Residency Discounts -- Who get's em?

lacruiser

I found out something today about residency rates that I didn't know before. There is a great Ontario residency rate for a balcony guarantee on the Oasis on Dec 1st. I called to get it and was told because I had booked and paid in US dollars that I wasn't entitled to the residency discount even although I live in Ontario.

Tomorrow I have to cancel my already paid cruise (lose deposit - $200 US) and rebook the Canadian rate. I would also get an additional $100 off per stateroom due to Diamond plus discount so it still saves me money but a real pain in the A** to sync both transactions.

Hopefully RCCL won't screw it up and stick me with 2 reservations.

Cheers,

We got a resident rate for a Thanksgiving Cruise this year out of San Diego, CA and we live in Texas. Not sure why, but I'm not complaining. The published D1 rate is $1200, & we are booked at $939. The mystery continues....

The two big factors are port location, and airline vacancies. Cruise ships use people who are close to the port to fill ships, since they know it's an easy and cheap getaway for them.

Also, airlines will use cruise lines to try to fill empty seats on airlines by discounting in certain states, to stimulate demand on the less popular routes.

Like others, I'm not sure how these get decided upon, but I do know that discounts for British Columbia residents do come up often. For the Alaska circuit (right in our area), deals for residents only seem to come up for early and late season cruises and re-positioning cruises.

Interestingly I have had a discount for British Columbia residents on a couple of different Caribbean cruises.

I have nothing to back this up, but I've wondered if offering these specials is a way of merchandising to people who live in an area serviced by cruises (get them hooked and they will come back often, given that they live near a cruise port).

I found out something today about residency rates that I didn't know before. There is a great Ontario residency rate for a balcony guarantee on the Oasis on Dec 1st. I called to get it and was told because I had booked and paid in US dollars that I wasn't entitled to the residency discount even although I live in Ontario.

Tomorrow I have to cancel my already paid cruise (lose deposit - $200 US) and rebook the Canadian rate. I would also get an additional $100 off per stateroom due to Diamond plus discount so it still saves me money but a real pain in the A** to sync both transactions.

Hopefully RCCL won't screw it up and stick me with 2 reservations.

Cheers,

What? That doesn't make any sense. :confused: Did you book through a TA or directly with RCCL? The residency rate I received recently were booked in US dollars, but booked through RCCL. There was no problem in getting the residency reduction even though I booked in US dollars.

Gerry

Hi Gerry (Eliger)

I booked directly with RCCL and apparently as the US $ rate doesn't show a residency reduction just the CDN $ rate then I am not entitled to it. Believe me I tried, I talked to 3 agents as well as 2 supervisors explaining what has residency got to do with how you pay the bill.

Tonight I will do it (cancel one & book the other) I will still save over $200 even after paying my $200 US deposit forfeit as it is now in the 30-69 day period (BTW this cruise was booked and deposit paid almost a year ago) and this is how they treat their diamond plus guests.

The lesson I learned is I will never book an RCCL cruise away in advance again. I am flexible when I cruise so it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,

Hi Gerry (Eliger)

I booked directly with RCCL and apparently as the US $ rate doesn't show a residency reduction just the CDN $ rate then I am not entitled to it. Believe me I tried, I talked to 3 agents as well as 2 supervisors explaining what has residency got to do with how you pay the bill.

Tonight I will do it (cancel one & book the other) I will still save over $200 even after paying my $200 US deposit forfeit as it is now in the 30-69 day period (BTW this cruise was booked and deposit paid almost a year ago) and this is how they treat their diamond plus guests.

The lesson I learned is I will never book an RCCL cruise away in advance again. I am flexible when I cruise so it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,

Very odd!!! We learn something new every day. :rolleyes:

Dumb question - how do I know if my price reflects a residency discount? Is there a way to tell? I live in NY.

I do know where to put my state in, just curious if there is a way to tell if I'm getting a cheaper price because I live in NY :)

Dumb question - how do I know if my price reflects a residency discount? Is there a way to tell? I live in NY.

I do know where to put my state in, just curious if there is a way to tell if I'm getting a cheaper price because I live in NY :)

Generally you'll see the "Special Pricing" icon and the red links for those cruises where you can get a special rate, and then beside the rates when you go to pick a stateroom or suite, in red lettering again you'll see the phrase "Residency Rate".

Like so:

11t8pcz.jpg

Our M&M thread has been discussing a residency discount here lately, and several of us have wondered how they decide which states get those discounts. Anyone have any insight into that process? All I know is that Louisiana never seems to get one!:rolleyes:

Why does it matter how they decide? Every company (not just cruise lines) does targeted pricing and this is considered propriety information. McDonalds doesn't let Burger King know why the decided to price a Big Mac for x dollars in Phoenix vs y dollars in New Orleans.

We had one for our Feb 2010 cruise. We are from Massachusetts. But you have to be careful. I was looking for a price drop and noticed that the resident rate was still the same, but the regular rate had gone down from $529 for the 3rd and 4th passenger to $135 for the same. So make sure you check both it might be worth it!

I have a question about the 3rd person rate. It dropped on my up coming cruise (3rd person rate) and when I called to have it lowered, I was told that I would have to cancel everyone in that cabin and rebook if I wanted the lower 3rd person rate. It was before final payment. The price for the 1st & 2nd person was much higher than my price, so I didn't cancel and did not get the lower 3rd person rate.

Was this accurate information that I was given? :rolleyes:

I know you fill in your state in the same reservation section that you put in military, police or fire department. Has anyone EVER gotten a fire dept. discount? Both hubby and daughter are members of our FD; I check my current reservation every couple of days and I have NEVER seen a discount for military, fire, or police service. Or am I just not seeing it? Anyone know what to look for?

Thanks!

I have a question about the 3rd person rate. It dropped on my up coming cruise (3rd person rate) and when I called to have it lowered, I was told that I would have to cancel everyone in that cabin and rebook if I wanted the lower 3rd person rate. It was before final payment. The price for the 1st & 2nd person was much higher than my price, so I didn't cancel and did not get the lower 3rd person rate.

Was this accurate information that I was given? :rolleyes:

Yes, it was.;)

Archived