leavnin in a week, what to bring from experienced cruisers please

Ninn

I agree with the door hanger! on the crown Princess it did not fit on any door but i hung it up in closet with hangers. That was the first time i took it and will not leave it behind again. We have teens and 2 rooms and often travel with family and friends, so what is always great for us is the small magnetic dry erase boards on the outside of door. it is great for mesg. like " at the pool or dinner at 6".

I always bring too many shoes and clothes!

I recommend a waterproof watch - especially if you'll be spending time at the beach or are participating in any excursions not sponsored by the ship and need to keep tabs on when you need to get back!!

Depending on where you go, bring anti bug spray/repellant and itch-relief cream after you get bitten anyway.

We just came home from a Mexican Riviera cruise and did the Outdoor Adventure at Puerto Vallarta. We used bug spray but still got bit in a lot of places...about 15 on my legs alone! My boyfriend who never gets mosquito bites here got bitten a lot too..and man are they itchy, even days later! Those Mexquitoes sure are fierce!

Also, if you're planning on washing clothes, bring a small bottle of liquid detergent. I manged to wash swim wear, a couple t shirts, yoga pants and tank tops. didnt feel i had enough clothes to send out for laundry service plus i found that rolling the freshly -washed clothes in a towel wrings out the water so well that drying time was really quick. The hangers in our closet slid off quite easily from the bar, after lifting the ends a little bit, so we threaded the shower line thru the hangers and it worked really well. :)

Zip Lock makes a huge bag (3 in a package) I always bring one and leave it on the floor in the closet to put my dirty laundry in. When you're ready to pack up, zip, sit on it to let the air out and you have all your dirty laundry together separate from other things in your suitcase. When you get home it's already for the washing machine! They are reusable, I put it back in my suitcase so I don't forget it next time.

I always drop a small penknife in my checked luggage. (Don't carry it onboard your plane!)

Once, I bought a trinket (of some sort) that was in one of those bullet-proof plastic shells, and for the life of me, I could not get it open!

I finally had to go down to the desk for help, and even they had to hunt about for something to open it with!

Oh...and if you smoke, an extra Bic lighter (again, in your checked luggage). You're out of luck if your's dies and you want to buy one shipboard!

I always bring over the door clothes hook' date=' I hang my towel, pjs and bathing suit up. Also, WalMart sells a clothes line that has hooks on each end to dry stuff on your balcony, it is about 3 feet long, very handy. Laura[/quote']

Some great suggestions here!

If you look closely at your shower area, you'll notice tht there is a retractable clothesline there, too...

I bring one of those super absorbant orange cloths to roll wet laundy in instead of using a towel, I feel they work better and dry very quickly.

I like the idea with the large zip lock for dirty clothes, I have to look for those. I always bring ziplocks in the gallon and sandwich size. On my last cruise we used the gallon sized for collecting sea glass in Bermuda!

I also bring post its, a highlighter, a few clothespins, a can aof room freshener, a travel febreze, a travel wrinkle release spray,

How about extra wire hangers that I can discard when cruise is over? Has that one been mentioned yet?

How about extra wire hangers that I can discard when cruise is over? Has that one been mentioned yet?

flowerchild had good suggestions. However I recommended wire hangers in a similar thread and was told that you can request extra from the stewards and they will supply them gladly. Who knew?

So save your luggage space on that one. :D

flowerchild had good suggestions. However I recommended wire hangers in a similar thread and was told that you can request extra from the stewards and they will supply them gladly. Who knew?

So save your luggage space on that one. :D

I asked my stweard for them and he could not find any at all...

Luckily, I don't buy a lot of clothes that need to be pressed and I roll my stuff to minimize wrinkles when I pack. I don't have a lot of stuff I need to hang so the hangers in the closet are sufficient.

Homemade wrinke release spray: 1 T fabric softener to 1 pint water.

I asked my stweard for them and he could not find any at all...

Luckily, I don't buy a lot of clothes that need to be pressed and I roll my stuff to minimize wrinkles when I pack. I don't have a lot of stuff I need to hang so the hangers in the closet are sufficient.

Homemade wrinke release spray: 1 T fabric softener to 1 pint water.

Go figure, I guess it would be a good idea to bring a couple then. I've never had to ask and just double up our clothes but that gets hanger marks on them. Thanks for the recipe tip. I will make some spray and remember to put it in a tiny bottle or put it in my checked luggage.

On which door do you hang the over-the-door shoe bag and will that door still close? I'm particularly interested in the Pearl, balcony cabin.

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards, KweesyCruiser! I've always hung it over the bathroom door but some will put it on a hanger although those are few and far between. lol

Hi...welcome....I'm with tjaker11...Over the door shoe holder..on the inside of the bathroom door. Yes, the door closes. The $3 pop up hamper fits right in the closet and keeps things neat. I also bring extra hangers and a huge smile, because I'm going on the Dawn to Bermuda!!!! Have fun:D

I have cruised a bunch, but I love reading this thread because I'm finding things I've never thought to bring! I think all my "must brings" have been covered...but I do bring an expandable plastic file thing (with an elastic closure) with all my printouts from CC and other web sites categorized by port. It also holds maps, confirmations, tickets, etc. and is how i organize whatever documents we need. It fits neatly into my carry on.

And yes, that big smile is important. So is a sense of humor. Glitches and rude people happen...it's just all part of the experience.

I finally decided to splurge and buy an over the door shoe holder and give this magic a try. So off to Target I go, I can't bring myself to give my money to Walmart...buy one and then head to the Dollar store to buy my big cup...guess what, they have a shoe holder! Its not as big as the one from Target but it cost almost 7 dollars less! It's also thinner as its made out of whatever that "fabric" is that they make one time use hospital gowns out of ....anyway, I figure this way if I don't like it or if I forget to pak it when getting off the ship I wont have a big investment!

I finally decided to splurge and buy an over the door shoe holder and give this magic a try. So off to Target I go, I can't bring myself to give my money to Walmart...buy one and then head to the Dollar store to buy my big cup...guess what, they have a shoe holder! Its not as big as the one from Target but it cost almost 7 dollars less! It's also thinner as its made out of whatever that "fabric" is that they make one time use hospital gowns out of ....anyway, I figure this way if I don't like it or if I forget to pak it when getting off the ship I wont have a big investment!

You would be surprised how many uses the door shoe hanger has. Just about all of our bedroom doors have one and most dont even hold shoes. We also have one on the outside of the garage door. I like the ones with the strechy net material. oh and dont get me started on duck tape!!! LOL

Archived