Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

10 more hump days for me! And I am using my accrued vacation time with a week off this month, and a cruise to Bermuda next month, and every friday off until October.

DH and I live 12 miles from the Capital in Dc - I HATE the traffic, hate the cost of living, hate the taxes on our home...I really want to move to Delaware, which has many economic and other advantages for seniors, but DH is not willing to move. He did, however, suggest I look for a smaller vacation home there. Crazy but i am probably buying a house near my best friend who moved to my desired area in southern Delaware. then i will be splitting my time between Maryland with my DH and the more relaxed environment i want to live in near Bethany Beach. Fortunately we can afford both...and i am praying DH decides he wants to sell our big suburban home and move to DE. He does love fishing, so there is hope!

needless to say, this retirement planning period has been very stressful. over the years i have frequently vacationed with my BF since DH doesn't like traveling much. After 44 years together it kind of tough to still be facing these challenges.

but I've learned to appreciate our differences and celebrate the good things.

I do envy those cruising couples who both share a love for travel.

Great to hear you are retiring soon!! I have a friend I cruise with because our DH's don't like it. They would rather hunt and fish. But you need to do what is best for YOU. This is your retirement too, not just your DH. Just MHO. Whatever you do.. enjoy it!!!!

Deb

10 more hump days for me! And I am using my accrued vacation time with a week off this month, and a cruise to Bermuda next month, and every friday off until October.

DH and I live 12 miles from the Capital in Dc - I HATE the traffic, hate the cost of living, hate the taxes on our home...I really want to move to Delaware, which has many economic and other advantages for seniors, but DH is not willing to move. He did, however, suggest I look for a smaller vacation home there. Crazy but i am probably buying a house near my best friend who moved to my desired area in southern Delaware. then i will be splitting my time between Maryland with my DH and the more relaxed environment i want to live in near Bethany Beach. Fortunately we can afford both...and i am praying DH decides he wants to sell our big suburban home and move to DE. He does love fishing, so there is hope!

needless to say, this retirement planning period has been very stressful. over the years i have frequently vacationed with my BF since DH doesn't like traveling much. After 44 years together it kind of tough to still be facing these challenges.

but I've learned to appreciate our differences and celebrate the good things.

I do envy those cruising couples who both share a love for travel.

Where in Maryland do you live? I live in Silver Spring. The traffic is bad around here but my husband and I are early morning risers so we do everything in the morning. I like it here better than Wisconsin which is where we came from 27 years ago.

I have friends that moved to North Carolina 10 years ago. They retired and are moving back to Wisconsin to be near their kids.

I have one daughter here with two children but I have two sons in two different states with children. So we divide our time between cruising and visiting family.

I went on a cruise!!! Fun, fun, fun. We booked another one today...I really think I'm addicted...but what a great addiction..lol

But back to reality here, school starts next week so I will need to figure out how many hump days I really have left. It starts on Thursday so I don't have to count next week.;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Forums mobile app

I have to be back for meetings the week of August 18 and school starts the week after that. Our smartboards are not here yet. They will probably come in the middle of Sept.

I have to be back for meetings the week of August 18 and school starts the week after that. Our smartboards are not here yet. They will probably come in the middle of Sept.

I start back Thursday. I loved my smartboard when it was working right. Always have a backup for when it stops working, or the students will think it is time to talk and act silly!

Deb

What goes around comes around. The middle school I just left took several years to get all rooms a smart board. Mission accomplished. Now, the new school opening in September, no smart boards! IPad Air and Apple TVs are being installed. Keeping up with technology is tough!

Congratulations to our newest posters approaching "freedom" day:)

What goes around comes around. The middle school I just left took several years to get all rooms a smart board. Mission accomplished. Now, the new school opening in September, no smart boards! IPad Air and Apple TVs are being installed. Keeping up with technology is tough!

Congratulations to our newest posters approaching "freedom" day:)

You got out at just the right time.:) They are starting with Ipads but not for all. I'll be out by the time they all get one!!! UNFORTUNATELY....I did have to change everything with Common Core this past year.:(

Deb

Gee, a lot of people here dislike working. I'm a financial planner, age 60.5 who plans on working for quite a few more years. Too many benefits to give it up. Props to those who have achieved retirement, however, if that's your dream. I'm sort of living my dream right now. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't work.

Ohhhh myyyy. I have a headache reading about smart boards, and iPads and Apple TV oh my!

Lol. I was the Director of Faculty Instructional Technology at the college and implemented and trained everyone to use all of the above!

This starts my fifth week of retirement. There was a big shake up at work this week, and my response, after fretting over it for about 10 seconds, remembered this old Polish proverb:

e2e6ezav.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where in Maryland do you live? I live in Silver Spring. The traffic is bad around here but my husband and I are early morning risers so we do everything in the morning. I like it here better than Wisconsin which is where we came from 27 years ago.

I live near Colesville. Depending on time of day it can take from 30 to 90 minutes for my 12.5 mile commute, since i may hit every stoplight on New Hampshire Avenue. I leave for the office at 5:30 for a fairly consistent 40 minute trip. if i leave at 7am its usually over an hour. of course i wont need to worry about that in 10 weeks when i retire.

Gee, a lot of people here dislike working. I'm a financial planner, age 60.5 who plans on working for quite a few more years. Too many benefits to give it up. Props to those who have achieved retirement, however, if that's your dream. I'm sort of living my dream right now. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't work.

I didn't dislike my job. Actually, I really liked it. I did it for 39 years. The college lets me keep our really good healthcare for the next three years (until 65), for both of us it's 180 a month. I even get to keep the wellness center benefits. I was in the same retirement system that many colleges have, TIAA-CREF, for 39 years. We don't owe a soul, and have other investments.

We are traveling in Europe in October and sailing home on the Oasis From Rotterdqm.

Life is good.

I didn't dislike my job either -- in fact, if I could go back in time 34 years, I would have made the same decision to teach.

I think you just get to the point when you know it's time. I was finding that the job was taking its toll physically (tired all the time, not wanting to do much on the weekends, etc.). And I couldn't cruise when I wanted to and/or take advantage of those last minute deals!

My husband is also a financial planner and he has a much more flexible schedule than I could have ever dreamed of having. He too plans on working for many more years. In education, teachers do not have the option of slowing down or working part time as I know my husband will eventually do. So, I think that to say that teacher retirees didn't like their jobs and/or working is most likely not true. (It's a tough job to stay with if you didn't love it.). It's more a case of being 60+ and no longer willing to work 50 or more hours per week.

Best of luck in your career. From first-hand knowledge I know it is a good one:)

Edited by Lady Hudson

I didn't dislike my job either -- in fact, if I could go back in time 34 years, I would have made the same decision to teach.

I think you just get to the point when you know it's time. I was finding that the job was taking its toll physically (tired all the time, not wanting to do much on the weekends, etc.). And I couldn't cruise when I wanted to and/or take advantage of those last minute deals!

My husband is also a financial planner and he has a much more flexible schedule than I could have ever dreamed of having. He too plans on working for many more years. In education, teachers do not have the option of slowing down or working part time as I know my husband will eventually do. So, I think that to say that teacher retirees didn't like their jobs and/or working is most likely not true. (It's a tough job to stay with if you didn't love it.). It's more a case of being 60+ and no longer willing to work 50 or more hours per week.

Best of luck in your career. From first-hand knowledge I know it is a good one:)

Him financial planner married to a teacher. My wife is a former teacher, too.

I live near Colesville. Depending on time of day it can take from 30 to 90 minutes for my 12.5 mile commute, since i may hit every stoplight on New Hampshire Avenue. I leave for the office at 5:30 for a fairly consistent 40 minute trip. if i leave at 7am its usually over an hour. of course i wont need to worry about that in 10 weeks when i retire.

If you are driving into DC down New Hampshire Ave., you do have a commute with traffic. I live about two miles from the school that I work at but I have to cross 29 at University Blvd. which can get tied up at times. I usually leave at 6:45 so that I can work in my room for an hour before the kids come in. I like to leave at 3:30 once all the kids leave. My husband was in sales and he drove all over Maryland and Virginia.

Great to hear you are retiring soon!! I have a friend I cruise with because our DH's don't like it. They would rather hunt and fish. But you need to do what is best for YOU. This is your retirement too, not just your DH. Just MHO. Whatever you do.. enjoy it!!!! Deb

Debbie, where did you go on your last cruise and which cruiseline? We are 6 days from being diamond on RCCL.

Like other people said already, you will know when you are ready. I am not ready yet either. At one point, I thought I would retire at 62 but I reached that point this past Feb. and I am not ready. Financially, 66 is better right now. I want to keep my health insurance for a while because it is cheaper than buying a supplement which we will have to do. I am making great money and hitting a streak of small classes (18 last year and 16 this year). I love teaching and I don't want to just sit. I would work part time but I can't do that in the AOW and collect my pension. So off to work I go. Actually, I get excited to go back around this time of year. I will be going in today to start to unpack my room.

