead or arrange in Belize after docking??:rolleyes:

We booked ahead through Island Marketing. Here's the Belize section of our cruise review:

Thursday – Belize City - We previously reserved a tour in Belize on line through Island Marketing called Alton Ha Ruins and City Tour for $42.50 each. The tour was to start at 11:30 (ship time). We went to the theater to see about getting tickets for the tender to get off the ship and we were given tickets on tender 2. We were off the ship at 9:30 and found the Island Marketing representative who took us to a small office where we paid for our excursion. We were told to come back in a half hour because if everyone on the tour shows up early, we’ll leave early. Everyone showed up early but we didn’t leave until 11:30 – the scheduled departure time for the tour. In the meantime, we walked around the shops in the port area and had a Beliken beer.

There were 18 of us on the tour and we were on an old school bus – it was nicely air conditioned and comfortable. Jenny was our guide and she did a very good job of explaining the sites around Belize City and the area north as we drove toward the ruins. The last 15 miles were on a very dilapidated and narrow road, full of potholes, and with a muddy shoulder that the bus would have to pull onto if there was oncoming traffic. Once we got to Alton Ha, Jenny guided us through the area for a little over an hour. The ruins weren’t as spectacular as some we have seen in Mexico such as Coba or Tulum but were very interesting anyway. We then got back on the bus and went to the Mayan Wells restaurant for lunch – very good rice with beans and roast chicken. They also gave us bottles of water and lemonade. The weather so far was very nice – overcast and not too hot or humid. Once we got back on the bus, the rain started.

At the rate we were going, I figured we would get back to the port about the time the last tender for our ship would depart. I asked Jenny if there were any contingency plans in case we all missed the last tender – a flat tire on these roads was certainly a possibility. Jenny just said that their tours always get back to the port on time. We got back at 3:45 – 15 minutes before the last tender departed. We enjoyed the tour but got a little nervous about missing the ship.

Thanks for the review of this tour.

I had read a post a few years ago, where people nearly missed the ship. I was kind of hoping that they weren't cutting it as close now.

Think that I will stick with a Carnival excursion for this island, as I don't wanna be left stranding in Belize.

Joanne

Think that I will stick with a Carnival excursion for this island, as I don't wanna be left stranding in Belize.

Just so you know, Belize isn't an island but a country in Central America.

:rolleyes: Sometimes, I wonder if the better price of booking a tour thru an independant is worth being anxious about missing the ship? :confused:

Our tour through Island Marketing was great, it was cheaper than a similar tour through Carnival, it included a nice lunch, and we got back to the pier with enough time to take the tender to the ship. But you're right - most everyone on the bus got a little nervous at the end. If we missed the last tender, I'm not sure we could have found transportation to Roatan to meet our ship the next day - and even if we could, the price would likely be high. If we had it to do over again, we would probably take the Carnival tour.

We also went on an Island Marketing trip in Roatan - something like Garifuni Tour with Mangrove Tunnel Canoe Ride and Iguana Farm. We got back to the pier in plenty of time (we even had an extra hour and a half to walk around the shops near the pier). And in Roatan, there is no tender. The Carnival ship actually pulled up the walkway to the ship 45 minutes after all passengers were to be on board. I would certainly take that tour again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived