Internet service on Navigator

chipsahoy

I am sorry that I asked about the vibration because that was off topic. I did not feel comfortable starting a new thread on the subject as I am an extreme newbie on this board. I appreciate the response I received (Travelcat2) and would have written to leese directly but I could not find a private message facility on this board. Did I miss it?

On the subject of internet access onboard, I will be bringing my Mac, even if I cannot use it for internet access, so I can write a shipboard diary. But should I be able to Skype, even if it is from a port, I would LOVE to be able to do that with my young children who will be staying home with Grandma. Anybody know about access in Sitka or Ketchikan or Juneau?

Please don't apologize about asking about the vibration. It was at least related to the Navigator;)

As I recall, internet access was intermittent while sailing but worked fine at the different ports. It will be up enough for you to write your shipboard diary.

We'll be doing the first Navigator Alaska sailing of the season next year. I will be posting live from the ship and will be able to be more specific about the "dead zones" as well as the vibration. We're currently on our way to Cape Town for an Atlantic crossing on the Voyager and will be posting from there as well (not a lot -- this will be a busy cruise -- dance lessons -- wine tasting, etc.)

Have you joined (or started) a Roll Call for your cruise? Check the CC "Roll Call" section. It's a great place to meet others that will be sailing with you.

You may already have it in hand, but if not, do write your journal to "Word" or some such program in your leisure time and then when the internet is "up" it is a quick job to copy and paste and send it. I found it so frustrating to lose my material when pushing "send" only to find the connection had gone down.

You may already have it in hand, but if not, do write your journal to "Word" or some such program in your leisure time and then when the internet is "up" it is a quick job to copy and paste and send it. I found it so frustrating to lose my material when pushing "send" only to find the connection had gone down.

On my Mac it will be done in text edit and then copy paste to facebook and CC and probably a few other places!

Thanks!

Colomom, no worries about using you Mac laptop for Internet access - just turn on Airport and you should pick up the signal, which can be variable depending on your location on the ship. Based on my experience, if you plan to do much posting, emailing etc. you are better off buying a big bundle of minutes, as the pay as you go plan gets very costly quickly due to slowness of the connection (which is constant regardless of your location on the ship).

Internet & Wi-Fi: Seven Seas Voyager, Mariner and Navigator and Paul Gauguin offer Internet access in the internet cafe and on guests' laptops in public areas or suites. In-cabin access is available on Voyager, Mariner and Navigator. CruiseEmailTM service is available for guests who do not have their own e-mail or cannot access their e-mail provider, which costs an additional charge of $3.95 per outgoing e-mail.

Fees & Equipment: Plan A is a pay-as-you-go at a rate of 35 cents per minute. Plan B you can purchase 100 minutes for $25 and Plan C includes 250 minutes for $50. There is also a one-time activation fee of $3.95.

Cell Phones: GSM and CDMA roaming access is available aboard Seven Seas Voyager, Mariner and Navigator. Charges apply.

(from: http://information.travel.aol.com/article/cruise/_a/internet-cafes-at-sea/20071011105909990001) *not sure how recently page was updated*

Cruise Critic has an article here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=45 which also mentions the 25 cents per minute charge but my TA called RSSC directly to inquire about access charges and they said they did not up-to-date info available and to check back after the ship gets out of dry dock. Don't ask me why...

Thanks so much this is very helpful information

Internet & Wi-Fi: Seven Seas Voyager, Mariner and Navigator and Paul Gauguin offer Internet access in the internet cafe and on guests' laptops in public areas or suites. In-cabin access is available on Voyager, Mariner and Navigator. CruiseEmailTM service is available for guests who do not have their own e-mail or cannot access their e-mail provider, which costs an additional charge of $3.95 per outgoing e-mail.

Fees & Equipment: Plan A is a pay-as-you-go at a rate of 35 cents per minute. Plan B you can purchase 100 minutes for $25 and Plan C includes 250 minutes for $50. There is also a one-time activation fee of $3.95.

