Advice for Canaries please

merkin

Hi all, this is my first post, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

Mrs Merkin and I want to cruise to the Canaries in May 2010.

We have found two cruises that we like, one on the 'Independence of the Seas' and the other on Fred.Olsen's 'Balmoral.'

Now, they are two completely different types of ship, could anyone give us their thoughts on what would suit us. We are 61 and 62 and are not old farts yet.

Our previous experiences are 'Black Watch' Mediterranean cruise some years ago and New york to Southampton on 'QM2' a couple of months ago.

Oh yes, and Chandris Lines 'Regina Prima' thirty five years ago.

Many thanks.

Hello 'Not yet an old fart' and 'Not yet an old fart's wife' and welcome to CC.

Always difficult to say what may or may not suit someone else but given that I am a 'free bus passer' myself I would suggest that if you enjoyed your sailings on 'Regina Prima', 'Black Watch' and 'QM2' and are looking to have more of the same you may be safer to go for the 'Balmoral' option.

'Independence' is a lovely ship but you may find it a bit overpowering, overcrowded and overrun with kids especially at the time you are thinking of going.

You may find the following links to CC member cruise reviews helpful:

Balmoral - http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=433

Independence - http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=414

Hello 'Not yet an old fart' and 'Not yet an old fart's wife' and welcome to CC.

Always difficult to say what may or may not suit someone else but given that I am a 'free bus passer' myself I would suggest that if you enjoyed your sailings on 'Regina Prima', 'Black Watch' and 'QM2' and are looking to have more of the same you may be safer to go for the 'Balmoral' option.

'Independence' is a lovely ship but you may find it a bit overpowering, overcrowded and overrun with kids especially at the time you are thinking of going.

You may find the following links to CC member cruise reviews helpful:

Balmoral - http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=433

Independence - http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=414

Actually, early May (if that's when they're talking about) they are likely to have far fewer kids onboard than during spring break (March/April) or starting in late May (when schools start getting out for the summer). We've taken early to mid May cruises on fairly large ships (2,500 pax) and have had fewer than 100 children onboard. OTOH, Independence is definitely a "kid magnet" ship, so there are likely to be more than there are on smaller ships, longer itineraries, or ships with fewer "wow" factors.

Either would probably be a good choice, but they would no doubt be entirely different experiences. It's hard to say what someone else will like best, even when we know a bit about their preferences, because there are so many factors involved.

beachchick

Hi all, this is my first post, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

Mrs Merkin and I want to cruise to the Canaries in May 2010.

We have found two cruises that we like, one on the 'Independence of the Seas' and the other on Fred.Olsen's 'Balmoral.'

Now, they are two completely different types of ship, could anyone give us their thoughts on what would suit us. We are 61 and 62 and are not old farts yet.

Our previous experiences are 'Black Watch' Mediterranean cruise some years ago and New york to Southampton on 'QM2' a couple of months ago.

Oh yes, and Chandris Lines 'Regina Prima' thirty five years ago.

Many thanks.

Can't really compare the Indy with the Balmoral, since I have not been on the Balmoral. I did enjoy the Indy's sister the Freedom a great deal, lots to do and did not seem the least bit crowded.

What attracted me to your post is the fact you sailed on the Regina Prima. That was the first ship I sailed on when very young. She was named the Panama at the time. Here is a link...

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/ Type in Regina Prima at the seach function:).

Unless you are planning to travel during Spring Bank Holiday week (last week in May) when Uk schools are off I think you would have a reasonable chance of Independence being fairly low on families.

Have never sailed on either Royal or Fred Olsen but would say that one is a big ship with lots of pax and lots to do and the other is smaller, older and far more refined.

Both cruises are in the first week in May, so we should avoid the school holidays. The itineraries are more or less the same for both.

Thanks for that link B48, that brought back a lot of memories. That was our first ever cruise, probably circa 1974. I remember the band was 'Menaleus (and the somethings.)

He made me get up and do the sirtaki.

I assume that you were a crew member?

Archived