Athens pickpockets

Tulsa Cats

We returned the end of November from the Grand Princess Med. Cruise and heard of 8 people who were victims of pickpocketers while on the train from the port to Athens. Be careful.

We just returned from the Royal Princess Holy Land Cruise. Loved it.

Just a word about Athens..... WEAR YOUR MONEY BELT.... I talked to two people who had been pickpocketed while in Athens. Both thought they were being careful but the man had a wallet in his front pocket and the woman had a lot of cash and credit cards in a small travel style zippered bag. Be careful and have a great trip.

We have thought about taking our whistles that we carry on our life jackets from our boat. If we wore them around our neck and blew on them when we felt we were being pickpocketed it may call attention to the predators. It sounds like a lot of tourists realize too late that they were being robbed.

We have thought about taking our whistles that we carry on our life jackets from our boat. If we wore them around our neck and blew on them when we felt we were being pickpocketed it may call attention to the predators. It sounds like a lot of tourists realize too late that they were being robbed.

Please don't remove the whistles from the life jackets! They're also gross because lots of people blow them.

You can buy inexpensive safety whistles locally before your trip if you want to use that approach.

So we spent a week of land travel in Athens in April

Since we were all over the city on this trip we took the Metro quite a bit.

Each of us carry a cross the body pack

we are savvy travelers and fly under the radar..or so we think

In our packs we keep snacks, map, sights to see info and nothing more than 20 euros

and our crappy Kodak 633 digital camera that I got one black friday for 89 USD

everything else is ON OUR BODY, not in the pack

As we stood waiting at Syntagma square station I could see these 2 clean cut 20 something greek guys assessing us.

I even said to my DH..we've been targeted... be on alert

DH say..if he takes my granola bar..he's toast!

It was busy on the Metro ..and we were seperated,

step one has taken place

step 2

My pickpocket positioned himself so he was facing me..

and actually apologized for bumping into my chest...

polite guy..

at the same time i could feel my daypack shift even though my hand was on it...

at this time most tourists would think it's from the motion of the train..NO! it's not

I look down and see his hand moving the zipper back..

I look at him and I say I have nothing you want

He gives me a deer in headlights look

He signals to his friend next stop and as I look at his friend next to my DH, I see DH holding out his hand like give it back to me...

and his pickpocket says...sir i didn't do it THIS TIME ...honest!

and then the doors open and they ran off

• 5 weeks later...
Yes, that is why a moneybelt or bra stash is the best option in any of the cities of Europe. No worries at all! :)

Everytime I latch on the "bra stash", I smile hoping I'm safe -- I quit traveling with the pickpockets get THAT brazen:D

The Athens metro line that runs between Pireaus and Athens has, for many years, been an infamous line for pickpockets. Some are gypsies and some are local Greeks. This problem has been reported in the local press and has long been a black-eye for Greece. Yet, the local police seem to have very little interest in protecting the tourists from these pickpocket gangs (one might wonder if some of the profits find their way into the pockets of some of the local officials). We have warned other CC posters about this problem on posts nearly every year. Keep in mind that pickpockets (and purse snatchers) are not unique to Athens but are also a problem in just about every major tourist center in Europe. In our travels we have foiled pickpocket attempts in Bologna, Italy; Istanbul and Arles, France. We have also witnessed several foiled attempts in Barcelona. This should not be a major issue for alert tourists who take reasonable precautions. Money belts, neck pouches, a rubber band around a wallet, a large diaper pin securing a purse zipper, etc etc. are just a few simple ideas. Its also smart not to carry excess cash or several credit cards. Leave most of your valuable stuff locked in your cabin safe and only take what you need for your day trip. Divide your money and keep it in 2 or more different locations and always be alert to your surroundings. Be especially careful in crowded areas and when you use ATM machines. Using common sense will go a long way to protecting your valuables and making your trip a great experience. I will add that we have traveled extensively for over 40 years and have managed to avoid losing anything to theives (knock on wood).

Hank

Archived