Diamond Princess

gunner22a

We have a cruise booked on the Diamond to the Far East next year. The ship has been around for a while and I was wondering what kind of shape it is in. Does anyone know when the last time was that she had a refurbishment or if there is one in her future?

Thanks

We have a cruise booked on the Diamond to the Far East next year. The ship has been around for a while and I was wondering what kind of shape it is in. Does anyone know when the last time was that she had a refurbishment or if there is one in her future?

Thanks

I recall reading somewhere that the Diamond gets refurbished and upgrades (Movie under the stars and the Santuary) after the Austraila/NewZealand cruises finish in March 2010...........perhaps you can get confirmation of this on the Princess website? Enjoy your cruise, I have sailed on the Diamond twice before and due to cruise on her again Jan 4th 2010 she is a loverly ship.

I recall reading somewhere that the Diamond gets refurbished and upgrades (Movie under the stars and the Santuary) after the Austraila/NewZealand cruises finish in March 2010...........perhaps you can get confirmation of this on the Princess website? Enjoy your cruise, I have sailed on the Diamond twice before and due to cruise on her again Jan 4th 2010 she is a loverly ship.

Hi Westham

We are also cruising on the Diamond on 4.01.2010, have you joined the roll call? Did you find the ship to be particularly crowded when you sailed on her. This is the first time we have been on such a large ship, so we were wondering about crowds.

Sallyb

Did you find the ship to be particularly crowded when you sailed on her. This is the first time we have been on such a large ship, so we were wondering about crowds.

The lack of crowds is one of the great things about Diamond. The ship has a high passenger-space ratio and rarely feels crowded, even when sailing at full capacity.

There are a few exceptions to this. The Horizon court breakfast buffet between 0845 - 0915; it can be very hard to find a table during this time. Outside those times are generally OK. A better option IMHO is the dining room for breakfast.

The show lounge, particularly on the big production nights. We usually arrive about 30 mins prior to the performance to get good seats. The first performance always fills up completely. The 2nd performance usually has a few seats still available. When the show finishes it is quite crowded for about 5 minutes as 1000 or so people disperse throughout the ship. But after that 5 minutes it's back to normal. We've often gone into another lounge or bar and there has only been a handful of people there.

Disembarking early or embarking late at a port. If you are trying to be the first off or last on you may end up queuing for perhaps 10-15 minutes as everyone goes through the security screening. We usually go off about 1 hour after arrival and try to board about 90 minutes before departure to avoid these lines. But if our shore plans mean we are in the busier times it's not the end of the world ;)

And lastly on embarkation day. We often hear people complain that they were lining up for 2 hours waiting to board. I can only assume they arrived with everyone else around midday to board. We generally arrive about 2.30pm and are in our cabin well before 3.00pm without any delays (and the gangway photographer is exhausted by this stage and lets you pass without protest ;) )

For some real quite places onboard, go to the Wake View Bar (accessed via the stairs in Club Fusion), the Terrace pool aft on Aloha deck, the half tennis court if you're feeling active, the lotus spa pool (adults only) and the Oasis bar & hotubs on Sports deck.

Have a great cruise on our favourite ship :D

Hi Westham

We are also cruising on the Diamond on 4.01.2010, have you joined the roll call? Did you find the ship to be particularly crowded when you sailed on her. This is the first time we have been on such a large ship, so we were wondering about crowds.

Sallyb

Hi Shelby333,

Yes I have joined the roll call and Yes The Diamond is a big ship, only wait line like many ships of this size is sometimes in the Buffet, but it's not bad.........but if you can jostle your eating times a little it will help, we did not find the ship overcrowded. I'm sure you will enjoy your time onboard.

David & Angela aka Westham

We were on the Diamond this past July to Alaska. It is a very beautiful ship. I too was a little concerned as we have never been on a ship this big.. but it was definitely not crowded and it had plenty of comfortable public space. I am sure you will really enjoy the Diamond - have a great cruise:)

Thanks

We have just returned from a 22 night trip from Alaska - the ship is well maintained and extremely comfortable. very clean. I know you didnt ask but the service is brilliant - You will be spoilt rotten!

1st time cruiser here that sailed her in July to Alaska. We thought she was in excellent shape and well maintained. I was worried about crowding too but, except for Glacier Bay, we felt like there was plenty room in the common spaces. Like someone else said, I know that she's due for dry-dock in 2010 but don't know the exact month.

Archived