Hotels in Rio and Santiago

Toots

What hotels have you used in Rio de Janeiro and in Santiago recently? We'd appreciate hearing the pro's and con's. We're cruising out of Rio Feb. 26.

Thanks, CC's, you've been a great help in the past.

ALadyNCal - I tried to e-mail you via your profile, but it wouldn't take it. We've been in Santiago before but did not rent a car. We took the NCL bus from Valparaiso to Santiago, about a two-hour drive, driving through lovely vinyard country, with a narrated tour of the city and mountain top viewing area included. Then they dropped us at several hotels. This time we want to spend time in Valparaiso and Vina del Mar first, but have not made arrangements yet.

The Sheraton in Rio is horrible. "Private beach" filled with local kids. Long taxi ride (or shuttle when available) to anything you want to see. Very crappy neighborhood. The cruise lines use this hotel A LOT.

I was just in Rio on business a couple of weeks ago. My host booked myself and 4 other business associates at this hotel. I had stayed there before and knew what I was getting myself into. Three out of 5 people checked out within 4 hours and went into Copa. I do not like this hotel. You can do much better for less money.

We just stayed at the Marriott in Rio across from Copacabana Beach. It was very nice.

While in Santiago we stayed at the Sheraton in the San Cristobal Towers. Very nice.

Have fun...

We stayed at the Marina Palace Hotel in December '04 and found it to be a fine hotel with an excellent location. It's right on the beach in Leblon which is the high scale beach area. Restaurants and shopping were easily within walking distance. The food at the hotel restaurant was excellent at generally reasonable prices. The pool on the roof wasn't much.

Jim

We stayed at the Othon Palace on Cococabana about 6 weeks ago. I "won" two nights for $65 per night, at Skyauction.com. We thought it well worth twice that. Good buffet breakfast included. Excellent location, clean good sized room with seaview. Good rooftop pool. Seemed to be a lot of tour groups staying there, at least two German groups when we were there.

Hi,

I haven't been to Santiago, but I have visited Rio. I would highly recommend staying in a hotel on Ipanema or neighboring Leblon. When visiting last year, we stayed at the Praia Ipanema, which I really wouldn't recommend (room wasn't cleaned daily, linens were gross, etc.). I would second the Marina Palace Hotel or you may want to check out Hotel Caesar Park.

Have fun!

• 6 months later...

Can anyone provide info about these two hotels? We booked the Santiago Marriott for our one night pre-cruise on HAL's Rotterdam December 6-22 from Vp to Rio, and we're staying four nights post-cruise at the Rio Marriott over Christmas....

THANKS!!

(Also: Any tips on local tour/transfer companies: Santiago to VP, and then for our four days in Rio and transfer to airport?)

HI DrFun,

When I visit Chile in many times I used the services of EnaturChile.

They have a good rates and Vip services.

The Marriot Hotel, have a nice installations and conformable room and excellent view to the Andes Mountain.

The located hotel this in an exclusive district, near commercial centers and good restaurants.

Can anyone provide info about these two hotels? We booked the Santiago Marriott for our one night pre-cruise on HAL's Rotterdam December 6-22 from Vp to Rio, and we're staying four nights post-cruise at the Rio Marriott over Christmas....

THANKS!!

(Also: Any tips on local tour/transfer companies: Santiago to VP, and then for our four days in Rio and transfer to airport?)

Both of these Hotels are very nice.

While in Santiago we hired a cab for 2 days for sightseeing as well as a transfer to the ship. We paid less then $100 per day and had him all day. We found him outside the hotel and just negotiated a deal with him.

In Rio we took a cab from the ship to the Hotel. The Marriott is in a great location will lots to do within walking distance of the hotel. Lot's of nice restaurants and shopping. Just watch your wallet...lots of pickpocketers.

This is a great cruise.

Enjoy...

How kind of you to reply, Cally!

Did the taxi driver take you and your luggage from Santiago to VP for just $100 total? If so, that's great--as the the transfer companies want $99 per person (and it's me and my husband)....

Glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise--despite not wanting to do another HAL (if I read your posts correctly). We also chose this HAL cruise (rather than our preferred line, Celebrity) because of the itinerary, which included Rio. We're thinking of doing an excursion to Iguassu Falls when we debark in Rio (12/22-24, returning to Marriott Rio in time for Christmas Eve and Day there and some touring, before departing late on the 26th). Did you also use taxis in Rio for touring or a regular company? I've read so much about the thefts in Rio that I was worried about walking around on our own, which we like to do, but it sounds as if you were OK in the hotel area. Did you walk on the beach without problem?

Any recs for shore excursions during the cruise? When possible, we prefer small private tours rather than the ship's big groups.

Again, THANKS for anything you tell us. So few posters from that HAL cruise are on these boards. (On our last cruise last month we had a group of more than 50 CCers who were connecting in advance and who shared shorex and other events with us.)

Best,

Mary-Lou

• 2 months later...

We have used the Savoy Othon on three occasions. We first booked them through Sky Auction and have returned ever since.

Their front desk staff is very helpful. They are patient and will provide great directions. Ask for one of the refurbished rooms. The updated showers are roomy. The hotel is well situated 1 blook from the beach and on a main drag. The only downside is that the noise from the street can be a little annoying, but that is minor.

The rates modest and its an excellent value for what you spend. There is a site (I think Rio-tour) or you can just google Savoy Othon and book online. Enjoy Rio, we find it a vibrant, wonderful city.

Archived