Is it too cold to snorkel in Dec?

primetimegirl

That is so true. If you go to the beach in Jan. and see someone in shorts you know they are from Canada!! :D We've lived in Alabama for 9 years and I went to Ohio in March and nearly froze.

Well, I am from Canada and I hate the cold!! The hotter the better for both air and water temps. Hawaii, or Turks & Caicos, and even Caymans in the winter (ranging Dec-Feb) was a bit chilly for me. By the time you're south enough like Jamaica it's better. We're primarily divers, but when we snorkel I still wear a wet suit - a shortie. Ya, call me a wimp, but I like to be comfortable. It also gives you buoyancy and makes it so much easier to float around for a nice long time.

I have been wondering the same thing. We are going on the Ecstasy on February 15 and will be visiting Progreso and Cozumel. I'm hoping the beaches will still be an option for us at that time. We are from Oklahoma and it will be quite cold here but my son is from Maui, Hawaii and it is usually warm there all year long. I guess he will be the one with the blue lips shivering.

The OP was asking about the Bahamas and Key West. That is Atlantic Ocean, many miles from the Caribbean Sea.

YOU will be in the Caribbean Sea. Expect water temps close to 80 and air temps above 80. You will be somewhere between 1000 and 2000 miles from the Bahamas.

Archived