Were you asked for the consent letter

jerseygirl79

You can find the forms for permission to travel on the internet and download them.

As to notaries, at least where we live, we have never been charged anything for a notarized document; if we had been, I'm sure it would have been a very small charge. Maybe it is different in Canada, but notaries here just have it more or less as a convenient sideline to their job.

However, because of our construction business we do a lot of business with the bank and various realty companies; they are always glad to notarize something for us--maybe this makes a difference.

I've just moved back to Canada from the U.S. I can tell you that it is so much easier to have something notarized in the U.S. There, pretty much any financial institution has a notary on staff. Usually, it is a secondary part of their job, such as a teller at a bank. There is no charge for their services.

In Canada, notaries are much more difficult to find. They are usually lawyers and charge accordingly.

But' date=' to answer your question, as a widow I certainly have the right to take my children whereever I want, but I have been asked once for a cruise (and my travel could have been disrupted had I not had the paperwork in hand) and I was also asked in both directions when we flew to London.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I'm also a widow, and have yet to take our minor child out of the country. What paperwork would I need? Just the death certificate? Her last name does match her father's, but does not match mine if it makes a difference.

I'm also a widow, and have yet to take our minor child out of the country. What paperwork would I need? Just the death certificate? Her last name does match her father's, but does not match mine if it makes a difference.

The death certificate as this shows you are the only parent.

You are kidding right,, 2.50,, isn't that the price of a Big Mac.. here our lawyers and notaries don't work for pennies. And while I agree watching someone sign a letter is hardly work,, LOL, I do think they are owed more then what I tip a paperboy for their professional stamp .

I live in British Columbia Canada.. as my header states.

PS Do notaries in States work for tips,, if not,, maybe they should,, we have a former waitress on these boards who said she averaged out at 25 dollars an hour with tips.. ditch them robes and get yourself into an apron..LOL

The most I have EVER paid a notary is $10. usually it is free at the Bank or through some other organizations.

ALL they are doing for the money is checking your ID and validating your signature. Takes 2 min. tops.

The letter itself is readily available online or from the cruise websites.

Yes, the death certificate. I don't remember if the passport also shows parents' names. If not, the birth certificate as well to show the name on the death certificate is in fact the parent of the child. (I always bring one of everything in my travel documents). If you haven't applied for a passport yet, you'll also need to send the death certificate in with the application.

Best,

Mia

Maybe this is a naive question, but how would anyone know that the child you are traveling with is not your child unless you are asked? But even if asked, can't you just say you are her mother. I mean technically you are- you are her step-mother :rolleyes:. This summer we cruised with DH's DD and there were no questions asked (as much as I read the boards the thought never crossed my mind). As a matter of fact I was the only one in our party of 6 with a different last name but they referred to me as Mrs. (LOL). When we were returning from Canada one year (not via cruise) the boarder agent questioned my daughter who was 2 1/2 as to whether we were her mommy and daddy. That didn't go over to well with DH, especially since we had answered that question and no one asked "permission" to question his baby.

Maybe this is a naive question, but how would anyone know that the child you are traveling with is not your child unless you are asked? But even if asked, can't you just say you are her mother. I mean technically you are- you are her step-mother :rolleyes:. This summer we cruised with DH's DD and there were no questions asked (as much as I read the boards the thought never crossed my mind). As a matter of fact I was the only one in our party of 6 with a different last name but they referred to me as Mrs. (LOL). When we were returning from Canada one year (not via cruise) the boarder agent questioned my daughter who was 2 1/2 as to whether we were her mommy and daddy. That didn't go over to well with DH, especially since we had answered that question and no one asked "permission" to question his baby.

And that is precisely why immigration agents at various ports in various countries can require proof that someone traveling with a child is (1) allowed to be traveling with that child and (2) has permission from both parents (unless there is only one parent with full legal custody, for which proof can also be required) or the child's legal guardians to take the child from his or her home country into another country. Fact is that there have been numerous parental abductions by one parent taking a child to another country. Unless there is a legal custody agreement (which isn't common), a step-parent has absolutely no basic legal rights over a minor child in most jurisdictions. This includes not having the right to take step-child from one country to another.

Immigration agents do not need permission to question anyone they feel they need to talk to, regardless of age. Good thing your DH held his tongue or at least didn't cause any problems because that's a really good way to get detained at immigration in any country. Next time might not be so easy. If the immigration agent requires your DH to show proof that he has the right to take his DD from one country to another, you can all be denied entry/re-entry.

