A question about Carnival Commercial

Bobby Darin is great (has a Sinatra style which is why this is confused with Sinatra). Its kind of ironic though that a cruiseline would pick this song as the last line is "and never again will I go sailin'." :confused:

Bobby is better known, I think, for "Mack the Knife" and "Dream Lover", and I almost forgot, "Splish Splash". Married to Sandra Dee . . . great hollywood couple in those days.:)

Bobby Darin is great (has a Sinatra style which is why this is confused with Sinatra). Its kind of ironic though that a cruiseline would pick this song as the last line is "and never again will I go sailin'." :confused:

Bobby is better known, I think, for "Mack the Knife" and "Dream Lover", and I almost forgot, "Splish Splash". Married to Sandra Dee . . . great hollywood couple in those days.:)

You're right! It was Bobby Darin who did the original. He had an interesting background (Mom was actually Sister...illegitimate birth). Kevin Spacey did a great job in the movie, and I don't know if he mouthed or actually sang. Married Sandra Dee, and they had a son. Very talented guy, who died very young due to heart problems. Great stuff! Sigh. American Bandstand brings back some great memories!

More trivia - the lyrics for "Beyond the Sea" were written by Jack Lawrence, a music director for the US Merchant Marine during WWII, who passed away this past spring at age 96. (He also wrote Frank Sinatra's first solo hit, "All or Nothing At All" - there's the Sinatra tie-in:)). Another of Lawrence's works is"Heave Ho, My Lads, Heave Ho," the official march of the US Merchant Marine. See what I've learned with having a kid in the band at the US Merchant Marine Academy?:D

More trivia - the lyrics for "Beyond the Sea" were written by Jack Lawrence, a music director for the US Merchant Marine during WWII, who passed away this past spring at age 96. (He also wrote Frank Sinatra's first solo hit, "All or Nothing At All" - there's the Sinatra tie-in:)). Another of Lawrence's works is"Heave Ho, My Lads, Heave Ho," the official march of the US Merchant Marine. See what I've learned with having a kid in the band at the US Merchant Marine Academy?:D

Great stuff! Thanks for the info! Love the history. Tell us more about the Merchant Marines...I'd really like to know! TIA.

Great stuff! Thanks for the info! Love the history. Tell us more about the Merchant Marines...I'd really like to know! TIA.
LOL, I'm still learning! USMMA trains officers for US commercial shipping, either as deck or engine officers. Graduates receive a BS degree, a Coast Guard license as a deck or engine officer, and a commission as an officer in the Navy Reserve. DS is in his first year; in either June 2010 or November 2010 he'll go to sea for three months, then again for six months the next year. He sailed with us on all our cruises before he started school - he'll be Platinum on Carnival if he cruises again!

LOL, I'm still learning! USMMA trains officers for US commercial shipping, either as deck or engine officers. Graduates receive a BS degree, a Coast Guard license as a deck or engine officer, and a commission as an officer in the Navy Reserve. DS is in his first year; in either June 2010 or November 2010 he'll go to sea for three months, then again for six months the next year. He sailed with us on all our cruises before he started school - he'll be Platinum on Carnival if he cruises again!

Thanks so much, Kathy! I appreciate your answer. (I'm a very old Army Brat who lived - everywhere). I'm glad that I was able to travel to so many places, and it just increased my love of continued travel, including cruises. You state that you're in upstate NY. Spent many wonderful days/weeks in Ticonderoga over many years. Wonderful aunt and uncle had a house right on Lake George. Now, I'm talking several decades ago! Best of luck to your DS, and I thank you once again!

You're right! It was Bobby Darin who did the original. He had an interesting background (Mom was actually Sister...illegitimate birth). Kevin Spacey did a great job in the movie, and I don't know if he mouthed or actually sang. Married Sandra Dee, and they had a son. Very talented guy, who died very young due to heart problems. Great stuff! Sigh. American Bandstand brings back some great memories!

Its because of this thread that I got to see the Kevin Spacey version (I never saw the movie). Kevin did a terrific job of that song and was a great dancer in the video also. I've played it several times, but I can't seem to tell whether or not it was Bobby's voice in the song. Very hard to tell. :)

Archived