Cell Phones: GSM and CDMA roaming access is available aboard Seven Seas Voyager, Mariner and Navigator. Charges apply.

(from: http://information.travel.aol.com/article/cruise/_a/internet-cafes-at-sea/20071011105909990001) *not sure how recently page was updated*

Cruise Critic has an article here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=45 which also mentions the 25 cents per minute charge but my TA called RSSC directly to inquire about access charges and they said they did not up-to-date info available and to check back after the ship gets out of dry dock. Don't ask me why...

Thanks so much this is very helpful information

The websites posted by colomom appear to be out-of-date. On our Mariner cruise in September, the pay as you go rate was $0.55 per minute. There was a package of 250 minutes for $62.50 ($0.25 per minute) and a package of 100 minutes for $35.00 ($0.35 per minute). These were also the rates on our Mariner cruise in November 2008.

Dave

Well that made me feel bad so...

I called them direct and asked for an email, this is what I received:

Please note that charges for internet access on board RSSC ships has recently changed. Pricing subject to change.

The revised pricing is as follows:

A La Carte - $0.75 per minute

100 Minute Package - $0.45 per minute, i.e. $45

250 Minute Package - $0.35 per minute, i.e. $87.50

800 Minute Package - $0.25 per minute, i.e. $200

Dayla Miller │ Retail Sales Agent

Regent Seven Seas Cruises │ 11340 Blondo Street, Omaha, NE 68164

tel: 800.285.1835 (ext. 0205) │ fax: 402.493 0321 │ http://www.RSSC.com

Seems they adjust the rates frequently...

Dayla assured me that this was the most up-to-date info available for all the ships but she did stress that they were "subject to change".

ETA: you should also consider that data transmission speed can be affected by many different things and on one day your email might get sent in 30 seconds and on another day it could take minutes, especially if you are sending large packets of info (like pictures). That could also affect how much you pay.

Verizon offers free wi-fi hotspots here:

JNU - Juneau International Airport (Airport)

1873 Shell Simmons Dr

Juneau,Alaska 99801-9375

Aurora Harbor (Marina)

155 S Seward St

Juneau,Alaska 99801-1332

Douglas Small Boat Harbor

Douglas Hwy

Juneau,Alaska 99801

Harris Harbor (Marina)

1226 Harbor Way

Juneau,Alaska 99801-1543

Clover Pass Resort (Hotel)

708 N Point Higgins Rd

Ketchikan,Alaska 99901-9431

Also this site has many free wi-fi hotspots listed: http://www.openwifispots.com/state_free_wifi_wireless_hotspot_Alaska_AK.aspx

So with a internet capable phone that has internet access and bluetooth to upload the pics....

The revised pricing is as follows:

A La Carte - $0.75 per minute

100 Minute Package - $0.45 per minute, i.e. $45

250 Minute Package - $0.35 per minute, i.e. $87.50

800 Minute Package - $0.25 per minute, i.e. $200

Verizon offers free wi-fi hotspots here:

JNU - Juneau International Airport (Airport)

1873 Shell Simmons Dr

Juneau,Alaska 99801-9375

Aurora Harbor (Marina)

155 S Seward St

Juneau,Alaska 99801-1332

Douglas Small Boat Harbor

Douglas Hwy

Juneau,Alaska 99801

Harris Harbor (Marina)

1226 Harbor Way

Juneau,Alaska 99801-1543

Clover Pass Resort (Hotel)

708 N Point Higgins Rd

Ketchikan,Alaska 99901-9431

Also this site has many free wi-fi hotspots listed: http://www.openwifispots.com/state_free_wifi_wireless_hotspot_Alaska_AK.aspx

So with a internet capable phone that has internet access and bluetooth to upload the pics....

We are on board the Voyager at the moment and yes, your internet rates are correct.