He doesn't have to like that fact that he can be questioned and that he can be required to prove that he is who he says he is. If he is divorced and shares custody, he should have a notarized letter from his DD's mother stating that she allows the travel from country A to country B. If he is divorced and has both full physical and legal custody, he should have a copy of the custody paper showing that. If his DD's mother has died, he should bring a copy of the death certificate. It doesn't matter how many times he or other parents/adults are not asked/required to show proof; it only matters that they can be and that not being able to do so can have devistating consequences for your travel plans. He is lucky that the immigration agent was willing to take a very young child's word for it. Generally, the agents seem to assume that very young children can be "coached" or even threatened into saying whatever the adult wants them to say.

beachchick

I tried to add this to the beginning of the last paragraph, but missed the editing deadline:

He might want to consider though that such rules protect him too. God forbid if someone (family or stranger) took his DD and tried to smuggle her out of the country. Would he be happy if the immigration agents just took the word of the adult with her? These rules exist for the protection of children and their legal guardians/parents.

beachchick

If you don't mind me asking, what did you write in the letter? I will be sailing this coming May with my 4 yr old (no daddy, just grandma and aunt) and am curious as to what I need to say in the letter. Thanks! :)

I cruised 3 times with my son while he was still a minor. I typed up a letter each time and had my ex-husband get it signed & notarized. I was never asked for it.

Here is exactly what my letters said. I had help from a travel agent with the wording.

I, John Doe of 123 Main St Anywhere, Ohio give permission to Jane Doe of 123 Oak St Anywhere, Ohio, who is the mother of our minor son John Doe Jr permission to take Junior from the United States to vacation on the Carnival Cruise Ship known as SHIP NAME. The cruise ship will leave the country on 1/1/09 and will return on 1/8/09. I understand that the ship will make scheduled port stops along the way and I also give permission for Junior to leave the ship and participate in on shore tours and activities in these ports.

I'm sorry. I misread or at least "skimmed" over the fact that there are two daughters involved. When you write "my daughter" do you mean that she is yours and your DH is her step-father? Or has he adopted her so that he is her legal daddy? Or does your DD have a living (birth) father who has legal rights with her? In any case, you should also have paperwork proving one of the following: You and your DH are your daughter's only legal parents, and your marriage certificate won't do it as you would have to prove that your DH also legally adopted your DD. Or you, as her mother, have sole legal and physical custody, which would mean having a copy of the custody order. Or your daughter's birth father has died, so you'd need a copy of the death certificate. Or a notarized letter from her birth father, if he has not given up or lost his parental rights.

Please, I urge you not to take this lightly. Having your young daughter "questioned" would be the least of your worries if any Immigration agent at any port for any country requires (and they can require it) that you both prove you are who you say you are and that you have the right to take your children between countries. Of course, if you and your DH have any children together, all you need is his or her birth certificate (or passport, if required) because it would show that you and your DH are the child's birth parents.

beachchick

. . . the boarder agent questioned my daughter who was 2 1/2 as to whether we were her mommy and daddy. That didn't go over to well with DH, especially since we had answered that question and no one asked "permission" to question his baby.

I'm with Beachchick on this one.

DD is now 14YO, but I have always prepared her ahead of time to deal with border/customs/immigration officials. These people ARE officials and should be taking their jobs seriously. They do have the right (and duty) to question anyone who either looks suspicious or may pick people (including little people) at random to question.

When my DD was not yet 4YO we went to Italy. While she, her father and I all share the same surname; the official when we landed in Milano asked her if we were her "mama and papa" -- she looked a bit puzzled and answered "no, that's my mommy and daddy!" (he was ok with that answer)

A border agent asking you or any of your traveling companions a few questions may have little to do with whether your child shares your name. It is always best to prepare your kids (and anyone else in your party that may not have travelled much) what to expect.

My sister had a horrible hair-raising start to her first cruise with her two daughters - she did not bring the consent forms and nearly missed the cruise - only because my father was able to reach her ex and have him FAX the form to the dock was their vacation saved from ruin, and we all had major heart burn by the time the afternoon was through ....

Her TA said nothing to her about this. By all means call the cruise line directly and ask them specifically what you need, and then bring it. You don't want to start your wonderful vacation shaken or totally disappointed and out a lot of money ....

HCBI

For what is worth, Last year I sailed on the Sky with my three kids and I had to fill out the consent forms the NCL has. Since I had a restraining order on my dh, I could not get him to sign the forms. I took a copy of my restraining order along with our other documents and they took it with no problems. This year since I am in speaking terms with my dh, I think I am going to get him to sign a consent letter and hopefully he won't give me too much of a hassel.

