Worried about Luggage

AFT_LOVER

Delta Airlines is known for not getting luggage to cruises or to our home. We booked NWA who gave us FC RT CLE-MIA for Jewel cruise in December. We learn after the 4th email of flight number changes that we will fly CLE-CVG on a mini jet. Then an 757 to MIA. Last time we flew From MIA to ATL to CLE, we had an Umbraer jet & our luggage didn;t show at our home for 4 days. Luggage went to France, UK & home. No air miles tho.

So anyone recently had an Umbraer taking them to a cruise or part of Direct flight to a cruise. Did you luggage show in Mia? NWA tells us that we are FC so our luggage wiill be first off in MIA for us to get. Sure hope so.

Delta Airlines is known for not getting luggage to cruises or to our home. We booked NWA who gave us FC RT CLE-MIA for Jewel cruise in December. We learn after the 4th email of flight number changes that we will fly CLE-CVG on a mini jet. Then an 757 to MIA. Last time we flew From MIA to ATL to CLE, we had an Umbraer jet & our luggage didn;t show at our home for 4 days. Luggage went to France, UK & home. No air miles tho.

So anyone recently had an Umbraer taking them to a cruise or part of Direct flight to a cruise. Did you luggage show in Mia? NWA tells us that we are FC so our luggage wiill be first off in MIA for us to get. Sure hope so.

They didn't lose your bags because you were on a Embrarer jet but because the airline put them on the wrong plane. Can happen to a passenger on a 747 to a Emb.

On a recent cruise I actually learned something. I was flying to Seattle connecting in Atlanta. When arriving in Seattle I found out that my bag had not. Seems like if a plane is full the airlines (Delta in this case)will randomly pull of bags and put them on the next flight. I was actually taking a Princess cruise and they helped out unbelievably. They waited on my bag to come in on the next flight and took it to the ship for me even though I had not booked transfers or flight through them (great customer service) they even called me on my cell and told me they had the bag and it was on its way as it came in at 2:45 and the ship was leaving at 4. What I was told is always have your cruise bag tag on your bag (I had always waited as I was scared it would get ripped). That way they will see you really can not wait a day on your bag. It may also be a good idea to tape a note on your bags saying time sensitive flight do not pull. May or may not work but since they randomly select bags to pull in overloaded situation it certainly can not hurt.

They didn't lose your bags because you were on a Embrarer jet but because the airline put them on the wrong plane. Can happen to a passenger on a 747 to a Emb.

AGREE. Flew American from Pitt to Mia on an Embrarer. Flew direct (non stop....and super fast) as we didn't want to take a chance on the same bad experience. Sure it's more money but, the piece of mind you get is well worth the extra. Flying direct Pitt to Fll this Nov. for the same reason.

Poor woman across the hall from me on my last cruise didn't get her luggage and the room attendant didn't have any conditioner for her hair so I lent her mine. I felt bad for her but she had a good attitude.

Don't think it's limited to Delta. We've flown 7 times now for cruising, most of them on Delta, and several times for land vacations, and only once have we had a luggage issue. I had a former co-worker whose luggage the airlines (all of them) used to lose routinely. It got to be rather humerous to hear where Steve's luggage had finally ended up, compared to where his physical location was.

Just a couple of suggestions:

1 - Fly non-stop if at all possible. If you decrease the number of times your luggage gets transferred, you increase the chance it will make it to the proper destination.

2 - Don't cut your connections too close. The one time our bag was late (coming home, luckily, from Hawaii), we only had a 45 minute layover in San Francisco. We made the flight, my bag didn't.

3 - Get to the airport early enough that they aren't rushed with handling your bags. My former co-worker mentioned above was notorious for getting to the airport just barely in time to catch his flight, so it wasn't much of a surprise that his luggage didn't.

We have friends whose SIL works in baggage handling at the SLC airport, and he's passed on several of these suggestions.

However, on the subject of luggage, be aware that stuff happens. Our first-time cruiser friends who sailed with us on the Star had one piece of luggage totally trashed by the porters/ship in Vancouver when we boarded the Star. We'd flown to Seattle, boarded a one-day Princess flight, changed terminals in Vancouver and their luggage was fine. When it was delivered on the Star, there was a big gash in the suitcase, the frame was bent, and one of the wheels was missing.

