Internet service on Navigator

chipsahoy

It should work fine -- just remember that you will be paying the same amount for minutes as those using Regent's computers.

In some areas the connection could be slow or non-existent. I am thinking specifically of Alaska where we lost the signal for several hours at a time. This is not unusual -- you just need to be prepared for slow and spotty service when you are at sea.

Not all suites are "hot". In 2008 we could not get internet service in our Deck 8 suite. I think it was 849 - near the central elevators. However, there was a very comfortable seating area around the central elevators on deck 8 that had great connections. The staff added some extra small tables and chairs for those of us with laptops had plenty of space. So I think it varies by suite...when I asked about the problem we had, the computer tech said that some suites didn't have very good connections.

Maybe they will upgrade the routers when the Navigator is in dry dock!

Last February, in Suite 827, the wireless signal strength was low. Sometimes, it was OK and I could use the computer, and at other times I could not make a reliable connection. Since I usually was using the computer early in the morning, I used it from the Navigator lounge where there was good coffee and cappuccino.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

We were in 952 (waaaaay back of the ship - yes there was vibration!) and the only trouble I had with the internet (I used it A LOT) was with speed. I don`t think that has anything to do with location. I also used the internet a lot on the balcony and it worked there the same as in the room.

• 2 weeks later...

leese...slightly off topic but, please tell me more about this vibration. Was it annoying? Was it constant? Would you avoid this deck/cabin in the future because of it?

What about noise from above? Below?

I am almost booked into cabin 945 so your opinion would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I need to revise my previous post. Your internet access on any ship depends upon where you are. Alaska, for instance, has a few places where there is no internet service available to anyone. The Caribbean has good internet service.

Previously, any suite higher than 940 would feel the vibration. However, the Navigator is currently in a one month dry dock (a long for in terms of dry docks). . . . one of the things being done is to diminish the aft vibration. No one will know if it was successful until the Navigator sails again in mid-December.

The Navigator is a wonderful ship (not so much for children). I expect it to be even better after dry dock. Many repeat passengers are waiting to hear about the upgrades and vibration "fix".

I need to revise my previous post. . .

The Navigator is a wonderful ship (not so much for children). . . .

I disagree completly and would encourage anyone who can afford to treat their children or grandchildren to the gift of travel in foreign lands, given the proper preperation, to do so. And be sure to find Travelcat and introduce your children/grandchildren to her. She would so like to have dinner with them!

I disagree completly and would encourage anyone who can afford to treat their children or grandchildren to the gift of travel in foreign lands, given the proper preperation, to do so. And be sure to find Travelcat and introduce your children/grandchildren to her. She would so like to have dinner with them!

Give it a rest Rally. This is about the ship and Regent -- not about your children or grandchildren. Most Regent loyalists are supportive of Regent filling their ships to their advertised level. You are entitled to your opinion -- however, you are in the minority.

Anyone know if the Navigator dry dock improvements include upgrading its internet access speed. This could open the door for services like Skype and significantly reduce our calling charges!

I wouldn't get your hopes up, the high latency nature of the internet connection is going to make VOIP services like Skype pretty much unusable even if the speed was improved.

I like to think that the slow, unreliable nature of ship-based internet services is just a reminder that we need to get used to disconnecting from the net at certain times in our life and cruising is a great time to do that!

I've managed to disconnect completely on the last two cruises and the world did manage without me for that space of time :)

I agree with you Mark, however, for a lot of reasons some of us have to stay "connected" even on vacation. We were on deck 7 in the Med this summer and my laptop worked fairly well for vpn connection for MS Office. Wasn't connected alot but while I was it seemed ok. No Skype allowed on the company laptop, nor streaming etc.

Lots of young people on our cruise and they seemed to have a good time.

The Nav Vibes did not bother us. If they fix the ship, what will we talk about???

I agree with you Mark, however, for a lot of reasons some of us have to stay "connected" even on vacation.

I understand.

I think the number who really 'have to' vs those who feel they have to is quite small though.

I view these relatively short periods away as good tests of business continuity, succession planning etc. but I know that not everyone is comfortable cutting off like that or for a few it really isn't possible.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, the high latency nature of the internet connection is going to make VOIP services like Skype pretty much unusable even if the speed was improved.

I like to think that the slow, unreliable nature of ship-based internet services is just a reminder that we need to get used to disconnecting from the net at certain times in our life and cruising is a great time to do that!

I've managed to disconnect completely on the last two cruises and the world did manage without me for that space of time :)

Mark, I completely agree with your "disconnect" objectives but I also agree with egret's "having to stay connected" observations...

One question:

Wouldn't the high latency communication for Skype also be true for any voice communication on a cruise (i.e., except in port, wouldn't all voice communication be via satellite and consequently incur the increased latency inherent in satellite communications?

