Best Beach for Swimming/Snorkeling

tispwisp

What beach would you recommend for beautiful swimming and snorkeling for beginners?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What beach would you recommend for beautiful swimming and snorkeling for beginners?

• Magen's Bay
    • Coki Beach
    • Sapphire Beach
    • Trunk Bay - St. John's
    • Other - Please specify

We will be in St. Thomas for the third time in May. Believe it or not, we have not yet been to any of the beaches on the island. Both DH and I will be learning to snorkel on this trip. We're looking for a beach with good swimming and snorkeling for a beginner. We have our own snorkel gear so renting isn't an issue. We are leaving it to you St. Thomas/St. John's experts as to where we go! :) If you can indicate why you would recommend a particular beach would be helpful! Thanks for all your input!

I chose Trunk bay because it is beautiful and has good snorkeling. But....I would also recommend Coki Beach. Heres why...Coki is closer about 20 mins from cruise docks. Trunk bay takes about an hour if you factor in cab and ferry rides. So..round trip travel time for Coki...40-60 mins. (going is faster than coming back) RT for Trunk bay at least 2 hours (probably more depending on what time you come back) Coki isn't as beautiful as Trunk bay but the snorkeling is in shallow water right off the beach. Great for begginers. With the time you would save going to Coki you would be able to shop or check out another beach. The few times we have ventured over to St John/Trunk Bay....we felt very rushed....and didn't have time for much of anything else.

I don't think you would be dissappointed in either choice though.

Good Luck and Have Fun...Your going to love snorkeling!!!

CaribbeanCrazy

Hi - its the Aussies on Board here.

We cruised last October on RCL to the Mexican Riviera and found that you had to pay for a hut or deck chairs for most of the beach area. Is this a normal thing or were we in the wrong area???

In Australia, beaches are a public place and cost nothing to go and drop your towel and go for a swim.

We are planning a cruise in August that visits St Maarten, St Thomas & San Juan and wondering if we will expect the same as Mexico or different.

If anyone has some places to go that are safe and free - please let us know.

Thanks heaps,

Shaun

Most of the beaches on the islands you will be visiting are free. The only beach I know of on St Thomas that charges is Magens bay. It is 3.00. If you visit a beach in front of a resort hotel...usually there is a charge for a beach chair and umbrella. Some Hotels/Resorts will waive this charge if you purchase food and drinks. But...most beaches are free to the public if you just want to find a stretch of sand and sunbathe on your towel.

Hope this helps :)

CaribbeanCrazy

My vote is for Salt Pond Bay on St. John (no 's', by the way). Uncrowded, out of the way, beautiful small beach, good snorkeling on either side of the beach, lots of fish, turtles, grouper, and other large fish can be seen often. It is not, however, for the normal cruise ship crowd.

I went last week on the excursion to Megan's Bay because it was one of the top ten beaches in the world. And I'm sure if you have never seen a beach before in your life, it would be. What a disapointment. We got dropped off for three hours at a dirty overcrowed beach. The sand was not, I repeat NOT white. It was more like mud than sand. There was no room on the beach by any of the facilities, so we walked all the way to the end of the beach just to get a spot. We complained at the excursion desk, but they did not do anything. If you must see Megan's Bay, then get the postcard. It is much nicer than the real thing! :eek:

My husband and I learned to snorkel in Coki, and since then, we've snorkeled in some of the best spots in the Caribbean. I would highly recommend Coki, especially for the beginners.

Megan's bay - no fish, nothing to see when snorkeling

Sapphire - lots of coral; a little more difficult to get in/out of the water where the coral (and fish) are, but if you're looking for a resort to spend the day, go here

St. John - have to take ferry; if you haven't enjoyed the STT beaches yet, I would recommend staying put

Coki is easy entry/exit, the water is crystal clear, and there's plenty of fish where you can still "touch" bottom... in case you don't want to go too far over your head. There are virtually no waves or current, so it's easy to float or swim where you want to go. You won't be disappointed. If you're really brave, bring a milk bone dog biscuit, and watch the fish swarm around you. They love milk bones. Only downside is that there weren't a lot of beach chairs or facilities. You'll pretty much put your towel down on the sand and snorkel. Don't bring many valuables, and GO EARLY. The beach gets crowded. Depending on how ambitious you are (and how much shopping you're planning to do), you can probably hit two beaches in one day.