It's been a while since I had problems, but for a couple years there was a running joke around our house "how come my luggage takes better vacations than I do?"

It got to be rather humerous to hear where Steve's luggage had finally ended up, .

We've flown with Delta many times since we started cruising. Haven't had our bags get lost, but we do follow the list given by ute_fan.

The one time our luggage was parted from us was when we were flying home from Hawaii. While we had a plane changed due to mechanical difficulty, our luggage had no such delay. The bags were waiting at a baggage claim office when we finally got home.

Guest nhrich

If you believe that your luggage will be off first because you're in first class, I've got some nice oceanfront property in Nebraska for sale. It all winds up on the same luggage carts.

Just a couple of suggestions:

1 - Fly non-stop if at all possible. If you decrease the number of times your luggage gets transferred, you increase the chance it will make it to the proper destination.

2 - Don't cut your connections too close. The one time our bag was late (coming home, luckily, from Hawaii), we only had a 45 minute layover in San Francisco. We made the flight, my bag didn't.

3 - Get to the airport early enough that they aren't rushed with handling your bags. My former co-worker mentioned above was notorious for getting to the airport just barely in time to catch his flight, so it wasn't much of a surprise that his luggage didn't.

We have friends whose SIL works in baggage handling at the SLC airport, and he's passed on several of these suggestions.

These are really great suggestions. I have another one also.

If possible, and you have the time and $, spend a day or two in the port city that you leave from.

I am thankful that I did this on our Barcelona/Med cruise. We flew BA to London, and Iberia (who is notorious for loosing baggage) connect.

Our plane had a VERY late take off, and we missed our connect. We had over 3 hours between connects! I thought this was plenty of time!

Every time I have missed a connect, luggage has been delayed.

Sure enough, when we arrived in Barcelona, three items were missing (out of 5). We luckily had 3 days pre cruise because our bags arrived late the night before the cruise.

So the advice in #1 above, is a great one--though not always possible. If not, an added "cushion" day or two" helps.

AGREE. Flew American from Pitt to Mia on an Embrarer. Flew direct (non stop....and super fast) as we didn't want to take a chance on the same bad experience. Sure it's more money but, the piece of mind you get is well worth the extra. Flying direct Pitt to Fll this Nov. for the same reason.

problem is flying out of Pittsburgh some cruise ports don't have direct flights on any airline anymore...seattle, san juan, hawaii; probably more

i've had my bags go MIA two different times on the way home, would hate to have it happen in reverse:eek:

even with TI, would be a pain 1st waiting for applicable waiting period to pass, then scrambling to replace stuff pre-cruise even with a day or 2 pre cruise

problem is flying out of Pittsburgh some cruise ports don't have direct flights on any airline anymore...seattle, san juan, hawaii; probably more

i've had my bags go MIA two different times on the way home, would hate to have it happen in reverse:eek:

even with TI, would be a pain 1st waiting for applicable waiting period to pass, then scrambling to replace stuff pre-cruise even with a day or 2 pre cruise

Flying out of SLC, we have a similar problem. When we sailed from Miami, we couldn't find a direct flight, and sailing from NYC, we also had a stop in Cincinnati since we were booking with frequent flyer miles. We've been lucky and had our luggage both times -- but we made sure we had a couple of changes of clothes in our carryon, and mixed both my DH's and my clothes in the other two suitcases in case one got lost.

I totally agree with the idea about flying in before. That's another suggestion I forgot to include.

On all the cruises below, our bags made it everytime, with multiple connections. Nobody that we met at the meet and greet lost their bags. We have heard of some with problems.

We ALWAYS, ALWAYS fly in a day early anyways, but still never had a bag problem. If you do some research, there are a small percentage of bags lost.I do not thing DL is much different than others.

By the way, the vast majority of our flights are on Delta.

On all the cruises below, our bags made it everytime, with multiple connections. Nobody that we met at the meet and greet lost their bags. We have heard of some with problems.