Give it a rest Rally. This is about the ship and Regent -- not about your children or grandchildren. Most Regent loyalists are supportive of Regent filling their ships to their advertised level. You are entitled to your opinion -- however, you are in the minority.

Maybe he is not the only one that should "give it a rest".

Travelcagt, I believe it was you who changed the subject of this thread from internet to your soapbox re children on the Navigator. Many of us have traveled with children and grandchildren during school holidays and had wonderful times.

As far as the internet is concerned, there is indeed much rrom for improvement. I, however, don't care too much, as I was busy playing with my grandchildren.

And it is definitely time for you to stop whining to Host Dan.

Travelcagt, I believe it was you who changed the subject of this thread from internet to your soapbox re children on the Navigator. Many of us have traveled with children and grandchildren during school holidays and had wonderful times.

As far as the internet is concerned, there is indeed much rrom for improvement. I, however, don't care too much, as I was busy playing with my grandchildren.

And it is definitely time for you to stop whining to Host Dan.

You are right on one point. Another thread was discussing the size of the Navigator and what will happen next summer if it is over capacity as it was last summer. For one sentence I was off topic (compared to you, Rally and Goofyisme who keep on and on and on -- acting as if I am the only person with this viewpont).

We are all given the right by CruiseCritic to post our opinions and feelings about cruising related issues. If you feel the Navigator is fine for chidren -- say so. If I feel it is not, I too, will post. No has the right to criticize, belittle or act rudely towards another poster. If CC Hosts have cut posts, you may want to rethink the posts of yours that may have been cut. Being off subject is rude to the the person who began the thread (and I'm not talking about 3 words being off topic).

No one tells CruiseCritic what to do. This is a professional organization that keeps their hundreds of thousands of posts on point.

Even though Host Dan is on vacation, CC's rules do not change. No harassment and perhaps you could stay on topic and allow this thread to continue.

I did nothing that you did not do first. If you want to threaten people then you should first follow the rules yourself. Like staying on topic.

What harrassment did I do that you did not first do to Rally.

Children were not the topic of this thread but you bring it up once again ad nauseum.

So seems either we both broke the rules or we both didn't.

You just seem to feel a need to threaten people with being reported.

I did nothing that you did not do first. If you want to threaten people then you should first follow the rules yourself. Like staying on topic.

What harrassment did I do that you did not first do to Rally.

Children were not the topic of this thread but you bring it up once again ad nauseum.

So seems either we both broke the rules or we both didn't.

You just seem to feel a need to threaten people with being reported.

This is not a game (he did it first - you did it first, etc.:rolleyes:. I suggest you re-read the thread. Threaten people? Stick to cruising -- not accusing people of what they allegedly did or said. I highly suggest that you block my posts if they are upsetting. Every time questions are asked, mainly by people new to CC, many of us give the same answers "ad nauseum". We don't get tired of trying to help newbies by repeating ourselves. Once they read all the answers on their thread, they can then make a decision on whether or not to book a cruise. However, when they see posts attacking one another, it is embarassing to even be a member of CC. I am not attacking you, belittling you, and am certainly not threatening you. Why is it so difficult to get it across that you do not have to agree with me? All of this nonsense will stop when posters stop "naming" posters that they disagree with.

I have a flight to catch to Cape Town to join up with the Voyager and will check CC along the way. Please -- whoever wants the last word here -- go for it.

This is not a game (he did it first - you did it first, etc.:rolleyes:. I suggest you re-read the thread. Threaten people? Stick to cruising -- not accusing people of what they allegedly did or said. I highly suggest that you block my posts if they are upsetting. Every time questions are asked, mainly by people new to CC, many of us give the same answers "ad nauseum". We don't get tired of trying to help newbies by repeating ourselves. Once they read all the answers on their thread, they can then make a decision on whether or not to book a cruise. However, when they see posts attacking one another, it is embarassing to even be a member of CC. I am not attacking you, belittling you, and am certainly not threatening you. Why is it so difficult to get it across that you do not have to agree with me? All of this nonsense will stop when posters stop "naming" posters that they disagree with.

I have a flight to catch to Cape Town to join up with the Voyager and will check CC along the way. Please -- whoever wants the last word here -- go for it.

Nice sidestep on the off topic complaint. I am however confused as to why when I say "give it a rest" is an attack and when you say "give it a rest" it is perfectly ok. Please explain the difference in the rules that I have to follow and that you get to follow.

I am sorry that I asked about the vibration because that was off topic. I did not feel comfortable starting a new thread on the subject as I am an extreme newbie on this board. I appreciate the response I received (Travelcat2) and would have written to leese directly but I could not find a private message facility on this board. Did I miss it?

On the subject of internet access onboard, I will be bringing my Mac, even if I cannot use it for internet access, so I can write a shipboard diary. But should I be able to Skype, even if it is from a port, I would LOVE to be able to do that with my young children who will be staying home with Grandma. Anybody know about access in Sitka or Ketchikan or Juneau?

Archived