Although Verizon may have "free wifi wireless hotspots", I believe that, unless you are on shore, you are still going to be using Regent's signal. Many people are unpleasantly surprised by their cell bill when they see hundreds of dollars in charges they were not expecting. As far as I know, the only safe place to use your cell phone is off of the ship (and if you're too close, you may still pick up Regent's signal). Just something that is worth checking.

...I believe that, unless you are on shore, you are still going to be using Regent's signal..

I believe when a ship nears port, they are required to turn off their SeaLink service. It's possible Regent is different, so as you said, it is worth checking.

Although Verizon may have "free wifi wireless hotspots", I believe that, unless you are on shore, you are still going to be using Regent's signal. Many people are unpleasantly surprised by their cell bill when they see hundreds of dollars in charges they were not expecting. As far as I know, the only safe place to use your cell phone is off of the ship (and if you're too close, you may still pick up Regent's signal). Just something that is worth checking.

If there are several available, which 'hotspot' you connect to and which cell phone service you use is entirely within your own control.

It may be worth getting familiar with the options on your phone and your computer that let you make those choices to avoid the possibility of expensive surprises.

If there are several available, which 'hotspot' you connect to and which cell phone service you use is entirely within your own control.

It may be worth getting familiar with the options on your phone and your computer that let you make those choices to avoid the possibility of expensive surprises.

Are you certain it works that way in the United States as well are worldwide? I am quite familiar with my phone and it's options -- however, at least in the U.S., the ship's signal is the only one I can pick up. We are currently in the middle of the Atlantic ocean on the Voyager (between Cape Town and Rio) -- there are no such options that I am aware of with "regular" cell phones. Also, when on board Regent, all computers go through Regent's system -- no options.

My fear here is giving people information that could cause those expensive surprises.

For your PC you can choose which wireless network you connect to, if there is only one available as will be the case most of the time then obviously there isn't much you can do about it, but if there are other networks available while in port you can choose to use them via wireless.

Your phone will also tell you which carrier you are using, or at least both my USA and UK cell phones certainly do.

I move between the USA and the UK often so I certainly can get confused sometimes, but right now I'm in the UK and my USA phone will offer me a choice of about 6 different carriers but will automatically lock on to the strongest one. My UK phone defaults to my contracted carrier but can use others if I choose.

With the ship that is what is happening, if their system is turned on it will be giving the strongest signal and phones will tend to lock on to it if you let them, but you do have a choice or at the very least, you can see when it is using the ships system as the carrier name will change.

I know a lot of US cell phones can be pretty limited when it comes to roaming and carrier selection so perhaps some are less flexible or give you less information but I'd be very surprised if they gave you no indication at all that you were not using your contracted carrier.

For your PC you can choose which wireless network you connect to, if there is only one available as will be the case most of the time then obviously there isn't much you can do about it, but if there are other networks available while in port you can choose to use them via wireless.

Your phone will also tell you which carrier you are using, or at least both my USA and UK cell phones certainly do.

I move between the USA and the UK often so I certainly can get confused sometimes, but right now I'm in the UK and my USA phone will offer me a choice of about 6 different carriers but will automatically lock on to the strongest one. My UK phone defaults to my contracted carrier but can use others if I choose.

With the ship that is what is happening, if their system is turned on it will be giving the strongest signal and phones will tend to lock on to it if you let them, but you do have a choice or at the very least, you can see when it is using the ships system as the carrier name will change.

I know a lot of US cell phones can be pretty limited when it comes to roaming and carrier selection so perhaps some are less flexible or give you less information but I'd be very surprised if they gave you no indication at all that you were not using your contracted carrier.

Me too...what he said ;)

Thank you for the explanation. Yes -- you can see when you are roaming on your cell phone, however, I do not know how to change ti signal away from Regent's signal unless and until it is turned off.