We ALWAYS, ALWAYS fly in a day early anyways, but still never had a bag problem. If you do some research, there are a small percentage of bags lost.I do not thing DL is much different than others.

By the way, the vast majority of our flights are on Delta.

We always cross pack so if one bag goes MIA we still have some stuff to wear. I also have a carry on that has essential and a small amount of clothes.

Another good reason why we cruise from a 'home port" NYC....and why we don't fly anymore. Have not flown on a plane since 9/11 and do not intend to unless it's absolutely necessary....a relative dies and we have to fly to the funeral, we get a "free cruise" leaving from some foreign country, we have to evacuate the US due to global warming melting the ice bergs and flooding us out....or I fall off a cruise ship and they have to fly my body home. :D

Many years ago I was flying Montreal to Atlanta (home), with plane change in Boston. I cleared all US Customs & Immigration in Montreal before boarding. I made the connection in Boston fine, with time for lunch. My one checked bag, on the other hand, took a different direction.

Delta found it two days later, in Bermuda. Then the funny part: :p Delta wanted me to fly back to Boston and take my bag through US Customs & Immigration!

After I had finished laughing, and otherwise talking in a loud voice to the Delta person on the phone, they agreed to fly the bag to Atlanta, but said I still had to take it through customs. So, the 'talking' continued. They finally said they would take care of it, and deliver the bag to my home.

When I got it, I could tell that 'someone' had taken everything out, and then put my stuff back in.

Rich

Also...try not to book with multiple airlines. On some travel websites you'll fly airlines A from here and airline B to there with a connection on airline C. While it may cost less to do these types of itineraries, it's a big hassle to check in multiple times and an even bigger hassle to depend on airline A to deliver your bag to their competitor airline B.

As far as Pitt goes the only direct flights I can find are American to MIA and Airtran to FLL.

As a traveling businessman my bags didn't make many times, too many times I have lost count. My grand daughter worked for a pet shop which uses air freight for tropical fish deliveries. She doesn't think much of air cargo timely delivery either, especially if it rained or snowed at any of the airports along the route of the package with transfers of the same airline, much less with different airlines.

It got to the point where I traveled light, with only a carry on bag.

As far as Pitt goes the only direct flights I can find are American to MIA and Airtran to FLL.

when considering a cruise out of MIA, i seriously thought about flying into MCO or TPA & driving down...not hard to grab a $70 fare into either, offsets the rental car rate of $40 or so. I think it's a 5 hour drive from MCO:confused:

AT has lost my luggage twice in the last few years. i still fly them if price is right, just fully expect flight times to be changed several times up to day before flight even (8 hours once:mad:), i had to cancel & scramble for flight on SW.

....and mixed both my DH's and my clothes in the other two suitcases in case one got lost.

What a fabulous idea!!! Thanks for all the good tips.

Just to add a little humor, we flew to the Bahamas on our honeymoon MANY years ago, our luggage went to Germany. If that weren't bad enough, my birth control pills were in the suitcase! :eek: We can laugh about it now.

What a fabulous idea!!! Thanks for all the good tips.

Just to add a little humor, we flew to the Bahamas on our honeymoon MANY years ago, our luggage went to Germany. If that weren't bad enough, my birth control pills were in the suitcase! :eek: We can laugh about it now.

Yikes! I bet you weren't laughing too hard then.

That does bring up another point, however. I never pack my prescriptions in a suitcase. They're always in my carry-on.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'll share an interesting story about my BIL. He's had a liver transplant, and is on anti-rejection meds. Somehow, on a Mediterranean cruise last year, he managed to combine both his supplies (he was carrying one, and my sister had the other) into one, and then LEFT them on the ship! They didn't realize it until they were in Rome and the ship had already sailed off for the next sailing. Since they were spending a few days post-cruise in Rome, he had to try and get them replaced.

He's got a LONG story about trying to find a doctor to prescribe the medication for him, and then finding that he couldn't obtain the drugs anywhere in Rome. He finally ended up having to go to the Vatican's pharmacy and was able to get them filled -- but not until he'd missed 3 or 4 doses, which is a big no-no. Luckily, he had no problems, but it was really scary for them.

Archived