Dinner Attire in Kings Court

twoatsea

One section will be buffet each night. It varies and is posted each day outside the Kings Court. The other sections adhere to the dress code and are by reservation. Your spouse would need at least a sports coat and you would need to "gear up" a bit to feel comfortable. You can always have room service.Enjoy:)

B.

One section will be buffet each night. It varies and is posted each day outside the Kings Court. The other sections adhere to the dress code and are by reservation.

Since when? Cunard says

Evening attire for the ship’s main restaurants' date=' effective from 1800hrs, will be specified in your ship’s Daily Programme and will be required to dine in the restaurants. [/quote']

Betsy's Mom is correct. You can wear what you want (apart from jeans, shorts & t-shirt) in the one buffet section in the King's Court each night.

Having said that, there was someone opposite us in the buffet section at 7.00pm on a formal night wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Yes :eek:. However, in the daily bulletin it will say the dress code is from 6 p.m., THROUGHOUT the ship. This does NOT mean wear "whatever" in King's Court. Still, as we've read, at nights in various quarters you'll see odd sights :).

Thank you for not flaming me. I know this is a 'touchy' subject with some on CC. However, we will be gone for 5 weeks and land traveling in Europe (our Rome apartment does not have elevators & no bellmen/women!). :eek: We absolutely will not carry extra weight (& space) caused by 3 formal nights on Cunard, out of 5 weeks of travel. We are taking one 24" checkin bag, one 22" carryon, & 2 carryon backpacks & they are full without formal wear! And for more than one reason, we will not 'rent' clothes that others have worn. Therefore, I wanted to know the 'conforming' attire for dinner in King's Court. I do appreciate everyone who tried to help, but today I called Cunard - now why didn't I think of that before! :rolleyes: Was interesting - not necessarily matching what some on CC propose.

In case anyone else wants to know, the conforming dress code for dinner in King's Court is elegant casual - every night, even on formal nights, in all 4 sections of King's Court, even Chef's Galley. Elegant casual was described as a collared polo shirt, slacks, & jacket for men, and slacks/blouse/pants suit for women.

When I asked, (since I have often seen this on CC) I was advised that those choosing to dine in King's Court & therefore dress appropriately in elegant casual are NOT expected to hide in their cabin all evening prior to & after dining in King's Court. I was advised that is in no way expected by Cunard. Thank you Cunard for being reasonable. :) However, I was also advised that adherence to the evening's dress code is expected if attending some evening venues. Thankfully, DH & I are mature and socially educated enough to make appropriate decisions in that area.

Regarding the 4 dinner areas of King's Court - I was advised that only Chef's Galley requires reservations. That the other 3 areas rotate as a buffet each evening & do not require reservations. None of the 4 areas of King's Court charge a fee.

Regarding being in a minority if we walk the decks in our 'conforming' King's Court elegant casual attire on formal nights, that will not bother us. We long ago graduated from high school & left behind such foolish matters.

Now I can check that issue off of my travel to do list.

Regarding the 4 dinner areas of King's Court - I was advised that only Chef's Galley requires reservations. That the other 3 areas rotate as a buffet each evening & do not require reservations. None of the 4 areas of King's Court charge a fee.

Perhaps once aboard you will find, as many of us have over the years, that Cunard shoreside has many answers for the same question, not always correct.

You will also find that the different venues in Kings Court change with the evening and on my last 3 trips when we entertained the idea of eating there found they were booked for the evening by early afternoon. Menues for dinner are available at different areas at the entrances to Kings Court...you will often see "Booked" stamped across the listing. This is not uncommon and you would be wise to check on boarding if that is to be your preferred dining experience. Pity...the dining rooms are delightful in all regards.

The above information is offered with all due respect to shoreside who have not been on the ships in most instances to experience what the rest of us have.

I'll echo my friend SeaMates..."enjoy your transportation". Pity you'll miss some of the best of the experience.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but booked for at least 10 days somewhere

We absolutely will not carry extra weight (& space) caused by 3 formal nights on Cunard, out of 5 weeks of travel.

