Is it too cold to snorkel in Dec?

primetimegirl

We snorkeled on a cool windy day in Nassau last October. Water temperature was so much warmer than the air, that I stayed and wrinkled until our tour boat came back to get us. It was fun, and we saw a few fish and found a dead sea buscuit. Looks like a sanddollar but much bigger.

In any of those ports you'll be fine snorkeling in December, unless you are unlucky enough to catch a freakish cold front.

One suggestion - if you're going out on a boat snorkeling trip you might consider bringing a light windbreaker style jacket (the kind with the plastic "shell" exterior); after you've been in the water for a bit & then hop back in the boat, the breeze sometimes gets chilly. I've always done this on scuba trips, even in the summer. People sometimes look at me like I'm crazy when I put on the windbreaker & it's 90 degrees outside, then when the boat starts moving they look at me in envy.

It really depends on the person. We cruised for our honeymoon in January many moons ago. I thought the water was fine, but my wife got very cold. If you chill easily you might want to take along a springsuit or shorty to help keep some of the heat in.

It really depends on the person. We cruised for our honeymoon in January many moons ago. I thought the water was fine, but my wife got very cold. If you chill easily you might want to take along a springsuit or shorty to help keep some of the heat in.

I think it also depends on where you are from, when we lived up North and came down to Miami in February my kids jumped right in the water while my brother, who had lived in Florida for 10+ years stood on the beach in long pants and a leather coat shivering :D

What felt wonderfully warm to us at that time, was really chilly to him!! Now that we have been down here a few years, I shiver when its 70 too! :p

I think it also depends on where you are from, when we lived up North and came down to Miami in February my kids jumped right in the water while my brother, who had lived in Florida for 10+ years stood on the beach in long pants and a leather coat shivering :D

What felt wonderfully warm to us at that time, was really chilly to him!! Now that we have been down here a few years, I shiver when its 70 too! :p

That is so true. If you go to the beach in Jan. and see someone in shorts you know they are from Canada!! :D We've lived in Alabama for 9 years and I went to Ohio in March and nearly froze.

Look at water temps. I've snorkeled in 74 but the outside temps were in 80's. The last time, I had a shortie wet suit and was comfortable in the water. But, I was comfortable without it on a sunny day with no breeze. You will need a coverup when you get OUT of the water, most likely :D. And, it's personal preference at those temps. I agree it may also depend on where you are from!

That is so true. If you go to the beach in Jan. and see someone in shorts you know they are from Canada!! :D We've lived in Alabama for 9 years and I went to Ohio in March and nearly froze.

That really is so funny! My nieces live in Jacksonville FL and we went to Disney World on spring break. They were in the pool at night (in March) with chattering teeth and blue lips. I told them they looked like little Yankee children - no southerners were in that water in March! :p

I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. I want to go on the Royal Dolphin Swim in Cozumel - it will be January 2nd. Will it be warm enough? And warm enough to enjoy the beach afterwards?

We are booked on the Triumph on December 12. Our ports are Key West, Freeport, and Nassau. Will it be too cold to snorkel?

You are getting a lot of yeses from people that have snorkeled in the Caribbean in Dec. You are not going to the Caribbean, you are sailing in the Atlantic, 500 to 1000 miles north of the Caribbean. You will MOST likely be OK, but it is the Atlantic and could be cold. The waters around all your ports are very shallow [often only 3 to 6 feet deep] so they are easily heated by the sun. Should not be a problem, but it is still the Atlantic!

We Canadians are a hardy bunch. I can't imagine that the water down there coud ever feel cool to me after swimming in the North Atlantic.

The water temps could be in the mid 70's and the air temps in the mid 60's

So, say 76 degree water and 66 degree air with a 6 to 8 mph breeze. That is pretty chilly on a wet body! Not COLD, but not real Snuggly either!:D

Well hi there neighbor! Read through all the posts before I got to your last one and realized you were from Petal. We live in Madison, but been spending a lot of time in Hattiesburg lately at all the USM games. :) Although we're not actually cruising until June, my DH and I are going to be in Key West the weekend before Thanksgiving and are planning to do a snorkeling trip. I've been a little concerned about the water temps too. Not sure how much can change in 3 weeks, but I'll be glad to let you know how it was in Key West at least. Are you sailing out of either Mobile or New Orleans?

I have been wondering the same thing. We are going on the Ecstasy on February 15 and will be visiting Progreso and Cozumel. I'm hoping the beaches will still be an option for us at that time. We are from Oklahoma and it will be quite cold here but my son is from Maui, Hawaii and it is usually warm there all year long. I guess he will be the one with the blue lips shivering.

You are getting a lot of yeses from people that have snorkeled in the Caribbean in Dec. You are not going to the Caribbean, you are sailing in the Atlantic, 500 to 1000 miles north of the Caribbean. You will MOST likely be OK, but it is the Atlantic and could be cold. The waters around all your ports are very shallow [often only 3 to 6 feet deep] so they are easily heated by the sun. Should not be a problem, but it is still the Atlantic!

Exactly, that's why I advise checking the water temps. There are several sites that can give you current and average water temps.

Well hi there neighbor! Yes, love the Eagles! We have a nephew & his wife that live in Madison. He is one of the band directors there. Our pastor lived there before moving to Petal in Feb. I would love to hear from you when you get back from Key West! We are sailing out of New Orleans on the Triumph for 7 days. Mobile would be easier, but liked the itinerary on this one.

Archived