is there a better option???

dcroxfan

We will be cruising on the NCL Jade in November. We are a family of 4 with an 11 month old, and a 3 yr old. We decided to book 2 connecting cabins. They do not have these on interior so we had to book oceanview. This is so that after we put the kids to sleep we can still stay up. Plus our bedtime routine is that the infant goes first while I entertain the 3 yr old (quietly so she doesn't wake up her sister!!!) then we put the 3 yr old to sleep. Also being a 12 night cruise we wanted to provide as much comfort as possible. The downside is that we didn't get the "kids discounts" as the cabins are priced at double-occupancy. My question is has anyone done this and regretted it?

I've never priced it out, but have you compared the price of four full fares in two balcony cabins to what it would cost for your family to have a suite? We were able to visit one of the AB suites on the Star and it had separate bedrooms - one 'master' and one smaller one with 'regular' berths and a bathroom of its own. The suites also have bath tubs, and from what I've read the perks are very nice as well.

Otherwise, I think you've made a great plan. This way you've got some options when the kids are sleeping, rather than just choosing among activities you could do quietly on your balcony... :rolleyes:

Thanks all for responding. We made the decision but seeing the prices of these excurions made me look for areas where we can cut some costs, but the comfort of 2 cabins is not worth sacrificing. Was just looking for some re-assurance.

Do yourself a BIG favor, and get a guidebook on your ports...libraries have them in the travel section, or buy one at a bookstore.

They can give you all the info you need to do things on your own without paying the outrageous excursion prices! Many, many things are easily doable on your own, but you have to KNOW about them!

The book will tell you about all the interesting things, how to get there, what it will cost, where bathrooms, restaurants, stores, etc...are....everything you need to know to have a full "island" experience without the high cost!

Do yourself a BIG favor, and get a guidebook on your ports...libraries have them in the travel section, or buy one at a bookstore.

They can give you all the info you need to do things on your own without paying the outrageous excursion prices! Many, many things are easily doable on your own, but you have to KNOW about them!

The book will tell you about all the interesting things, how to get there, what it will cost, where bathrooms, restaurants, stores, etc...are....everything you need to know to have a full "island" experience without the high cost!

This is an excellent suggestion, as is utilizing the port boards here on CC and asking lots of questions. Also, I don't know if you've researched private tours, but if you've only looked at the excursions available through your ship, you should be aware that there are less expensive ways to do things. I only book through a ship if the excursion isn't offered privately, or if there is a distance involved or some other reason you could be late returning to the ship. (with ship-booked excursions they will ensure that you make it back on the ship) I generally look at the ship excursions to get an idea of what's available, then do a little research into what else I can do and how much it will cost privately. The CC boards are a wonderful resource for recommendations or directions to a 'little-known' place for a good experience.

Archived