Art auction on Mariner?

And don't forget the inch of "gold." :D

Or anything else sold on a ship (any ship).

If you are spending any amount of money you would regret losing, you'd better be sure you know your product and the market. I don't know art, so I wouldn't spend much there. On our last cruise, I was up on cameras having just purchased a new one. The ship price for the same camera was $50-100 more than I had paid for the exact same model about two months earlier. About a year ago the ship we were on was having a "special" on a particular model Canon point and shoot camera. Out of curiosity, I wrote down the model number to check after the cruise and found the "special" price to be somewhat higher than the off the shelf price at home.

The point is, whether it is art, gold, cameras, jewelry, watches, a book, or gummy bears, if it is something you plan to use while traveling, and you don't mind paying 15-20% extra to have it on the trip -- go for it. If you want a bargain, do your homework. If you haven't dome your homwwork in advance, and don't have the time or resources to do your homework on board -- pass. The odds of getting a bargain on an uninformed purchase are slim.

The funny thing is I never realized that sparkling wine is not considered to be "champagne" unless it is from that region of France until it was taught to me at a Royal Caribbean wine tasting event. :cool:

Gonzo70,

Yes, well the producers of French Champagne don't take it lightly. We here in America use the term Champagne pretty freely, when it is usually California Sparkling wine people are drinking.

BTW, for those that do like real Champagne, this terrible economy of ours is providing an excellent time to buy the better wines overall. I am amazed at some of the discounting going on. Guess when people tighten their belts they start drinking a less expensive wine. But in reality, for those that can, it is a great time to buy the better stuff!

Colleen

Okay going on 40 RCI cruises and NEVER been to a Park West auction. :)

I have heard horror stories of people buying xerox copies of a Picasso for an inflated price. :eek:

Sorry, I was in the retail art business years ago and know what goes on. :(

Gonzo, I respect your posts but this time you are wrong.

We have taken home framed, limited edition art works for under $100. The frames alone would cost more than that.

I also dispute your contention that Park West is "well known to be con artists." One article in the New York Obama Times does not prove anything.

Again, can you please show proof that a framed Alexander Chen limited edition lithograph for $100 is a product of a con artist?[/quote]

Didn't really take very long to find a Chen limited edition for sale on Ubid.com for $1, $99 frame extra:D!

Alexander Chen's "On A Clear Day"! Limited Edition LithographNumbered and Hand Signed w/Certificate of Authenticity!

Price: $1Bid to Win: $1Available: 1Bids: 0Closing: 3d 23h 3m addToCartTag.jpg

There have been MANY news articles about the problems associated with Park West LONG before anyone even heard of Obama! Do the research.....and if you still enjoy buying artwork as part of your recreational cruise experience then do it!

But do not assume that they are totally legit or ethical...

Archived