Great to hear you are retiring soon!! I have a friend I cruise with because our DH's don't like it. They would rather hunt and fish. But you need to do what is best for YOU. This is your retirement too, not just your DH. Just MHO. Whatever you do.. enjoy it!!!! Deb

Debbie, where did you go on your last cruise and which cruiseline? We are 6 days from being diamond on RCCL.

We went to Bahamas, st. Martin and st. Thomas out of Miami on NCL Getaway. We are both Platinum on NCL which has really good perks. Platinum is like Diamond on RCCL. I like both cruiselines, but we have been going with NCL more lately.

Deb

I don't dislike my job. Love the teaching part but not all the nonsense they have added to it in the last couple of years. Also, I will only be making about 400 dollars less when I retire and I keep my insurance until 65. I will also start collecting SSI at 62 when I retire , so I figure I'm close to making the same with all the out of pocket expenses for school I won't be spending. And cruises will be cheaper...lol:):):)

Deb

The insurance part of retirement is a stickler for many people and getting worse all the time. I will be covered until 65 (not many districts around here have that) but have to Cobra DH (Bill) -- but only until December. So it is doable for us. We will still have to pay eventually for Medicare wraparound coverage and I haven't quite figured out how the prescription drug part works. But Bill is looking into that now getting ready for December. Oh, the joys of aging:)

The insurance part of retirement is a stickler for many people and getting worse all the time. I will be covered until 65 (not many districts around here have that) but have to Cobra DH (Bill) -- but only until December. So it is doable for us. We will still have to pay eventually for Medicare wraparound coverage and I haven't quite figured out how the prescription drug part works. But Bill is looking into that now getting ready for December. Oh, the joys of aging:)

I didn't realize that about health insurance until I started posting on this site. Mine is already high (500) for my husband and me. But I do know having to go out and get health insurance it would be a ton more. I get to keep my husband without doing the cobra. Yea, joys of aging....just as long as we can jeep cruising!!!;)

Deb

I will be getting back in the Humpday game again next week. I will be at 20 weeks. I'm only counting weeks I work. I do have sick and personal days left but not a whole lot so not counting those. My retirement date will be somewhere in the last 2 weeks of January 2015!! YAY!!!

Deb

Guess I'm in the minority here, neither DW or I like our jobs. Its decent money, but the stress is horrendous and I know its taking its toll on each of us and our family. Working for the government, contrary to popular private sector belief, is no picnic. I work in the legislative branch, and the OT is insane during session years. With term limits in place, there are always new members elected who don't have a clue about anything. DW also works for the government in public safety, and experiences a lot of stress as well.

We do hope to continue working, just not in our current jobs, something a lot less stressful and not as many hours. And no biggie if nothing comes along, we are financially sound and will find some volunteer stuff to do. And lots of travel either on land or at sea:D

I will be getting back in the Humpday game again next week. I will be at 20 weeks. I'm only counting weeks I work. I do have sick and personal days left but not a whole lot so not counting those. My retirement date will be somewhere in the last 2 weeks of January 2015!! YAY!!!

Deb

Getting closer. Tomorrow makes -5 hump days here. Retired but still working on retirement paperwork. Porting coverages, etc.

I didn't realize that about health insurance until I started posting on this site. Mine is already high (500) for my husband and me. But I do know having to go out and get health insurance it would be a ton more. I get to keep my husband without doing the cobra. Yea, joys of aging....just as long as we can jeep cruising!!!;)

Deb

Health insurance is another factor in the game. Right now I pay $330 a month for Kevin and I. Although Kevin is disabled, he only gets hospitalization free. Doctor visits and meds cost more so it is cheaper to carry him through my insurance. A couple of years ago, the Archdiocese of Washington, DC said that spouses could only be covered if they could not get coverage through their own work. We have not been hospitalized in 8 years but we do have a lot of doctor visits and meds. We have enough medical to claim it on our taxes. I could carry the insurance until 65 if I retired but I would have to pay the total cost which is about $700 a month.

Like I said, I would like to work part time in one of the Catholic schools when I retire but I can't collect my pension and work for them. I can sub but that is not steady. I will do something to pay for supplemental insurance.

Getting closer. Tomorrow makes -5 hump days here. Retired but still working on retirement paperwork. Porting coverages, etc.

Karen - I finished my paperwork last week. Had 90 days to complete in order for it to be retroactive to my last work day. DH is still looking at what to do with Medicare/supplement but he is good until December. I have nothing else to do for me until October 2015. I didn't realize there would be so many decisions to make!

Edited by Lady Hudson