Good for you! And wonderful to see someone using the QM2 for her traditional purpose - a ferry. Some enjoy 'Ground Hog Day Prom Night' - others don't - and thank goodness you've got the wit to not be put off by the 'If you don't enjoy dressing formally don't sail on Cunard' brigade. I don't know what you call that - but its certainly not 'good manners'.

Enjoy your crossing! And may it be the first of many!

Peter

I'm new to this Board and therefore wish to tread carefully. I must admit, however, to some frustration over yet another query from someone who summarily dismisses the concept of dressing formally, on the QM or presumably at any other time, as suitable only for a high school "prom" or some other juvenile event that a mature traveler has presumably "outgrown" at some point. This attitude seems to pop up regularly on this Board, normally in the form of "I'm too worldly wise to dress formally" or "I'm too busy to dress formally" or "I'm too well traveled to dress formally" or some such nonsense. To say that I disagree utterly with this attitude would be an understatement, and I simply wish to express my position that this attitude is worthy of all the distain that greets it on this Board. There, I said it.

Several months ago I had the temerity to ask if there was a venue on board QV where we could eat OCCASIONALLY (not formal nights) where my husband could go without a jacket. Some folks were most helpful, others not-so-kindly suggested we were not worthy of sailing on Cunard. It was upsetting to say the least. We will take the trip, dress nicely, and have a good time despite all of that.

One must make allowances, it seems that the OP is travelling through Europe without a jacket so will probably be gastrically attuned to buffets and fast food as they plainly won't be eating anywhere nice. A dark blazer and matching trousers make a suit which perhaps others might wear for each meal, formal or not. But live and let live and try the cheeseburger, it's cheesey.

Some folks were most helpful, others not-so-kindly suggested we were not worthy of sailing on Cunard.

Mercifully on board the ship you will find many of the former and very few of the latter.....as if 'what other people are wearing' could spoil your voyage! :rolleyes:

I must admit, however, to some frustration over yet another query from someone who summarily dismisses the concept of dressing formally

Which part of:

We absolutely will not carry extra weight (& space) caused by 3 formal nights on Cunard, out of 5 weeks of travel.

Was unclear? :rolleyes:

Several months ago I had the temerity to ask if there was a venue on board QV where we could eat OCCASIONALLY (not formal nights) where my husband could go without a jacket. Some folks were most helpful, others not-so-kindly suggested we were not worthy of sailing on Cunard. It was upsetting to say the least. We will take the trip, dress nicely, and have a good time despite all of that.

There is, I venture to suggest, a vast difference between saying "is there somewhere that I can...." and "I'm going to ignore it because it is my holiday...."

And sometimes it is nice to loll around in one's cabin and not make the effort. Especially on longer trips. That's actually part of the attraction of a three week trip - one falls into the home from home routine far more.

Although the people at Cunard can be helpful, they are not always entirely accurate. Its a minor point, but as pb82 pointed out, and on our trip a few weeks ago, reservations were needed in the Kings Court for both the Chef's Galley, and the A La Carte restaurant/s. The buffet section/s didn't need a reservation. Do book early if you are planning not to do the buffet, as by the time we came for breakfast in the mornings, the reserved restaurants were always fully booked. We didn't get to eat there in the evenings, but our table mates who did, especially enjoyed the Chef's Galley and the Indian evening.

Lesley

There is, I venture to suggest, a vast difference between saying "is there somewhere that I can...." and "I'm going to ignore it because it is my holiday...."

I agree - the issue is that the former are frequently met with the bile invited by the latter. I would have hoped one of the hall marks of Cunard passengers was good manners and a friendly welcome - unfortunately some assume that those who do not wish to dress formally (on what will be about 10% of their time onboard) should not be welcome on Cunard ships - I find that poorer manners than dressing inappropriately in the Dining Room.

My partner and I are sailing on QM2 for my 40th in December - 1st time cruisers. I must say, the dresscode is a bit of a tricky one and some of these posts make it sound like there are right fuddy duddy's on board.:p We'll be taking a couple of really dressy outfits (tux and evening dress) and that will be it. My partner's only 37, so a tie is out of the question -no-one wears a tie these days - not if you're under 65 anyway! He'll still look smart nevertheless. We'll be sailing from NY to the Caribbean - when will it start to get warm? Day 2,3?

Archived