Chair Hog policy and suggestions

FanofFlorida

All of this is much too stressful for me....which is why I do not lounge by the pool.....the pool is not the only place to read a book and sun bath. ;)

I agree with the stressful thing. I do not spend much time in the sun as I have a very fair skin which needs liberal application of Factor 60. I will be spending very little time out there as I could not cope with the stress of finding an unoccupied lounger and any potential conflicts. A conflict would ruin my trip so I will be enjoying my balcony and seeking out the quieter areas of the ship.

How many of you actually watch the stuff for 30 min before you make your move? and I am not talking taking a quick look around then 25-30 min later see what is still there? if they came back for 2 min then left again the 30 min restarts...

The reason I ask is on my last cruise (only one I have been on thus far) everytime I got a spot near a pool if I got up and went to get a drink from the buffett 5-10 min round trip I would get back and my stuff would be gone or moved off to the side and chair occupied or just gone.

On my 7 day trip I was at the pool for a total of about 2 hours so I don't think I am a Chair Hog.

For me the problem was not the Chair Hogs it was the Chair Thiefs:(

How many of you actually watch the stuff for 30 min before you make your move? and I am not talking taking a quick look around then 25-30 min later see what is still there? if they came back for 2 min then left again the 30 min restarts...

The reason I ask is on my last cruise (only one I have been on thus far) everytime I got a spot near a pool if I got up and went to get a drink from the buffett 5-10 min round trip I would get back and my stuff would be gone or moved off to the side and chair occupied or just gone.

On my 7 day trip I was at the pool for a total of about 2 hours so I don't think I am a Chair Hog.

It's a hog eat hog world. ;)

But that's just as rude. It's like vultures were circling to make their move.

Hey.. Chair Vultures!! That's a pretty fitting description. :D

Did you ask for chair back? What kind of reaction did you get?

Wonder if leaving a book (even if you're not reading it) with a note sticking out saying "Gone for 5 minutes, do not take this chair" would help? If not, then the chair thieves are no better than the hogs. :D

Did you ask for chair back? What kind of reaction did you get?

Wonder if leaving a book (even if you're not reading it) with a note sticking out saying "Gone for 5 minutes, do not take this chair" would help? If not, then the chair thieves are no better than the hogs. :D

it happened to me 3 times over the 7 day cruise first time the chair was just gone and my stuff was there in a pile, next 2 times, I just didn't feel it was worth the confrontation... there were lots of chairs avail in other areas.

I found that if I didn't care about being pool side I could get a chair out of a stack 1 deck up and have all the room I wanted up there.

This all took place on a Carnival Cruise

Interesting information. What I understand is that there IS a 30 minute rule, but the staff TYPICALLY do not enforce this. I dont intend on saving DH a spot for more than 30 minutes. It is just that sometimes, he drags himself around in the morning.

On my last cruise with RCCL, I saw a physical altercation between a very strong looking European woman and a middle aged soccer mom. Apparently the towel 'blew' off the chair, so soccer mom thought it was available. When the language barrier made it impossible for the two of them to figure out what happened, Euro lady SAT DOWN on soccer mom.... it was actually funny from our perspective.

I purchased bright colored clothespins to secure my towel (sometimes my hat too) to the lounger. This not only kept it from blowing off with the occasional breeze, it made it very obvious the chair was in use while I was in the pool or hot tub. I also think it would be more 'awkward' to dis-assemble my personal items and steal my seat ;)

...Euro lady SAT DOWN on soccer mom.... it was actually funny from our perspective.

OMG! Hilarious!!!!

I remember a while back, there was a thread similar to this one, and someone posted a link to towels that stay on your chaise. Slips on like a pillow case.

I found this website and saw the towels can be monogramed.. Just in case anyone wants to actually "steal" your towel, they'd have to have your same initials. LOL

http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/ys161.html

I have a tactic I use if I see a chair unoccupied for over an hour and the person is saving it with a towel, sandals, etc. and a book. I very carefully remove the last two or three pages and put it back.

OH MY! :D GOOD ONE!!! Wonder if the "recipient" of your little "joke" will ever figure out this was done to them intentionally, or just think they got a "defective" book!!!!!

Archived