Booking Excursions

IVaSong

We are wanting to book a few excursions on the Dec sailing thru the panama canal and don't know if we should book them now or wait and book them when we are on the ship. One of the excursions is through the Tropical Forest in the port of Puerto Caldera. Any inputs appreciated.

We are ... and don't know if we should book them now or wait and book them when we are on the ship.
If any that you really want to do are marked as "limited capacity" I suggest you book it as soon as you can. The others could wait if you don't want to pay for them yet.

The specific excursion (Tropical Forest Aerial Tram) is listed below. What recommendations would you share with those of us that will be doing this for the 1st. time ?

Some questions I have being it will be approximately 7 hours:

How long are you actually in the forest ?

How much time are you riding on a bus ?

Recommended insect repellent ?

Health wise, is it safe to partake in the Costa Rican buffet lunch ?

Health wise, is it safe to have a few of there tropical drinks ?

Are there plenty of plants, animal and birds for viewing ?

Is there anything I may have forgotten ?

Excursion: Tropical Forest Aerial Tram

Port: Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Price: Adult $119; Child $79

Duration: Approximately 7 Hours

Description

About 1½ hours by motor coach from the Puntarenas pier, you will find a reserve with cascading 40-foot waterfall, giant rain forest trees and panoramic views of the ocean. Board an eight-seater, open- air gondola with canvas awnings and a naturalist guide, and enjoy the ride as the wonders of the forest unfold before your eyes. The tram is an adventurous, unique, ecotourism sightseeing experience. It takes visitors on an excursion through the canopy of the rain forest to discover the beauty of the hanging gardens of air plants, animals and birds, hidden at the top of diverse tall trees. Home to two-thirds of all rain forest species, the rain forest canopy is a little-known world of tremendous beauty and extraordinary biological diversity. The tramway runs through a private reserve that contributes to the protection of one of the richest canopy communities in the world. The canopy is full of both known and obscure plant species. The lower, outbound leg of the tram ride will skim over hilltops and introduce riders to the sub-canopy, a dark world of overburdened limbs dripping with mosses, ferns and orchids. Lianas and vines drape over branches and traverse forest spaces where they are commonly used as paths by many animals. The return leg of the ride reveals an even more dramatic portion of the trip as the car glides on a journey through and above the canopy with stunning vistas. Enjoy a short, optional walk through the tropical forest to enhance the experience. Following the extraordinary experience of the tram, you’ll enjoy a delicious typical Costa Rican buffet lunch in the on-site restaurant with tropical drinks in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by the rain forest. Before the ride back to the ship you will have an opportunity to shop in the Rain Forest Souvenir Shop.

Notes Lunch is included. Wear light clothing; bring rain gear, hat, sunscreen and insect repellent.

The specific excursion (Tropical Forest Aerial Tram) is listed below. What recommendations would you share with those of us that will be doing this for the 1st. time ?

Some questions I have being it will be approximately 7 hours:

How long are you actually in the forest ?

How much time are you riding on a bus ?

Recommended insect repellent ?

Health wise, is it safe to partake in the Costa Rican buffet lunch ?

Health wise, is it safe to have a few of there tropical drinks ?

Are there plenty of plants, animal and birds for viewing ?

Is there anything I may have forgotten ?

Excursion: Tropical Forest Aerial Tram

Port: Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Price: Adult $119; Child $79

Duration: Approximately 7 Hours

Description

About 1½ hours by motor coach from the Puntarenas pier, you will find a reserve with cascading 40-foot waterfall, giant rain forest trees and panoramic views of the ocean. Board an eight-seater, open- air gondola with canvas awnings and a naturalist guide, and enjoy the ride as the wonders of the forest unfold before your eyes. The tram is an adventurous, unique, ecotourism sightseeing experience. It takes visitors on an excursion through the canopy of the rain forest to discover the beauty of the hanging gardens of air plants, animals and birds, hidden at the top of diverse tall trees. Home to two-thirds of all rain forest species, the rain forest canopy is a little-known world of tremendous beauty and extraordinary biological diversity. The tramway runs through a private reserve that contributes to the protection of one of the richest canopy communities in the world. The canopy is full of both known and obscure plant species. The lower, outbound leg of the tram ride will skim over hilltops and introduce riders to the sub-canopy, a dark world of overburdened limbs dripping with mosses, ferns and orchids. Lianas and vines drape over branches and traverse forest spaces where they are commonly used as paths by many animals. The return leg of the ride reveals an even more dramatic portion of the trip as the car glides on a journey through and above the canopy with stunning vistas. Enjoy a short, optional walk through the tropical forest to enhance the experience. Following the extraordinary experience of the tram, you’ll enjoy a delicious typical Costa Rican buffet lunch in the on-site restaurant with tropical drinks in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by the rain forest. Before the ride back to the ship you will have an opportunity to shop in the Rain Forest Souvenir Shop.

Notes Lunch is included. Wear light clothing; bring rain gear, hat, sunscreen and insect repellent.

I did the ariel tram excursion as part of an all day excursion that included other stops with another cruiseline. The description you've quoted says that the bus trip there is 1 1/2 hours since you will be docked at Punta Arenas. We were docked at Puerto Caldera, so the trip there was less than an hour. I looked at my pictures from the tram portion and see that the tram takes about 50 minutes. There is also a garden area with native plants and a lot of snakes:eek: (in glass enclosures). The lunch was fine - nothing "exotic" and no one got sick! I was disappointed as we saw zero birds or other animals (except for the snakes!). I was there in Feb. - so the dry season had begun - things were lush - but not as much as I had expected. The guides are very good - I think all are college graduates with very good English.

Archived