Horizon balcony review

Hilary

I posted an overall review of our holiday cruise aboard Horizon in the regular Cruise Critic review section, but thought I'd post a mini-review of cabin 1074 for those who are interested.

After hearing if the addition of the balcony and the upgrade of cabin 1074 on Horizon, I started checking cabin availability on a regular basis. In about September, I noticed that 1074 was available and had my TA snap it up for us. Then began the long wait to make sure that Celebrity didn't move cabins around, or try to "upgrade" us for some reason. To us a suite was not an upgrade on Horizon as we love our verandas and wanted it to dry our wet dive gear.

After staying in this upgraded cabin, I am doubly sorry that RCI has chosen to upgrade Horizon only to move her out of Celebrity's fleet.

1074 is a beautiful cabin that was completely gutted and redone in warm woods and updated amenities. The bathroom was glorious with it's raised modern sink, the abundant shelving, and the addition of a shower DOOR instead of the dreaded curtain. The TV cabinet housed the TV, the safe, and the refrigerator, along with a couple of extra shelves for stuff. The vanity/desk had 2 outlets (1 didn't work) and above it was a mirror unit that opened to reveal small shelves for make-up and other personal items.

The headboard above the bed was 2 cushioned pillows that hung from a rail and was very comfortable to lean against to read in bed. There were 2 side tables with drawers on each side of the bed. The radio/speaker console was eliminated, thus you could not have music or choose to hear announcements in your cabin.

The balcony door was a slider that stayed open if you wanted, and the balcony was private with 2 cushioned chairs and a table. We found it to be very comfortable for sitting and reading, as well as eating and just general sight seeing when we wanted. Although it was covered, when it rained, the entire veranda got wet.

I can't help but feel that our cruise aboard Horizon was enhanced by staying in this cabin. It was comfortable, clean, well laid out, and we enjoyed it completely. If you can get this cabin, DO!

Archived