How early does NY cruise terminal open???

mtwingcpa

I'm embarking from the New York cruise terminal aboard the Norwegian Dawn in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering how early the cruise terminal opens so that I can drop off my luggage (backpack) and then spend 2 - 3 hours seeing whatever in Manhattan before boarding the ship.

I'm embarking from the New York cruise terminal aboard the Norwegian Dawn in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering how early the cruise terminal opens so that I can drop off my luggage (backpack) and then spend 2 - 3 hours seeing whatever in Manhattan before boarding the ship.

It opens around 9-10. They will only take checked luggage directly to your room. Your hand carry luggage to your room can't be checked.

I've called the cruise terminal with this question once before.... you can drop off bags as early as 8am. As long as there is a cruise line luggage tag on your bag it can be any size, even a carryon or backpack.

Just make sure you remember to remove your cruise documents and passport from your carryon before handing it in ;)

I've called the cruise terminal with this question once before.... you can drop off bags as early as 8am. As long as there is a cruise line luggage tag on your bag it can be any size, even a carryon or backpack.

Just make sure you remember to remove your cruise documents and passport from your carryon before handing it in ;)

I think most people have a lot more than their passports and cruise tickets in their carryons that they don't want to risk being handled by the longshoremen and cruise ship baggage handlers...medications, cosmetics, jewelry, laptop computers, perhaps a change of clothing to used if your luggage is late in arriving at your cabin, etc. That is why these things are in a carryon rather than in your regular luggage. You're not going to see a bag you turn over to the porters until it arrives at your cabin door hours later.

I'd never recommend anyone hand over their carryons to the porters even if you have removed your documents.

I think most people have a lot more than their passports and cruise tickets in their carryons that they don't want to risk being handled by the longshoremen and cruise ship baggage handlers...medications, cosmetics, jewelry, laptop computers, perhaps a change of clothing to used if your luggage is late in arriving at your cabin, etc. That is why these things are in a carryon rather than in your regular luggage. You're not going to see a bag you turn over to the porters until it arrives at your cabin door hours later.

I'd never recommend anyone hand over their carryons to the porters even if you have removed your documents.

Valuables like jewelry and a camera yes, and they fit in my purse.... cosmetics and clothing haven't been necessary, because when I drop my luggage off that early it has always arrived at my cabin before I did.

Thanks, that just might work for me. If, on the other hand, I couldn't turn it in until closer to 11:00 AM, it wouldn't leave me enough time to do much before boarding. We'll see what happens!

I understand that whatever I drop off, I won't see again until that evening when it is (hopefully) delivered to my cabin. :-)

Archived