Panama Canal Questions

mikjr

We're booked on the Maasdam in March 28 days r/t from San Diego.

I find the itinerary a bit ambiguous and have a question about the canal visit itself...

The itinerary says:

Arrive at Fuerte Amador at 6pm on March 28 and that it's a tendered port. I've read some bad reports about the rough water and that there's really not that much to see at night.

March 29, it says Fuerte Amador, 4AM TR, indicating another tender operation... but at 4:00 AM???

March 29... "enter Panama Canal Balboa", 5AM CO, indication cruise only...

March 29... "exit Panama Canal, Cristobal", 7PM CO

So I guess the question is... do we only have an opportunity to see Panama at night on March 28 and March 29 at 4AM??

I'd appreciate any info from those that have taken this cruise

thanks

Mike

I find the itinerary a bit ambiguous and have a question about the canal visit itself...

The itinerary says:

Arrive at Fuerte Amador at 6pm on March 28 and that it's a tendered port. I've read some bad reports about the rough water and that there's really not that much to see at night.

March 29, it says Fuerte Amador, 4AM TR, indicating another tender operation... but at 4:00 AM???

The 4:00 AM time is the departure time from Fuerte Amador -- since you enter the canal at 5:00 AM.

So I guess the question is... do we only have an opportunity to see Panama at night on March 28 and March 29 at 4AM??

thanks

Mike

You have the evening in Panama.

The itinerary says:

thanks

Mike

I am on the Jan. 22 sailing with the same itinerary. The shore excursion brochure give three options. That's it! My question, though is: Do the tenders run all night? There is little information regarding this stop. I am sorry we are not there in the daytime to get some time in Panama City.

Terri

:) we did the canal in january, a 41 day r/t from ft. Lauderdale and stopped at fuerte amador coming and going. Believe me you are not missing much in panama city also many sections dangerous both day and night. There is a nice restaurant etc at fuerte amador when we stopped in the evening tenders ran all night. You arrive in the evening and depart at 4am there are cabs and i believe a city bus also runs into town. But be very careful about where you go and hold on to your belongings. On our day stop, we took an hal tour which was one of the worst tours we ever took. It was a city tour with a few stops at most places closed because it was sunday the highlite was a run by noriega's house. So you got to look at the wall around it.

Tendering was awful when we did it in March. It was so rough getting onto the tender, that I fell and so did others. We chose not to tour. At 6:00 pm, nothing to see but the terminal with shops. And some restaurants on the pier. Walked through the overpriced stores, bought some wine and a hat and return to the ship. Still rough waters getting back on the ship. Not worth it. People that toured were held in one of the buildings during the tour as there were gunfire heard close by.Maybe a daytime stop would be okay .Should I do this again at night, no way will we get off. Just enjoy the fabulous experience the next day going through the Canal. It was a big Wow.

FRANKIEDNYC & San Diego Sue .... Thank you both so much for the information on Fuerte Amador/Panama City!

On an upcoming cruise we have an evening port stop there and had already decided to NOT go to Panama City. Possibly, we will go to Fuerte Amador for a bit ... just to get off the ship for a while.

From your reports it seems we will be making the right decision!

Last tender returned to the ship at midnight when we were there. Walked around the port area after an excursion - not much to see. There is a very small duty free shop with decent wine prices and a shaved ice stand that was quite good (and only $2). The only internet access is in the hallway just outside the duty free shop. There were only three working computers and people were waiting an hour to get online.

The port office will stamp your passport if you remember to bring it ashore.

Archived