Help from recent Freedom of the Seas Cruisers please...

TxStacey

I am about to book my airfare roudtrip from Dallas to MCO for my Febraury cruise on FOS..can I make a 10:40 a.m. departure from MCO after my cruise? I have sailed out of Port Canveral on 2 other occasions but have never tried to depart so early. I am trying to get back to Texas in order to make an afternoon meeting if possible.. I guess my question is, what time is the ship normally cleared for early flight passengers? Anyone that has had a direct experience with this that can give me some advice would be greatly appreciated! Happy Sailing!

If you are trying that, make sure you're using express departure. I was on the FOS 3 weeks ago. There were people doing express departure by 6:30 am. So it's do-able I guess.

Do you know what the process is to get express departure? Do I request it at the purser's desk or do I need to arrange it with RCCL beforehand?

I just got off FOS two days ago. Express departure started at 6:30 till around 7:00. You have to carry your own bags which can be difficult if you have a family. We are Diamond members so we had the earliest luggage tags (Biege). We departed the ship around 7:00AM. However, you have to keep in mind you have to go through customs and there is an hour drive to the airport. By the time we got off the ship and out of the cruise port is was around 8:00AM. We had three ships in port so getting out was tough. If you are flying and trying to make this flight you will need to have a transport ready. RCCL offers shuttle to the airport however, it is a bus that waits until it is completely full. We have waited up to an hour before the bus filled.

I personally would be a nervous wreck trying to make that early of a flight but it might be possible.

Thanks Catherine..I will be a nervous wreck :)..I would not normally try to make an early flight but I just found out about an important meeting on Sunday afternnoon pertaining to my senior daughter that I would like to make..It sounds like a private shuttle is the way to go..I am amazed at how expensive rental cars have gotten..just checed rates and YIKES!

I just got off FOS two days ago. Express departure started at 6:30 till around 7:00. You have to carry your own bags which can be difficult if you have a family. We are Diamond members so we had the earliest luggage tags (Biege). We departed the ship around 7:00AM. However, you have to keep in mind you have to go through customs and there is an hour drive to the airport. By the time we got off the ship and out of the cruise port is was around 8:00AM. We had three ships in port so getting out was tough. If you are flying and trying to make this flight you will need to have a transport ready. RCCL offers shuttle to the airport however, it is a bus that waits until it is completely full. We have waited up to an hour before the bus filled.

I personally would be a nervous wreck trying to make that early of a flight but it might be possible.

My family will be sailing FOS in a few weeks. After much thought, we opted for the CRRL shuttle from the port back to Orlando Airport. There is one condition necessary to be able to book this shuttle - they will NOT take any passengers sailing before 12:30pm. Consequently and since your flight is before this, you will need to make otehr arrangements to make your flight.

Check Budget ... We got it cheaper than the private shuttle. The van was waiting for us when we got off. Customs was really a breeze.

Getting a rental car will still take more time as the shuttle will have to pick you up and take you to the car rental agency and then once there you will have to take care of the paperwork. Once you reach the airport you would have to again drop off the car, get a shuttle to the office, and then complete more paperwork.

Arranged transportation with a shuttle service might still be the quickest way to go.

Getting a rental car will still take more time as the shuttle will have to pick you up and take you to the car rental agency and then once there you will have to take care of the paperwork. Once you reach the airport you would have to again drop off the car, get a shuttle to the office, and then complete more paperwork.

Arranged transportation with a shuttle service might still be the quickest way to go.

This is what I am thinking Catherine..can anyone recommend a shuttle service that might pick up as early as 8:00..I know from past experience, the car rental process can take a very long time, especially when there are 100's of passengers returning to the airport and I don't want to chance it..

That's a very tight plan ... and you are counting on everything being perfect.

We've sailed through Port Canaveral 7 times now, and 5 out of 7 times everything has run smoothly. But once Customs held us up and no one left the ship before 8 am, and another time there were crew members departing which meant no one got off the ship til almost 8:30.

I personally would not risk it, and we fly a LOT and are very comfortable with tight connections. But DH also flies through Orlando at least twice a week, so we know that there can be long lines at security especially on Sundays (all those people leaving the theme parks at the end of a holiday week). It's better than it was a year ago, but MCO is still a busy airport.

Also remember that there are fewer planes flying these days, and those that are scheduled are full. If you miss your flight you could have a long wait. If you decide to take the risk and try for this very early flight, then my suggestion would be to have a back-up person available to go to this important meeting.

Just trying to help you avoid some stress!!

EDIT to add --- the only way I would attempt this is with a pre-arranged private shuttle. A rental car will add a good half an hour to each end.

That's a very tight plan ... and you are counting on everything being perfect.

We've sailed through Port Canaveral 7 times now, and 5 out of 7 times everything has run smoothly. But once Customs held us up and no one left the ship before 8 am, and another time there were crew members departing which meant no one got off the ship til almost 8:30.

I personally would not risk it, and we fly a LOT and are very comfortable with tight connections. But DH also flies through Orlando at least twice a week, so we know that there can be long lines at security especially on Sundays (all those people leaving the theme parks at the end of a holiday week). It's better than it was a year ago, but MCO is still a busy airport.

Also remember that there are fewer planes flying these days, and those that are scheduled are full. If you miss your flight you could have a long wait. If you decide to take the risk and try for this very early flight, then my suggestion would be to have a back-up person available to go to this important meeting.

Just trying to help you avoid some stress!!

EDIT to add --- the only way I would attempt this is with a pre-arranged private shuttle. A rental car will add a good half an hour to each end.

Thanks Waterbaby...I will have a backup plan for the meeting but at this point it is a risk I am willing to take..but the only way I will do it is if I can get a private shuttle to the airport..don't want to deal with the rental car situation or want to wait for a shuttle to fill up...We have used Cocoa Beach Shuttle before to take us from the Raddisson to the port.. I will give them a call..

We were on the 4th Oct sailing we used Cocoa Beach shuttle they were very good if you mention Cruise Critic they give you a discount

Jenrie..did you use them for an early flight? I am just wondering how early they will pick up..anyone eles out there use a shuttle service for an early pick up?

Jenrie..did you use them for an early flight? I am just wondering how early they will pick up..anyone eles out there use a shuttle service for an early pick up?

We didn't have an early flight but they do ask when booking what time your flight is so I don't think there would be a problem.

Archived