I'm sorry. I misread or at least "skimmed" over the fact that there are two daughters involved. When you write "my daughter" do you mean that she is yours and your DH is her step-father? Or has he adopted her so that he is her legal daddy? Or does your DD have a living (birth) father who has legal rights with her? In any case, you should also have paperwork proving one of the following: You and your DH are your daughter's only legal parents, and your marriage certificate won't do it as you would have to prove that your DH also legally adopted your DD. Or you, as her mother, have sole legal and physical custody, which would mean having a copy of the custody order. Or your daughter's birth father has died, so you'd need a copy of the death certificate. Or a notarized letter from her birth father, if he has not given up or lost his parental rights.

Please, I urge you not to take this lightly. Having your young daughter "questioned" would be the least of your worries if any Immigration agent at any port for any country requires (and they can require it) that you both prove you are who you say you are and that you have the right to take your children between countries. Of course, if you and your DH have any children together, all you need is his or her birth certificate (or passport, if required) because it would show that you and your DH are the child's birth parents.

beachchick

The baby that was questioned was our daughter together. No problems there. It was just disconcerning that a question like that would be asked of a child. It never happened before. There is another older daughter (12) that is my step daughter, DH biological daughter. Her mother is still alive. But I understand the gravity of the situation and the next time we travel with her, I will definitely insist that he get the required paperwork.

Thanks, beachchick!

The baby that was questioned was our daughter together. No problems there. It was just disconcerning that a question like that would be asked of a child. It never happened before. There is another older daughter (12) that is my step daughter, DH biological daughter. Her mother is still alive. But I understand the gravity of the situation and the next time we travel with her, I will definitely insist that he get the required paperwork.

Thanks, beachchick!

I thought she might be (or that your DH had adopted her, if she was yours) because you referred to her as "his baby." But with blended families it's sometimes hard to tell.

I don't mean to sound all "school teacher" lecturing at you, so it's nice to hear that you understood why I seemed so adamant about you knowing exactly what you might need to do.

I wish you wonderful family cruises (and other travels too).

beachchick

• 4 weeks later...

If you can get it, get it. That being said, most non-custodial parents trying to kidnap their children don't take them on closed-loop cruises. That's why driving or flying over borders, you will pretty much *always* be asked for such a letter -- and pretty much never when cruising. The industry is having a hard enough time being able to fill ships in this economy, and ports are losing money because of the lower number of tourists. Nobody wants to turn anyone away. And there are a ton of other single parents who, like me, have zero contact with their ex. But my money spends just as nicely!

If you can get it, get it, and have some piece of mind. No big deal. But this will be cruise #6 for DS and I coming up, and I have never had the cruise lines or immigration so much as bat an eye at us.

-gina-

If you can get it, get it. That being said, most non-custodial parents trying to kidnap their children don't take them on closed-loop cruises. That's why driving or flying over borders, you will pretty much *always* be asked for such a letter -- and pretty much never when cruising. The industry is having a hard enough time being able to fill ships in this economy, and ports are losing money because of the lower number of tourists. Nobody wants to turn anyone away. And there are a ton of other single parents who, like me, have zero contact with their ex. But my money spends just as nicely!

If you can get it, get it, and have some piece of mind. No big deal. But this will be cruise #6 for DS and I coming up, and I have never had the cruise lines or immigration so much as bat an eye at us.

-gina-

True, but it really doesn't make a difference to the Immigration officials, who do not work for the cruise line; they work for the various governments.

It isn't just peace of mind because if you are the one in a million who is required to prove that you're legally allowed to take your daughter out of the country and you can't prove it, then you risk being left at the pier. You are lucky that you've never been required to show proof. Does your ex have any legal rights with your daughter? If so, a court order might be something to consider, where a judge determines that you are allowed to travel out of the country with her. If you have sole physical and legal custody, then bringing a copy of the custody papers would be a good idea--again, just in case your 6th or 7th or 8th cruise is one where an Immigration agent requires you to prove your legal rights.

beachchick

True, but it really doesn't make a difference to the Immigration officials, who do not work for the cruise line; they work for the various governments.

It isn't just peace of mind because if you are the one in a million who is required to prove that you're legally allowed to take your daughter out of the country and you can't prove it, then you risk being left at the pier. You are lucky that you've never been required to show proof. Does your ex have any legal rights with your daughter? If so, a court order might be something to consider, where a judge determines that you are allowed to travel out of the country with her. If you have sole physical and legal custody, then bringing a copy of the custody papers would be a good idea--again, just in case your 6th or 7th or 8th cruise is one where an Immigration agent requires you to prove your legal rights.

beachchick

In Texas you're generally given joint legal and sole physical custody. It has been my son and I against the world since before he was 2, and he's almost 14 now. My ex has been basically uninvolved -- I don't even know where he is living anymore.

