Name change questions

tdh8359

I currently sail in Jan 2010 on Carnival Ecstasy with my wife, my mom and daughter also booked on this cruise, the problem we have is mom is going to have to stay home with my dad during cancer treatment, the final payment is due in Nov 2009 (mom was paying for my daughter), my daughter still wants to go with her boyfriend, my question is what is the best way to handle this situation with her travel agent? Do you change the name along with credit card info before the final payment or wait later, do a name change plus penalty and just pay mom back or what? I probably didn’t make myself clear but did the best I could.

I would contact that TA and explain the situation. There shouldn't be a problem changing the passenger name and the sooner you make the change...the better.

There is sometimes a small fee for a name change. I would recommend making these changes asap before final payment so you don't run into a situation where they won't refund the mom's portion (because it's after final payment). I wasn't sure if your mom was still paying for the daughter (and her boyfriend??) or are they now paying their own fare?

Hope that helps. Good luck.:)

There are several variables here...you might best post on the Carnival board. Did you book Early Saver? If so, you can't change out people. Are your daughter and boyfriend both over 21? If not, you or your wife will have to move (on paper) into that cabin...EM

I would contact that TA and explain the situation. There shouldn't be a problem changing the passenger name and the sooner you make the change...the better.

There is sometimes a small fee for a name change. I would recommend making these changes asap before final payment so you don't run into a situation where they won't refund the mom's portion (because it's after final payment). I wasn't sure if your mom was still paying for the daughter (and her boyfriend??) or are they now paying their own fare?

Hope that helps. Good luck.:)

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking mom will still pay for my daughter but her boyfriend / me will have to come up with the difference. I'm not sure how they would handle putting a different credit card on for the difference for the boyfriend.

There are several variables here...you might best post on the Carnival board. Did you book Early Saver? If so, you can't change out people. Are your daughter and boyfriend both over 21? If not, you or your wife will have to move (on paper) into that cabin...EM

I'm not sure if I booked early saver or not. Both are over 21 so no problems there. If I did book early saver my daughter could sail by herself couldn't she. I guess price would be the same as if the room had 2 people in it?

How did this turn out for you, because I now have a similiar issued. DD's boyfriend will probably not be going with and she wants a friend to go instead.... Please let me know how it worked out for you, so I know before I call my TA.

Thanks!

Sheesh - teenagers!!!!(Personally I'm thrilled he's not going.....)

Robin

How did this turn out for you, because I now have a similiar issued. DD's boyfriend will probably not be going with and she wants a friend to go instead.... Please let me know how it worked out for you, so I know before I call my TA.

Thanks!

Robin

Haven't called TA yet, plans are changing daily, dad might not go thru chemo & radiation. Final payment is not due until Nov 19th so I'll probably wait til last minute to contact TA.

Thanks!

Robin

Dont wait til the final payment-- get the name change in now. (its free til then)

I dont think I ever would take a teens boyfriend or girlfriend on the ship- too many varibles with that- taking along a same sex friend is one thing--

Don’t make the name change until you know for sure who is going. If your mom cancels and she bought the cruise lines insurance that won’t be refunded and the boyfriend will have to pay for more insurance.

Princess may waive the name change fee once but they won’t do it twice. Also they may not reinstate her insurance and you’ll have to purchase it again.

Your travel agent may charge you a change fee everytime the booking has to be changed.

You can change the credit card information for the onboard account when you print the e-docs or even when you check in at the pier.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

Crystal – Serenity, December 10, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Don’t make the name change until you know for sure who is going. If your mom cancels and she bought the cruise lines insurance that won’t be refunded and the boyfriend will have to pay for more insurance.

Princess may waive the name change fee once but they won’t do it twice. Also they may not reinstate her insurance and you’ll have to purchase it again.

Your travel agent may charge you a change fee everytime the booking has to be changed.

You can change the credit card information for the onboard account when you print the e-docs or even when you check in at the pier.

Aunty Pat

Thanks Aunty, this is kinda what I was thinking, waiting until the last minute before final payment to make any change. If mom does still want to pay for my daughter I'm thinking changing the credit card info for the final payment, is that possible? Or will the entire charge have to be re-applied to a different card?

Thanks Aunty, this is kinda what I was thinking, waiting until the last minute before final payment to make any change. If mom does still want to pay for my daughter I'm thinking changing the credit card info for the final payment, is that possible? Or will the entire charge have to be re-applied to a different card?

what we did for my mom-- she was supposed to be on the Pride on Sept 6th but we had to cancel her on the 4th (insurance with pre existing conditons was necessary for her to do it this way)

My SIL did a name change for 50 bucks.

Thats all she had to pay-- Mom got her money back from the insurance company and SIL got to cruise for 50 bucks.

Archived