Selecting Your Time Dining causes you to have to prepay gratuities? True or Not?

highbridge5

When I talked to my TA about changing my dining selection to Your Time dining, she warned me that this would mean that Carnival would now charge me for all the automatic gratuities ($10 by 7 days by 7 of us) at the time that I changed the selection on my reservation. I don't have a problem with paying the tip, I just have a certain budget and paying for the tip was in the cruise budget, not this month's budget.

Has this been anyone else's experience?

I understand that if you decide that your seating doesn't work for you,

you can ask to switch to Your Time dining once you are on board. Obviously, this is a one-time deal and I would not expect them to change

it every day. I'm inclined to keep my late dining and then see how it works and then switch if I need to.

Has anyone switched dining selections and how painful was it?

We scheduled Anytime or Your Time Dining for our upcoming cruise (and CANNOT wait for that BTW), and our Carnival PVP did not mention having to prepay gratuities. I don't think your TA is giving you accurate information about that.

I was on Elation last week and assigned late dining. Went to the Maite' D upon boarding and nicely asked to be changed to anytime. The person in front of me was so rude to him, shouting and ranting and raving about stuff the maitre' D didn't have control over, his travel agent had screwed up.

When I expressed sympathy for having to deal with them, he graciously changed us to anytime. Remember to tip your Maitre' D.

We just made final payment for our Dream cruise and we have Anytime Dining and did not have to pre-pay. We also have the same thing booked with Royal Caribbean and were originally told we had to pre-pay and it wasn't a problem. Then about 4-5 weeks ago, our TA called to tell us that we no longer had to pre-pay tips for Freedom of the Seas.

My guess is that RCI charged the pre-pay and others didn't and then others decided to and realized RCI didn't so poof gone!!! I know that other countries require pre-paid tips so the employees get tipped, but I guess I don't understand why all tips would have to be pre-paid by choosing this dining.

I could understand pre-paying dining room tips, but what does the cabin steward have to do with dining? Anyway, we always tip at least the minimum, and mostly tip over, so it's not a big deal to us. Enjoy!

Thank you everyone. It would appear that

a) like me, some were told to prepay (both on Carnival and RCL)

b) most people were not asked to prepay (both on Carnival and RCL)

c) switching during the cruise should be possible if requested nicely

(Of course, many things are possible if requested nicely - or at least that

is what I try to get my kids to remember about 10 times a day :D)

hb5

Archived