The laptop is a different situation on board. You "do not have access" to the "local area connection" and have to assume that you are using the ship's signal (which, of course, is to their benefit).

IMO, it's just easier to use Regent's network and not worry about it. Once you have 21 days on Regent, you have unlimited internet access and 1 hour free phone usage. We turn our cell phone off for the duration of the cruise (exception if/when we are in a U.S. or Canadian port and are off the ship). :)

Thank you for the explanation. Yes -- you can see when you are roaming on your cell phone, however, I do not know how to change ti signal away from Regent's signal unless and until it is turned off.

If you need to know more about that check the phone manual for 'carrier selection'

The laptop is a different situation on board. You "do not have access" to the "local area connection" and have to assume that you are using the ship's signal (which, of course, is to their benefit).

'Local connection' will refer to a network cable which you will not have available of course, you don't have to assume anything though, your wireless connection will happily tell you where it is connecting be that the ship or some other source. If you are not sure where to see this then probably best to ask someone to show you but the majority of the time even when in port, the ships system will be the only game in town.

IMO, it's just easier to use Regent's network and not worry about it. Once you have 21 days on Regent, you have unlimited internet access and 1 hour free phone usage. We turn our cell phone off for the duration of the cruise (exception if/when we are in a U.S. or Canadian port and are off the ship). :)

No argument regarding using the free service of course :)

One of the best things about using a Mac VS a PC is the Airport feature which will allow you to scan for all available networks any a given area. As long as the signal is pretty strong you can choose from a list (and if the is no lock next to the chosen network it's a free wi-fi connection) and pick whichever one you want.

Example:

Picture1-5.png

I saw a few wi-fi hotspots that I know I will be able to access from onboard, probably on the balcony.

One of the best things about using a Mac VS a PC is the Airport feature which will allow you to scan for all available networks any a given area.

Happily a PC will do that too.

Just one extra comment, the lack of a lock just means it is not using secure encryption but it may still be using MAC blocking ( that is MAC address, not blocking Apple Mac's of course :) ) or require a sign-on via a web page so it may not actually allow you to gain internet access even if it does appear to be open.

You'll find this a lot at airports for example where there may be many 'open' networks but none of them actually give you free access.

Good to hear there are other networks within reach of the ship when in some ports.

Maybe we should compile a list of those that do give free access by port?

You are right of course Mark_T, it does not always work if the lock is not showing, but the free hotspots show up without a lock. This site lists alot of hotspots in Alaska:

http://v4.jiwire.com/search-wifi-hotspots.htm?city_id=5545 (this is for Juneau but you can enter any city)

Looking at Juneau, for instance, there is a listing for "Crew Ship Docks" (do you suppose they meant "Cruise Ship Docks"?). If you click on "Area Map" you can see how close they are to the water...anyway, you get the idea...

and this one lists some too:

http://www.openwifispots.com/state_free_wifi_wireless_hotspot_Alaska_AK.aspx

I am not familiar with the area that the ships dock in the various ports. I noticed some hotels, resorts, restaurants, marinas, etc. so I am fairly confident that I can pick up a signal.

I obviously am not aware of all of my cell phone features as I thought I was. However, when the power goes out where we live, I do seek out other networks. Regent does not authorize passengers to view other networks. Perhaps this has to do with networks that are used by the officers, etc.:confused:

• 1 month later...
leese...slightly off topic but, please tell me more about this vibration. Was it annoying? Was it constant? Would you avoid this deck/cabin in the future because of it?

What about noise from above? Below?

I am almost booked into cabin 945 so your opinion would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Colomom...this may be irrelevant by now (sorry for the delay) but...yes, it was annoying. One day I was trying to take a nap and there was no way it was going to happen. The vibration was non-stop for about an hour. That being said...that was not typical. Apparently it had something to do with trying to dock etc. All I know is that it was very bad. Typically it was as we were docking. The trouble with that was that, that was usually when we were still sleeping early in the morning.

Archived