another tipping question

SheriAZ

When you give extra tips, how much do you give? I'm expecting good service and want to be prepared to tip in addition to the auto tip. I'm pretty clear on room service, but what about the others? Is $25 considered stingy? $50? It will be a 7 day cruise. I have no idea what is fair or generous. Thanks in advance

Edited to add: I'm thinking of the room steward, but I also need to consider our waiters. anyone else?

No additional tips are required other that the $10 per person per day. You really shouldn't feel as if you'll be a cheap person if you don't add additional tips.

:p

However,,,,

Having said that, IF service was above and beyond, I'll give an additional $20 to the head steward and $10 to his/her assistant.

Exceptional service in the main dining room? $20 the head waiter and $10 to assistant.

Maitre 'D? if they did anything for me $10 or $20 depending on what they did. They get nothing from me if all they did was come by on the last night with their hand out.

We've had situations where the ass't waiter MADE the meal---our waiter was awful. We tipped the recommended amount to the waiter, but really UPPED the ass't waiter's tip. You don't have to feel because you tip additional amounts to one, that you have to tip more to all---it should be based on the service you get.

We'll tip about $20 additional to those who deserve it...in addition to the recommended amounts....it doesn't happen all the time, tho! Only when they have gone "above and beyond" for us.

The recommended amounts are ample for expected service.

My take is that most people tip too much.

The only time I ever tip a steward is when they did things in addition to the normal tasks ie. getting ice to keep my beer cold etc.

I do tip my favorite drink runner/server that takes care of me by the pool and in the bar. I just throw him and additional $10-$20 a few times during the week as I see fit.

It would be helpful to know which line you are cruising and if you have traditional dining (set time) or flexible. With flexible, your servers would be different every night so it might be hard to tip everyone every time.

We will typically tip our cabin steward about $25-25 for the week. We are not hard to please or high maintenance. If our cabin is clean, plenty of clean towels, and a towel animal or two for DS, we're good to go. Ice in an ice bucket if they do that is great. If they can keep DH in ice the entire cruise, that's an extra $25.

We'll give our room steward $20 (or $20 each, if there are two) at the end of the week (including paying whatever the autotips are..) And then an occasional $5 - $10 for a bar server, if they've gone "beyond the call of duty". But we're pretty low maintenance, don't demand (or ask) much, and feel that the autotip is generally sufficient.

Regarding Cabin Stewards. If I have even the usual good service, the stewards attitude counts for me also. I will leave a tip at the end of the cruise, however, this time I'm making an experimental exception. With 10 of us cruising, our cabin mates have had to be juggled to accommodate for having one adult in each cabin. Myself, my youngest son and my four grandsons have cabins that will be serviced by the same attendant. I plan on having a chat with the attendant and extending a tip at the first meeting, explaining that I am the Father/Grandfather of the group and as the other 5 are first time cruisers, I will take responsibility for them if he or she has any questions, suggestions or problems. I will do this with a smile and a wink. I don't think that we will encounter any problems on either side and ??? Will be interesting methinks. Harry :cool:

Archived