Photo ID for 16 yr old??

CruisnMom007

Taking our nephew with us on our upcoming cruise, we have the notarized letter from his parents, we have his birth cert and he has his high school ID card. Will that be acceptable for his photo ID? He doesn't have a license yet!!

Any info will greatly help!! We have traveled with our kids at that age and was only asked for the Birth Cert.

The other thing you may want to have is something that gives you the ability to authorize medical treatment.

I'm not sure how it works on the ship or in a foreign port but it would be terrible to have a minor illness and have to pay for ship to shore communications to authorize treatment. Paying a few dollars to have the parents get a legal document to authorize you as a temporary legal guardian for medical purposes could be important.

Same here in Indiana. They printed it out with the same machine they use for DL's.

California's DMV offices do not have the equipment to create DL and ID cards on the spot.

OP- Our teenage daughters have used their school ID in San Diego and Long Beach with no problems.

Were they 16 ?

The oldest was 15. By the time she was 16 she needed her passport for a school trip. When she got hers the rest of us got passports as well.

A school ID is a gov't issued ID. This same DD was 16 (& 17) travelling within the US by air alone and all she had was her school picture ID. No way was I going let her take the passport with her to school. (She does not have her license yet.)

OK....I think I found the answer! On this site:

http://www.carnivalcruiselinestore.com/faq.html

Special Notes:

1 - A photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age or older. The photo I.D. does NOT have to be issued by a Driver's License Bureau or any type of Government office.

Just a heads up, that site's faq info is 3 yrs old (read into some of the other special notes like "wil become effective December of 2006)

This is taken directly from carnivals website: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Required_Travel_Documentation_Excluding_Europe.aspx

"U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency."

It doesn't exactly clarify if it needs to be a gov't issued one or not for children but the sentence before that says gov't issued photo id then goes on to say 16 and over also need a photo id.

Archived