All I'm saying is, if someone has a way to get such a letter, then get it just for your peace of mind. If you're in the same shoes as me, and tons and tons of other single parents, then just go on vacation and enjoy your life -- no sweat. But by all means understand whatever specific situation you're heading into. If you're driving or flying to and from another country, you absolutely need a letter from the absent parent! Cruising, I have not heard of one major cruise line that even cares. I know for a fact that Disney, Princess, and RCCL don't. I can also attest that no airline (for a domestic flight) cares, and neither does Walt Disney World. DS and I test that theory a couple times of year. :)

If I had a way to get a letter, I would, just to have it. But I don't, and I just think it's a non-issue with a cruise. I think there would have to be some serious red flag for either the cruise line or immigration to even dream of asking about someone's situation with their kids.

As beachchick stated, it has nothing to do with airlines or cruiselines - and I'd hate for anyone to be confused or unconcerned about having the necessary documentation. I agree - the cruiselines absolutley don't care, but you are confused, because it has nothing to do with whether the cruise line cares or not. The government certainly does, and that is the gatekeeper you face when taking children in or out of the country.

On my third cruise alone with my children, I was asked for this letter when re-entering the U.S. after a Mexico cruise. Not by the cruiseline - you give your documents to U.S. government officials before you're allowed back into the country after every cruise that visits a foriegn port. If I hadn't had my proof in hand, I easily could have been delayed long enough to miss a flight. There are no refunds for a missed cruise or flight for failure to have proper travel documents. Now, it's true, out of seven cruises, I've only been asked once, but I would never make people think that as long as the cruise line doesn't care, it's all smooth sailing.

All the best,

Mia

Cruising, I have not heard of one major cruise line that even cares. I know for a fact that Disney, Princess, and RCCL don't.

Royal Caribbean cares ;)...from their site, under travel

documentation...

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Carnival cares ;)....from their web site

http://www.carnival.com/cms/FAQs/Minor_Guests_and_Pregnancy_Policy.aspx

Carnival's policy regarding traveling with minors:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Princess cares too...from their web site....

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/before.jsp

Documents for passengers under the age of 18

Several countries require special documentation for children traveling with only one parent or with neither parent; these requirements are subject to change without notice. Many foreign countries require any single parent or guardian to bring a permission slip for the minor to travel abroad. It is your responsibility to ensure that you possess the proper documents for all of the countries that you will visit. Please verify requirements with the immigration offices prior to your cruise.

What happens if you cannot get a consent form? Is there something else you can do, a letter from my lawyer stating we cannot contact my son's father or something like that? Whats the alternative if one parent is totally gone?

Dad is out of the picture, no contact with him for a year.

Just signed the paperwork for the divorce 2 weeks ago, nothing has gone to court yet so nothing is 'official' with regards to custody (I am getting full custody b/c no one can find the dad, and he had a lot of other issues regardless!)

We are going on RC in less than 2 weeks.

I do have my son's birth certificate, with my name on it listed as firstname, maiden name, married name. On all of my paperwork I have my maiden name listed. My son has a different last name than me.

What happens if you cannot get a consent form? Is there something else you can do, a letter from my lawyer stating we cannot contact my son's father or something like that? Whats the alternative if one parent is totally gone?

Dad is out of the picture, no contact with him for a year.

Just signed the paperwork for the divorce 2 weeks ago, nothing has gone to court yet so nothing is 'official' with regards to custody (I am getting full custody b/c no one can find the dad, and he had a lot of other issues regardless!)

We are going on RC in less than 2 weeks.

I do have my son's birth certificate, with my name on it listed as firstname, maiden name, married name. On all of my paperwork I have my maiden name listed. My son has a different last name than me.

I think that your young son having a different last name as you might be a problem, but don't know the specifics of his BC. I think, on another thread, someone advised you to seek a temporary court order, stating that you have sole legal and physical custody for the time being, and your attorney might be able to get this for you if you provide cruise documents. I say this just as a guess, so please don't go by my advice, but call your attorney! Is your son's last name the same as yours on your marriage certificate? That might be an important document. In any case, get whatever legal permission to take your son out of the US IN WRITING - both from the court and the cruise line (just to be on the safe side. Good luck to you, and I hope you and your son enjoy the cruise!

Archived