Sapphire is about a $18 taxi ride, each way. I don't remember them charging to pass through their resort to get to the beach, but they do charge for use of their lounge chairs. It was a nice resort; not "luxury," but clearly had everything you would need. Of the three beaches, it's the least crowded.

I read an entire thread here on the cons of feeding fish while swimming and snorkling. It's detrimental to the fish's digestive system and the entire reef habitat itself. The only pro is you will attract fish. I personally would never feed the fish knowing that it is very harmful to them and their habitat. I've also read that it is illegal on St John to feed the fish. Would you feed your dog "fish food" ? ;)

A good suggestion made was to find a "bait shop" and feed them their natural food verses something that will harm them in the long run. If you're determined to feed the fish, then my own suggestion would be you might also consider going to your local pet shop and buying a bag of "fish food" to bring with you.

Please protect the fish and their environment.

Thanks,

Hello,

Shaun - all beaches on St. Thomas are free except Magens Bay... on St. John all except Trunk Bay.

bpampel - taxi from havensight (where most ships dock) to sapphire is $8 a person, one way and takes about 17-20 minutes in low-moderate traffic. (When returning to the ship traffic gets tight close to Havensight around 4-5pm and also at lunch time.)

MamaParrotHead - yes Magens Bay is a wade friendly beach. Emerald Beach and Brewers Bay are other options.

Deron - Sapphire is a nice spot. Not a huge beach and not a huge resort - not sure if that was what you were looking for?

Awatt - no umbrellas at Magens Bay, but lots of trees that you can use for shade.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Sapphire Beach is one of the most beautiful on the island, in my opinion. The views to St. John and beyond are breathtaking. I stayed there for a week last summer and returned for the day on my recent cruise.

The resort is friendly to cruise ship passengers. Costs $5 to rent a chair, cab from Havensight was $8 per person. There are seagrape trees if you need some shade. No vendors bugging you, very peaceful.

You can snorkel from shore- the coral is decent. If you swim out toward Prettyklip point, where the palm trees are, there are lots of fish and the coral is more "alive" and colorful. It is fairly deep though, so use fins and/or a snorkel vest.

Have fun! :)

It's goin to be either Sapphire or Coki for me! Can't decide on which though. Sounds like Coki has the better snorkeling, and Sapphire less crowded.

Which is the prettiest?

I saw both, and snorkled at Coki (which I loved!!!!!) Best snorkeling I have ever had.

As to your choice.... We were there on a Sunday, and the Islanders all go to Sapphire on Sunday as they bring in a band and have other activities. So it is VERY VERY crowded on Sundays.

I was beond pleased with Coki! I want to go back!!!! (and it's only been 2 weeks since I was there:D)

Is there access to any "cocktails" (frozen drinks) at Coki beach? We really want to snorkle and that sounds like the best beach for it, however, we love sipping our drinks also. Trying to get the best of everything.- QLOTP

I have snorkeled at cinnamon and Trunk and trunk is better but more crowded. Trunk has showers and I do not think Cinnamon does, it is more of a beach for the people staying in the camp ground. I think it is a $3 fee for trunk,I was there 3 yrs ago so could be more by now. Did like the underwater trail here.

Is the best snorkeling at Coki to the right or to the left as you enter the beach area?

Janet

We stayed mostly on the right side.

Acording to this website http://www.cokidive.com/about_us.htm ... "If you are a SNORKELER look at the beach map, the right side by the rocks has the most fish. If you don't like to go far from the beach, the fish will come up to you and feed out of your hand even in chest deep water."

Coki is a very narrow beach. there is not a lot of sand there between the hotels and the water. The snorkeling is right off the beach. When you enter the beach walk left. We walked left and left and left to try and get away from all the crowds who were sitting right where they drop you off to enter the beach. There are bars right there and they rent chairs and umbrellas if you want them. We chose to just sit on the sand and swam and snorkeled for 2 hours straight. Then we were ready to go back to the ship and our cab driver was waiting for us right there when we were done. But the beach is not big and it is very crowded with cruise ship passengers. If you walk farther away from where they drop you off you will have more room to spread out there.

Archived