body bug as seen on biggest looser

Jods00

It's expensive. $249-$299 plus you need to pay for the monthly subscription service that monitors the information. A bit out of my reach. I wonder how many people will continue wearing them a year from now. If you're into gadgets, people who have them love them. "Like being on Vicodin with alcohol".

I have a body bug. It's nice to monitor how many calories you are losing throughout the day. What I think it's great for is doing different exercises and seeing where you lose the most calories. For example, I was doing Jillian Michaels videos, don't really lose many calories doing those, not nearly as many as I thought, compared to just running or doing the elliptical. However once you have been wearing it for a certain length of time you pretty much get the feeling for your average calories lost on a working out day and a non working out day, and don't really need to continue wearing it every day. Weight loss and looking great also isn't as simple as calories in vs. calories out. Many times my calorie deficits would say I would loss more weight per week than I did. There are other factors that play a big role here. Also it's important to not only do high calorie loss activities (like running), you do need to do weights/strength and have variety in the workout. I felt like the body bug distracted me from doing those things. I don't know if it's worth the money as you have to pay a fee every month. I got mine as a gift, not sure if I would have bought it for myself.

I hears it was a lot of money. how much is the monthly fee?

I just want to know on average how many calories I burn on a typical day, and also want to know if any of my Wii exercise games are close when they tell me how many calories I have burned. I can see myself using it for a month or two and then that would be it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious about them from seeing them on the show so I went to the site and was shocked to learn that the device itself is $250. It would be a nice handy item to have though and I like the idea but it's a bit much for my budget. I'll just have to rely on the machines to tell me how many calories I've burned or my Wii workout games.

The monthly service price depends on how many months you sign up for, the longer the contract the cheaper the price. I did a 6 month contract and it was $9.95/month.

Give us your review of it. How long have you had it? Do you wear it all the time? Is it worth it?

There are devices that compete with the Body Bug. The Wall Street Journal today gave a very thorough review of the $99 Fitbit. You wear it all the time, even sleeping. Currently there are no monthly charges for data, but there may be future enhancements and services that will require additional fees. Doesn't do the fancy networking and coaching stuff, but for just tracking what you're doing seems like a better option. Unfortunately, next shipments aren't available until January. http://www.fitbit.com/

Archived